05-08-2012 08:13 AM
223 1234 ...
tools
    I gave it a couple of days after performing a factory reset and I'm still having the same issue. After 12 hours yesterday I was at 21% battery. This included 12 minutes of phone calls, very light internet usage and my usual checking of emails. Before the update I would have had 55-66% of my battery left. Let's hope Samsung puts out a bug fix for this.
    12-27-2011 07:10 AM
    I did a factory reset and that didn't solve my problem :/..

1 hour and 30 min idle.. took 8% battery life, so roughly 5% per hour.. I've been having battery issue since 2.3.4 and I have no clue what's causing it. I'm really annoyed with my battery drain... Don't know what I can do about it.. I have to bring my car charger where ever I decide to go.. leave it plug in whenever I can
    12-28-2011 02:05 AM
    Everyone who is having a battery issue since the 2.3.6 update needs to go to the Samsung website and either call support or use the live chat feature so that Samsung is aware of the issue.
    When I called a few days ago they claimed they had no record of any type of "battery issue with the 2.3.6 update"
    12-28-2011 07:05 AM
    So I spoke to AT&T about it today and they have confirmed that after the 2.3.6 update, the battery for the SGSII is considered defective. Therefore, they are shipping folks new batteries. Oh and you get to keep the old one since they consider it defective.

Call them ASAP.
    12-28-2011 01:06 PM
    So I spoke to AT&T about it today and they have confirmed that after the 2.3.6 update, the battery for the SGSII is considered defective. Therefore, they are shipping folks new batteries. Oh and you get to keep the old one since they consider it defective.

Call them ASAP.
    Really? I have to call to get the free battery? I was already considering buying a new battery on eBay to see if it was the battery problem.
    12-28-2011 01:38 PM

Call them ASAP.

I will be calling them when I get home from work tonight.
    12-28-2011 01:42 PM

Call them ASAP.
    I just live chatted both Samsung and AT&T support. Samsung told me it might be a hardware issue and I should send my phone to them to be examined by a technician and AT&T told me to contact Samsung because the software is theirs. I'll try calling AT&T support when I get home from work.
    12-28-2011 02:17 PM
    The upgrade installed on my rooted SGS2 without a problem. I have had no phone issues and, having recently moved from blackberry to android, my experience on BB has been that anytime I changed or upgraded the OS, the battery had to settle in. I have had no battery problems after the upgrade but I would recommend letting the battery run down and recycle a time or two before assuming the sky is falling.
    12-28-2011 04:10 PM
    Not sure how a new battery would fix the issue, but I could be wrong?
    I had 2 new batteries 1 OEM Samsung and 1 Hyperion and the battery drain still occurrs when I charged and installed them both.
    12-28-2011 05:30 PM
    Did a live chat with AT&T, they're sending me a new battery to test out... after 1 hour of chat.
    12-28-2011 08:20 PM
    Well I got my new free battery today. I charged it up and I'm at 87% after 6 hours of use. That's a lot closer to where I was before the update. I'll check back in a few days after I cycle the battery a few times.

I don't know how a software update can "fry" the battery but maybe it did.
    12-28-2011 08:27 PM
    Well I got my new free battery today. I charged it up and I'm at 87% after 6 hours of use. That's a lot closer to where I was before the update. I'll check back in a few days after I cycle the battery a few times.

I don't know how a software update can "fry" the battery but maybe it did.
    I am curious, could you match and verify if the old and new battery might be a different model/series? Just wondering as I JUST today received my GS2 and did the OTA update before I saw this thread lol... Since I was about to purchase a dock and spare battery was wondering if I should waste my time or not...
    12-28-2011 10:32 PM
    Yea, since someone received the new battery already, can you check if it's the same model/spec/etc. as the original one that the phone came with? AT&T says it will take up to 5 days for the battery to arrive and my guess is that it ships from Texas so I should receive it by.. 1/2 or 1/3..
    12-28-2011 10:58 PM
    Because some users have mentioned that AT&T was offering replacement batteries as a fix to this problem, I decided to try a live chat session. Basically, the customer service representative acknowledged that AT&T is aware of this issue, and said that they are pushing an OTA fix for the problem, but some "rare" phones such as mine are rejecting the OTA and apparently must be replaced. Read for yourself:

(I censored both my name and the representative's name for privacy purposes.
    AT&T Rep: Are you connected to wifi right now?

Mikegrann: I am

AT&T Rep: May I have you disconnect from it and make sure your connection to the AT&T data network is working, I am going to try and force a new update through to your phone.

Mikegrann: A newer update than the recent 2.3.6 OTA?

Mikegrann: I've disconnected from WIFI and am on "4G"

AT&T Rep: If it is available for that model of phone it will be just an update to fix the battery issue nothing else.

