<edit> Update

After messing around with CS reps, I spoke to a supervisor today to request a refund since I didn't want to wait for the case to come in. He was wonderful! I guess the first rep was new and the second was just doing his job. The second rep was very nice and tried hard to help me. So, the supervisor Alex, took control and completely resolved the issue. Thank you Alex! I have an iPad case I can't use, but he told me to keep it, so I'm going to donate it to a local school. He canceled my Commuter case order, but not really. He's going to send me a Commuter case for free when they come in and he refunded the charge to my credit card. So, I will have been charged nothing. I feel guilty about that, so donating the iPad case to a school makes me feel a bit better. Honestly, despite the rocky start of this order process, Alex's quick action and gregarious and affable demeanor more than made up for it. I told him I would update my initial complaint post because he was so incredibly nice and went above and beyond to make things right. This is the Otterbox I know! :-)

--------------------------- <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>
    So, I've been waiting for 2 weeks for my new Otterbox Commuter case. It arrived today, but it was an iPad 1 commuter case. I called Otterbox. They said they could put my order in so the correct case would ship when it came in. Naturally, they don't know when that will be. I said no, I want to return this and I want a refund. He gave me the RMA. I asked about shipping. He told me "You would pay for shipping". "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you correctly". "You would pay for shipping because it's a return". I asked him why I should pay to return an order they messed up? "It's your fault I received the wrong product." He said, "I offered to ship the correct case to you when it comes in". I told him, since you might not have the case for 6 months, that's not an option". I will not pay to ship an incorrect order back to Otterbox. He was disgusted and said he would put in a request for a shipping label, but that it has to be approved before it can go out. He said "I'll do it for you THIS time". I asked him what that was supposed to mean? He said he'd request the shipping label.

If this is how Otterbox runs its business, I will never order anything from them again. How does it make sense for me to pay to ship back a product I should have never received to begin with? Are they insane? The CS Rep Patrick was also disgusted and not very consumer friendly, as if it was my fault that they sent me the wrong order. Nope, not going to buy anything from them again.
    12-03-2011 05:41 PM
    So, I've been waiting for 2 weeks for my new Otterbox Commuter case. It arrived today, but it was an iPad 1 commuter case. I called Otterbox. They said they could put my order in so the correct case would ship when it came in. Naturally, they don't know when that will be. I said no, I want to return this and I want a refund. He gave me the RMA. I asked about shipping. He told me "You would pay for shipping". "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you correctly". "You would pay for shipping because it's a return". I asked him why I should pay to return an order they messed up? "It's your fault I received the wrong product." He said, "I offered to ship the correct case to you when it comes in". I told him, since you might not have the case for 6 months, that's not an option". I will not pay to ship an incorrect order back to Otterbox. He was disgusted and said he would put in a request for a shipping label, but that it has to be approved before it can go out. He said "I'll do it for you THIS time". I asked him what that was supposed to mean? He said he'd request the shipping label.

If this is how Otterbox runs its business, I will never order anything from them again. How does it make sense for me to pay to ship back a product I should have never received to begin with? Are they insane? The CS Rep Patrick was also disgusted and not very consumer friendly, as if it was my fault that they sent me the wrong order. Nope, not going to buy anything from them again.
    That's why I prefer brick and mortar (though I also order online).
    And personally unless it's the defender otterbox is a little pricey for not as good protection.

Sent from my SGS II
    12-03-2011 09:09 PM
    Yeah, in retrospect, maybe it was a good thing they sent me the wrong case. It is pricey for what it is. I don't normally buy online unless it's a brick and mortar so I can return it to the store if anything goes wrong. Still, so many people have ordered from Otterbox that I thought it would be okay. I just can't believe how awful the rep was for something that was their fault. Well, they lost one customer, anyway. I learned my lesson.
    12-03-2011 10:14 PM
    They need to pay for return shipping or you get to keep the item. Then you could sell it or trade it. There is no way anyone would agree that you need to pay for return shipping on their mistake. Don't do it....!
    If they give you grief, contact your credit card or your bank.
    12-04-2011 12:01 AM
    Yeah, in retrospect, maybe it was a good thing they sent me the wrong case. It is pricey for what it is. I don't normally buy online unless it's a brick and mortar so I can return it to the store if anything goes wrong. Still, so many people have ordered from Otterbox that I thought it would be okay. I just can't believe how awful the rep was for something that was their fault. Well, they lost one customer, anyway. I learned my lesson.
    If you don't like the corners on the Ballistic (yeah they are big but drop protection is awesome) then the Case-Mate Toughcase offers as good protection as the Commuter for cheaper.
    12-04-2011 08:27 PM
    Well I've looked at a few other cases and I think the Ballistic is the best choice. There aren't a lot of cases for the S2, which surprises me. I can't believe Otterbox has the SR covered already, but the S2 is still left hanging. Anyway, I'll live with the corners. I care most about drop protection and this case has that covered. Thanks for your help.
    12-04-2011 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD