Battery drain with new update

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So if we haven't updated to 2.3.6, should we stay on .4?
Is there anything important that .6 takes care of?

Outside of the battery drain, I see no difference in updating to .6

I saw no advantages at all, so stick with .4,. You're not missing anything.

At least with Verizon Droids, you usually get a changelog of the differences. AT&T is just crap. You get an update which breaks stuff, but shows no sign of anything improving.

As far as the AP Mobile widget bug. As long as you have it set to never refresh, and remove the widget from your home screen then you'll have no issues.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I was getting this massive battery drain since the update. However, after I drain the battery until it shut down....the battery got alot better after I fully recharged it. Not the same as before, but alot better.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Ohh and I got my new battery from AT&T yesterday. It's going dead just as fast. I am really suprized the battery wasnt the problem.:eek:

But I did get a free battery.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Nothing technical here, but there is little doubt in my mind that in 2.3.6 that WiFi is the culprit, all day today at work I had WiFi shut off and my battery life was fine and the Android OS battery % was 8%
Once I got home I turned my WiFi on and sure enough 2hrs later my Android OS battery % had shot up to 23% and my battery had dropped 13% to 15%

accel junky

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to add my story. I had the same problem with battery drain after the update. High usage on the Android OS. My battery usage chart even showed a straight dropoff about 2/3rd through the day when I picked up my phone to leave work and noticed I had gone from 80's to 34%. The line just took a right angle and dropped before stabilizing. I removed my battery and restarted and the battery level when down to 18% immediately lol.

Anyways, I went to the link suggested in this thread (went here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...t-recover-bricked-t-samsung-galaxy-s-2-a.html) and followed the steps. I backed up a few things off my phone manually but as it turned out when Odin finished I still had every one of my files, apps and settings all exactly where I left them only I'm back to 2.3.4 now. I thought I was going to be in this all night setting the phone back up.

Can't comment on battery life much yet but in the last 30min I believe I've used no more than 1% if even that.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I called AT&T tonight to say that the new battery didn't help. They had me do a factory reset and said if that didn't help that they would send me another phone.

That won't help either but I was wondering if anyone with a replacement from this week can confirm it had 2.3.4 on it? That would help.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Well.. I received the replacement battery today.. Haven't bother putting it in since it will probably be the same result.

The new battery:
Made in China/Finished in Korea
GB/T18287-2000, 3.7 V Li-ion, 6.11Wh
Manufacture date: 2011.11.30

dsc03607tm.jpg

dsc03609p.jpg

Last edited:

bxborn31

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I called AT&T tonight to say that the new battery didn't help. They had me do a factory reset and said if that didn't help that they would send me another phone.

That won't help either but I was wondering if anyone with a replacement from this week can confirm it had 2.3.4 on it? That would help.

how did guys get batteries sent to you? I went into att store n all they said was there aren't any battery problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
how did guys get batteries sent to you? I went into att store n all they said was there aren't any battery problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Calling AT&T or chatting with AT&T via Live Chat.

edit: tested out the new battery.. still battery drain issue.. LOL.. guess I'll wait for the next update or just ask for a new aka recondition/refurbished device?

Last edited:

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Calling AT&T or chatting with AT&T via Live Chat.

edit: tested out the new battery.. still battery drain issue.. LOL.. guess I'll wait for the next update or just ask for a new aka recondition/refurbished device?
your better off just flashing a rom like unNamed which is based off 2.3.4

BrockSamsonFW

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really see this mentioned in this thread, but it's almost certainly at the core of the issue.

Before the update, many people had internet connectivity issues with the phone. Normally the internet connection prefers wifi and when that is unavailable it would instead try 4G, then 3G, and finally 2G (or was it 3.5G then finally 3G?). The idea is obviously to go with the best and fastest connection method available. The problem was that there was a bug that would cause the connection to permanently lock up when it couldn't find the 4G signal, even if wifi or 3G were available at full strength. The connection would become locked until you reset the radios by restarting the phone or entering and then exiting airplane mode. It was bad enough that many people went into debug mode and disabled the 4G connection to significantly reduce the issue, so I'm surprised that nobody brought it up.

Anyways, this update was most likely meant to fix the issue, and it actually did fix it, but in the process they obviously have added a new bug. Before I used to have to reset my phone a few times a day in order to check FB/email. Now I get home with 20% battery left instead of 80%. At least the phone itself is awesome, so if they could just fix this issue....

surf1

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't really see this mentioned in this thread, but it's almost certainly at the core of the issue.

Before the update, many people had internet connectivity issues with the phone. Normally the internet connection prefers wifi and when that is unavailable it would instead try 4G, then 3G, and finally 2G (or was it 3.5G then finally 3G?). The idea is obviously to go with the best and fastest connection method available. The problem was that there was a bug that would cause the connection to permanently lock up when it couldn't find the 4G signal, even if wifi or 3G were available at full strength. The connection would become locked until you reset the radios by restarting the phone or entering and then exiting airplane mode. It was bad enough that many people went into debug mode and disabled the 4G connection to significantly reduce the issue, so I'm surprised that nobody brought it up.

Anyways, this update was most likely meant to fix the issue, and it actually did fix it, but in the process they obviously have added a new bug. Before I used to have to reset my phone a few times a day in order to check FB/email. Now I get home with 20% battery left instead of 80%. At least the phone itself is awesome, so if they could just fix this issue....
Weird, never had that connectivity issue.

Onanda

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
No, I think the core of the issue is there is something wrong with the update. Nothing was set differently on my phone, no usage differences, no noticeable differences in functionality - yet my battery died in less than 24 hours when it used to last 3 to 3 1/2 days.

I went into AT&T store to see what they would offer and he started in with the 'battery saving' ideas. Then suggested maybe this update 'fixed' something like 4G that wasn't working before and now life was more normal - REALLY?? You sold me a phone that wasn't working properly??

Anyway, I decided to un-root. I lost no data or settings, but had no wi-fi at all. Finally had to hard reset and set up everything again. Now all is working. It's been 24 hours and my battery remaining is 81%. Yeah!

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely related to the WI-FI and the new update. With the WI-FI turned off on both of our GS2's for the past week the battery life is great. I mentioned in a previous post that I put ATT on notice that they would cover any overages on our data plan until they fix the issue. Everyone without unlimited data should do the same.

Rytherix

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
I am suffering from the same issue since the update, battery drain is 8% an hour with airplanemode and wifi on ;-;. The saddest part is I got my wonderful amazing SII 5 days before the update and it was the most amazing phone I have ever owned... and now its crippled! I think I am gonna bother AT&T for a new battery and wait for the impending ICS update to fix the damn issue

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
^Getting an extra battery doesn't fix anything.

Unlimited data isn't even truly unlimited.. you get slowed down around 2gb with your "unlimited" data plan.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
I was getting this massive battery drain since the update. However, after I drain the battery until it shut down....the battery got alot better after I fully recharged it. Not the same as before, but alot better.
It's an intermittend problem - rebooting can make it go away temporarily, but it'll be back.

your better off just flashing a rom like unNamed which is based off 2.3.4
unNamed 2.x is UCKK6 based - it seems less prone to these issues for some reason, but it is not immune to them.

I've been running VillainROM 3.0, based off of the international XXKI3 base - MUCH better battery life in some situations than even UCKH7.

Never saw any issues like that on UCKH7.

It's definitely wifi.
1) Confirmed through multiple Shark for Root (which is Wireshark for Android...) captures - Sometimes Broadcom's BT-AMP feature of the wifi chipset goes totally insane and fires wakeup interrupts once a second. I've linked threads earlier that have examples of such Shark captures.
2) I'm also suspecting that something changed in UCKK6 to make the wifi chip respond to IPv6 multicast, when UCKH7 didn't. I'm not sure of this, I need to run some tests but haven't had time. This will cause battery drain on networks that have IPv6 multicast traffic (Windows Client Backup, UPnP SSDP, etc.)