Mikegrann: So AT&T is aware of a battery issue on this device? I'm merely curious.

AT&T Rep: Yes it is a known issue, it does appear the update was already sent out to you phone but your phone rejected it.

AT&T Rep: Unfortunately that means we are going to have to replace your device since there is no other fix for this issue.

Mikegrann: Well, I actually have the KK6 update. I downloaded it from AT&T servers and updated it through official channels (no rooting, no ROMs).

Mikegrann: So was that software update released with a bug causing drastic battery drain?

AT&T Rep: Yes it was a software update problem that caused it, unfortunately the rare phones have been rejecting to update to fix the issue.

Mikegrann: Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know which service or app is the cause of the drain? I have noticed that my battery drain has only increased when connected to internet and disappears when I disable both WIFI and mobile data. Otherwise, it drains at its normal, acceptable rate.

AT&T Rep: Give me a moment and I will see what further information on it we have.

Mikegrann: Thank you, that would be great

AT&T Rep: I do not have access to the complete information for the issue, but it appear it revolves around AP Mobile Widgets that are currently using high data consumption and that would thus drain the battery much quicker.

Mikegrann: I was actually aware of this issue preceding the KK6 update from a few weeks ago. However, the update seems to have solved that issue, at least for my device, and I have seen no data usage from AP Mobile since the recent update. I guess I traded a data usage problem for a battery drain problem.
    I got nothing else useful from the representative, who from that point onward was interested only in replacing my phone through their warranty office. It's interesting that he tried to blame the drain on AP Mobile, even though that seems to be the one thing the update seemed to fix. At least he acknowledged the problem...
    pounder001 likes this.
    12-29-2011 12:39 AM
    Hit or miss with AT&T reps. The first lower level just questioned and sent me to warranty rep, then question more and decided to send me a battery for a test but I get to keep it. If the battery drain continues, they told me to contact them and ask for a device exchange. Exchanging device means you get a recondition/refurbished device.
    12-29-2011 01:05 AM
    Well its free and they let you have free expedited shipping.
    12-29-2011 04:55 AM
    I've been on the phone with both AT&T and now with Samsung, since 8am and both have tried to convince me there is nothing wrong with my phone.
    Samsung has just told me that they will send me a new charger and battery as they think both are defective and may be causing my phone to read incorrectly as fully charged or I can send them the phone for up to 6 days.
    12-29-2011 09:11 AM
    I have never rooted a phone before but it looks like I will have to learn how to do it since we cannot count on AT&T or Samsung to even recognize that their latest ROM messed up our phones. Talk about poor service and support!
    12-29-2011 09:26 AM
    The only difference in the new battery I got yesterday is the manufacture date. The original was 9-3-11 and the new one is 9-23-11.
    12-29-2011 09:31 AM
    Just got off att chat. Got switched to warranty chat...took awhile, but they are sending new battery. They said they've never heard of battery issues after the upgrade and are not aware of any other updates coming at this time.

For those reverting back to 2.3.4........has your battery life gone back to the way it was, or is it still as poor as at 2.3.6?

If still poor, this would confirm the "defective after upgrade". If not.. then.....hurry up with ICS.
    12-29-2011 01:30 PM
    I just got off the phone with AT & T. They are sending me a new battery. I am sure that wont be a fix but I will take a free battery.

I remember some people saying that the update bricked their phone until they pulled out the SD card.

My phone has been running at 600-700 MB of 800 MB RAM since the update. No matter what I kill it wont go down. This would explain the Android OS usage and the battery drain.

I pulled my SD card and reinstalled and now I am back to the 200 range that it always stayed in. Also when I clear memory only 6 applications close compared to the 20 plus that would close before I pulled the card.

So check your RAM... pull the SD card .. reinstall and see what it does. Worth a shot anyways.
    12-29-2011 02:32 PM
    To all having battery drain issues, why not revert to uckh7, root, cwm, your phone and then use a custom rom? I am running UnNamed v2.2.1 which is based off of uckk6 and I am pulling a lot better battery life compared to when I was running uckh7 *stock* rom. I plugged my phone around 2 hours ago and I had not had to charge it since I pulled if off the charger at 8:30 am yesterday even with talking on the phone for well over an hour and when I went to bed last night, still had 57% and woke up with 55% and started charging after it hit 23% battery life today!

HTH,
    Charlie
    12-29-2011 04:16 PM
    So AT&T shipped the battery via Streamlite (Mail Express) and my ETA is 01/06/2012... damn slow shipping
    12-29-2011 09:21 PM
    WIll there be another update soon?
    12-29-2011 09:47 PM
    With the new battery I went 14 hours today and was at 69% battery left. So either the new battery was the answer or they pushed that OTA fix that someone was talking about earlier.
    12-29-2011 10:07 PM
223 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD