Miss my silence button from iphone

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
. Try widget locker. I think you can still use the volume buttons with widget locker if you check the settings.

Correct; using Widget Locker will enable the volume rocker to wake, then silence the phone without having to take it out to do so. Also, WL allows vibrate, etc. widgets to be placed on its lockscreen for a quick out/toggle action that does not require waking up the phone. The Beautiful Widgets app has some nice, themed toggle widgets, as well as an accurate battery widget that work well on WL.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you have nothing nice to say, or constructive to add, then please just move on. No need for the rude responses. This will be the only warning given. Thanks.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Kevin. The more I use android, the more I find capabilities that the phone has that I didn't realize. I won't let small minded people keep me from asking about features. I often find there is a way to do what I want. It isn't whining, it is research.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Question about widget locker. It seems like a way to do this... but I still need security. Is there any way that widget locker can have a code so I can do without the regular pattern or pin lock? If not, it means that in order to have the silence function up front in case of emergency, I have to go through 2 doors instead of one all the time.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the stock security. Once you unlock with widget locker it will take you to the password screen. You should be able yo control the volume without unlocking though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Martavious

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Coming from a 3GS to a GS2 I miss the mute toggle on the side as well. The best way I've found to emulate this isn't as simple and takes a little practice but is viable. It achieves the same goal so as to not pulling out your phone in an inappropriate time (church, meetings, etc) and swiping around on the screen.

Grip the phone so your index finger is on the power button. Hit the power button once (that turns on the screen and gets you to the lock screen). Now press and hold the power button for a second or two. This brings up the 3 options to mute/airplane/power off the phone. With your thumb you should be able to tap the mute option pretty easily. Again for me it took some practice to find that right spot otherwise you are either missing the first box high or you hit the airplane mode.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!! I appreciate the validation!. My only issue with your solution...which is probably the best solution.... is that it vibrates when you turn the sound on... or off. with my iphone, I would reach into my pocket to confirm the phone was off and flick the switch.... both ways.. until it vibrated.. which it only did when you were silencing it.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I found a way around this.. If you set the phone to vibrate only when sound is off, you only get a vibrate when you turn the sound off on that screen... I love having it always to vibrate but I'll pay the price....

Martavious

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I found a way around this.. If you set the phone to vibrate only when sound is off, you only get a vibrate when you turn the sound off on that screen... I love having it always to vibrate but I'll pay the price....

Good thinking .. Minor annoyance losing the vibrate all the time but you pick your battles ... glad you got a workaround that's not a huge hassle .. :D

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
another solution:

Locale, tasker or other such software.

software that shuts the ringer off based on location.. so you can put it to vibrate whenever you are in your church sanctuary....

Last edited:

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Question about widget locker. It seems like a way to do this... but I still need security. Is there any way that widget locker can have a code so I can do without the regular pattern or pin lock? If not, it means that in order to have the silence function up front in case of emergency, I have to go through 2 doors instead of one all the time.

WL allows you to leave the phone locked and still access a selection of functions, some of which will go ahead and launch, others will not. E.g., the Beautiful Widgets toggles (which include both vibrate and silent options) will work when the phone wakes and the WL screen is displayed. The same is true for ICE Emergency, an app that will allow bystanders or paramedics to access important medical information, and even to call pre-selected emergency contacts with the push of a button. On the other hand, most widgets on the WL lockscreen (including the unlock slider) will take you to whatever security lockscreen you had set up using the Settings menu for the phone, either a pin or swipe, or whatever your rom will use. http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i437/chaplain1/WLscreen-1.png

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chaplain. The problem with widget locker is that it doesn't include a security pin or pattern... Ideally, all the things in widget locker would be present on the security screen... or a security screen as part of widget locker. As it is, it means you have to clear widget locker... then the security screen. Too many steps. Basically what we need is a security screen with a few holes in it to do apps/widgets without having to open the phone with the security code.. OR have the choice to bypass all the widgets/apps and just open the phone with the code...

not sure I explained that well.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, back to the original issue: Using WL on a GS2 will allow you to silence the phone still in your pocket by using the down volume rocker. If you have enabled vibration/always or vibration/only in silent mode in the phone settings, the phone will vibrate when it has been completely silenced. To accomplish this with WL, you have to enter the WL settings menu and enable "Easy Wake Mode."

EDIT: If the phone settings are set to Sound/Vibrate/Only When Not in Silent Mode, the phone will not vibrate when a call is received.

Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I need to be able to reach in my pocket and turn off the sound...
Five options:
1. Slide the lockscreen notification to open the app and unlock the phone
2. Hold down the Volumn down button
3. Put SilentMode OnOff toggle on the lockscreen with Executive Assistant or WidgetLocker Lockscreen
4. Use Light Flow to automatically turn off sounds during times you can't have sounds.
5. Use Tasker to automatically turn off sounds at certain times or when you are at a location such as work or school.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
You can still use the system security with widget locker. After you unlock with widget locker it will take you to the password/slider screen.

radman202

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
thx. It is too cumbersome. It is too bad widget locker doesn't have a security screen built into its main page with the widgets that go around it..... Going through page after page to open the phone each time is too cumbersome.

2ndaccord

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Well there are plenty of options but none will fit what you're looking for. Guess its time for a new phone then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar