A Wole Day Use?

rubenoso

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I am thinking of switching my Bold 9900 for a SGS2. The only concern I have is if the battery will get me through the whole day on a charge. I expect the screen on time will be about 4hrs with 3G all the time. Mostly texting, surfing, phone calls, and some light gaming.

By a whole day I mean from 8am to 1am (17hrs). Consider that the phone will be stock and any benefits from a custom rom would just be a plus.

aBrant5

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I use mine similar to the way you would use yours. I know that I would not be able to get through a period of time that long on one battery life. Battery goes by pretty fast on this phone. As time goes on you learn how to conserve it.

Reactions: rubenoso

DroidBehavior

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
your gona get mixed opinions on that

for the first 2 weeks my battery was down and up

right now its beyond good
i havent charged since last night 7am, i had a full charge and went to work at 9 pandora on the WHOLE time till 5 30pm

get home im still at 56%
light use since than, browsing ,texting , looking for new apps

today im at 28%, but to be honest it took a long time to achieve this battery, the calibration is good

also i am rooted since last week but my battery hasnt changed, maybe better but not worse, i purposely did not charge it today to see how long it lasts

4 hours of on screen time is not bad either, i used to listen to pandora all day at work and watch 2 movies on automatic brightness, the battery drains a lot faster while watching a movie but i can still go from 9am to 6pm with HEAVY use without a charge, ofc i would have to charge pretty soon i would be about 14% if i did that heavy

but moderate will easily get u 12+ hours

jjb70

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't NOT buy the phone for this reason. If you really want it, just pick up a spare battery for $10 online.
But the first week or so the battery will not last as long. I found that keeping GPS off all the time unless need dramatically increased my battery life. I'm at 52% battery right now after 14 hours of up time with moderate usage. I bet I would get 12 hours with heavy usage which is plenty adequate for this nice of a screen.;)

dedapr

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
In my experience...no! This ph does everything well but at a cost of high battery drain.

I carry a total of 3 batteries and often use them all in a 12-14 hr period. Unless you often put it in a desk charger and connect it to power in your car, multiple batteries are a must. If you ONLY use it as a phone mostly in stand-by mode, the battery will easily last around 24 hrs, but not if you text, email, game, watch any video, surf etc.

I have heard the new Galaxy Nexus has about the best battery life of any phone yet.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
My phone is on from approx. 5:30am to 9:30/10pm evey day without an issue.
I will also agree with what has been stated above that the battery life appears to be getting better after the first few charges.

As a fall back I have a charger in my truck and a wall charger at work as a "just in case"

sdmark

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I use the a profile app to automatically adjust my settings. I have airplane mode on while I'm sleeping, data on but no sync while I'm at work, and then everything on for about 5 hours at night and I can easily get 2 days with light to moderate usage.

With heavy usage I think it's a stretch to get 17 hours. Turn the brightness down, lower the screen timeout, make sure the gps isn't running...you might be able to do it! (also make sure AP mobile isn't running)

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
In my experience...no! This ph does everything well but at a cost of high battery drain.

I carry a total of 3 batteries and often use them all in a 12-14 hr period. Unless you often put it in a desk charger and connect it to power in your car, multiple batteries are a must. If you ONLY use it as a phone mostly in stand-by mode, the battery will easily last around 24 hrs, but not if you text, email, game, watch any video, surf etc.

I have heard the new Galaxy Nexus has about the best battery life of any phone yet.
What are you doing that you need 3 batteries to make it through 12 hours? I use my phone a lot, calls, browsing, text, streaming etc... and can still make it through a day easily with decent battery life still left... in fact this phone is a little better then my iphone 4 in battery life which imo had excellent life.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Most days my phone is on for 15-16 hours. I turn it off and charge every night. I usually end the day at 40-50% battery left. That's with three email accounts with instant alerts on and Ebay alerts. I have one home screen and no widgets. I check Facebook frequently and use the internet a lot for research. My screen brightness is set to 30%.

hurley81388

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
hey guys, thanks for this thread.

switched to the skyrocket from a 2 year-old 3GS 10 days ago and have really been disappointed in the battery life even though there's no LTE here yet.

My day usually lasts from 530 AM until around 6 or 7 PM at night and it looks like you guys are getting through 12+ hours with plenty of battery left which is encouraging.

I can't decide whether or not to switch from my skyrocket to the 4S or GS2. I know the 4s is the safe bet because it will definitely get that kind of battery life but the screen is also much smaller and is less powerful. any suggestions?

EDIT: also, one more question about the GS2. one thing that REALLY bothers me about my skyrocket is that it does not support bluetooth initiated voice dialing. for example, i have a plantronics voyager pro BT headset and it is really convenient to long-press the headset button to activate the voice dial with either of my iphones or any dumb phone i've ever used. I just then say "call so-and so" and it will do it. however, the skyrocket does not support this feature and i chatted with samsung tech support and it sounds like they have no plans to do so. seems ridiculous for a 250 dollar phone. does the S2 work well with BT headset voice dialing?

Last edited:

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I used to keep GPS on all day and I could get home after work with like 10% battery. Today I shut GPS off and I was still at 50% at 11pm.

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

polobreaka

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
i can last all day with this phone. i took it off the charger at 12am to do some idle wakelock testing and lasted til 11pm with moderate use. i leave wifi and data on. my screen brightness at 25%. i turn off sync and BT.