This is an odd one that I should have looked into sooner. Actually, I should have swapped the phone out while I had a chance, but ignored it for too long thinking I surely wasn't the only one having the problem.

I searched the forums and don't see anyone with the same issue. Here's what I believe it is:

My phone will freeze. The screen will be off, I will have no awareness of it until I pick it up and realize that the phone won't power on and it feels warm to the touch. At first I thought it was random, but then I noticed it happened only after I was set to receive a text message. This seems to only happen after I receive an initial text message and the thread continues with the same person. Perhaps it happens even if another person texts, but that's just what I've noticed thus far.

I uninstalled Handcent SMS because I was using the Pop-up from it (with the high quality background blur setting), but it's been doing it long since I uninstalled that app.

I've been letting it go because it doesn't happen that often, and the phone boots up SO fast, but now it's just getting on my last nerve as it also drains my battery when it happens.

I notice the battery gets hot and the section just to the right of the camera gets hot as well when this happens.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do.
    12-15-2011 06:14 PM
    Mine gets rather warm in the same area too at times. Totally random, though usually while playing a game or watching a video.
    12-16-2011 08:04 AM
    Right. Mine tends to keep getting hotter and hotter until I notice it. If I didn't mess with my phone so much I suspect it's capable of blowing the battery.

I have noticed that it may have happened after receiving an e-mail, but it almost always happens because of text messaging.
    12-16-2011 03:30 PM
    I think you jinxed me. Was browsing the web texting my wife when my phone froze, got hot and rebooted. After it restarted I had three new texts..
    Only difference is today I updated to 2.3.6, hope that's not the problem.
    12-16-2011 06:33 PM
    Guess it is a problem peculiar to your phones, I haven't experienced that before or perhaps haven't been paying attention. The first GSII I got however froze a lot before I swapped for a new one. Trying a factory reset may offer a solution though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    12-17-2011 10:10 AM
    I've noticed that mine would freeze when im on the phone sometimes. I would pick up the phone and want to look ups something and its black and have a hot screen i really hope its not a big issue and hope it can be fixed
    12-22-2011 06:31 AM
    It's still happening after the update.

Though I noticed it's not necessarily because of text messages anymore, but I think it has something to do with push-notifications.

-I uninstalled facebook to see if that would help. Still happens
    -I'm contemplating disabling Gmail from giving me notifications

I'll have to try a few other things, but I'm hoping it's just a software issue.
    12-27-2011 05:32 PM
    Another update:

I've noticed that the issue happens only during or shortly after charging the telephone. It typically occurs shortly after (maybe a few minutes?) a text message is received, but only after it has been disconnected from the charger or during a charge, so it may not be due to incoming text messages
    12-28-2011 04:36 PM
    I haven't had that issue yet and I text frequently. Though, when charging, the same locations, prev mentioned, heat up. At one point, while in my car and charging, the phone gave me a warning and stopped charging because it was overheating. I had the heat on in the car. I took the battery cover off and held my phone out of the car window to cool it down.
    12-29-2011 07:50 PM
    It basically comes down to this:

If I charge the phone at all - the next push notification or text message I receive locks up the phone. The only problem is that it happens silently and I have no idea until my battery has drained significantly.
    12-30-2011 12:30 PM
    Have you tried a different battery? A faulty battery could cause it to over heat while charging.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    12-30-2011 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD