05-08-2012 08:13 AM
223 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Is there a way to make the update notification go away? I'm getting tired of seeing it, and I'm not installing it until the bug is fixed.
    My phone stopped nagging me to install the update. I wonder if AT&T pulled it due to the complaints?
    01-10-2012 10:16 AM
    Possible Solution Found:
    Yesterday, on Android forums, there was a post by dapheel who had gotten a possible fix from Samsung support. It is this:
    Action Taken:
    1. Settings
    2. Wireless and Network
    3. Wifi Settings
    4. Click Menu Button (next to Home Button) and Select Advanced
    5. Select Wi-Fi sleep policy
    6. Change it from "Never" to either "Never when plugged in" or "When Screen turns off".

I tried it last night. I used the "When screen turns off" option. I also found that the settings change wouldn't take effect until after the phone was rebooted. For me, at least, the problem has been solved. I did also notice that it seemed to take a few minutes, or so, for the wifi to disengage even when the screen goes off. No big deal, however.
    Of course, depending on your usage that may help. But for me, that would only mean that syncing with Outlook, getting email notifications, etc while in my pocket would eat up my data plan instead of using the available wi-fi conx.

So, that wouldn't even have been a consideration much less a possible solution.

Back on 2.3.4 and now at 2 days 9 hours on this charge and battery is at 61%. This seems even better than before the fiasco.
    01-10-2012 11:00 AM
    Of course, depending on your usage that may help. But for me, that would only mean that syncing with Outlook, getting email notifications, etc while in my pocket would eat up my data plan instead of using the available wi-fi conx.

So, that wouldn't even have been a consideration much less a possible solution.

Back on 2.3.4 and now at 2 days 9 hours on this charge and battery is at 61%. This seems even better than before the fiasco.
    In a properly working system, routing all data over wifi by keeping the wifi chip always-on should use significantly less battery than using the radio for data.

The BCM4330's standby drain is very low - other than its tendency to start firing weird 1 Hz wakeup interrupts that kill the battery by keeping the phone's CPU awake in UCKK6, it is very good in terms of power consumption.
    ricktat likes this.
    01-10-2012 03:03 PM
    My phone stopped nagging me to install the update. I wonder if AT&T pulled it due to the complaints?
    My wife's identical GSII, running 2.3.4 as purchased, just got DM notice to update. I assume it is still the 2.3.6. I have her WiFi turned off and the update won't proceed without the WiFi until I find out which version. How does one know before update process what version is being pushed?
    01-10-2012 03:16 PM
    i have no idea but after my phone reset to go start the update process, it started back up saying the update was cancelled. so i think att maybe pulling the update
    01-10-2012 06:57 PM
    is there any update to this?
    I put unnamed on my phone a few days ago and the battery life seems to have improved. But I am seeing Android OS creep back into the batt usage, and it start to decrease.
    01-13-2012 03:18 PM
    I put unnamed on my phone a few days ago and the battery life seems to have improved. But I am seeing Android OS creep back into the batt usage, and it start to decrease.
    You didn't say which version you got installed. For me trying both the latest 2.2.1 and older 1.3.2, the old one worked better battery wise. I get about day and a half on one charge now, similar to my stock 2.3.4 usage stats. HTH.
    01-13-2012 05:12 PM
    After putting 2.3.4 back on my phone, I'm back to 4 days + on battery and I have NO power saving features turned on. I have it on sync with Exchange server for my work email. Now I am within range of WiFi 98% of the time, so that is probably a big factor.
    01-14-2012 03:01 PM
    i live chat with AT&T tonight and i was told my warranty is gone because i use a different charger other than samsung ...... what should i do .V.
    You can tell them that denying your warranty for that reason is a violation of U.S. federal law, the MagnusonMoss Warranty Act, unless they can specifically demonstrate that the use of a different charger damaged your phone.
    01-14-2012 07:03 PM
    i live chat with AT&T tonight and i was told my warranty is gone because i use a different charger other than samsung ...... what should i do .V.
    First - why would you tell them?
    Second - it shouldn't matter since the cable that comes with it isn't a dedicated charger, only a USB cable that you can plug into ANY USB port. When you connect to the computer to sync it charges the phone.

Sounds more like an excuse
    01-14-2012 10:34 PM
    After putting 2.3.4 back on my phone, I'm back to 4 days + on battery and I have NO power saving features turned on. I have it on sync with Exchange server for my work email. Now I am within range of WiFi 98% of the time, so that is probably a big factor.
    ok, thats honestly amazing and I feel like you are lying lol.
    So can you link me to what version of unnamed or mod you put on, because as you can see from the screenshot I am using the unnamed that brings me to 2.3.4 and I am getting no where near the battery performance you are.

The first screenshot I uploaded is my performance right after putting unnamed on my phone a few days ago.
    The next is my performance now, see how after only 13 hours I am down to 23%
    The last screenshot is my version and all that good stuff
    01-15-2012 12:39 PM
    ok, thats honestly amazing and I feel like you are lying lol.
    So can you link me to what version of unnamed or mod you put on, because as you can see from the screenshot I am using the unnamed that brings me to 2.3.4 and I am getting no where near the battery performance you are.

The first screenshot I uploaded is my performance right after putting unnamed on my phone a few days ago.
    The next is my performance now, see how after only 13 hours I am down to 23%
    The last screenshot is my version and all that good stuff
    Some app you installed appears to be holding massive wakelocks - note how often you have "awake" without "screen on" in the first graph.

In your second shot, there seems to be some heavy drain associated with wifi being on, which is NOT normal behavior in UCKH7. Is there any chance you updated kernels to the latest Daily Driver release? If so, that would be more confirmation that I've got a power management regression connected to wifi in the 1/2/2012 release. (A power management issue somewhere is why I haven't released anything since 1/2...)
    01-16-2012 02:25 PM
    Some app you installed appears to be holding massive wakelocks - note how often you have "awake" without "screen on" in the first graph.

In your second shot, there seems to be some heavy drain associated with wifi being on, which is NOT normal behavior in UCKH7. Is there any chance you updated kernels to the latest Daily Driver release? If so, that would be more confirmation that I've got a power management regression connected to wifi in the 1/2/2012 release. (A power management issue somewhere is why I haven't released anything since 1/2...)
    There is only one possible app I can think of that will drain power when I am on wifi, which is WinAmp because I have wireless sync on. I am gonna turn that off and if I see any difference I will let you guys know.
    01-16-2012 02:46 PM
    There is only one possible app I can think of that will drain power when I am on wifi, which is WinAmp because I have wireless sync on. I am gonna turn that off and if I see any difference I will let you guys know.
    Did you happen to change kernels between the first screenshot and the second?
    01-16-2012 04:11 PM

Entropy512,
    I've been reading your post and want to say THANKS for all you do!!!

Here's a screen shot to help you with your power management regression assessment. I'm on your Stock (Root) UCKH7 and your latest Daily Driver.

Thanks,
    tneil
    01-16-2012 04:13 PM
    After applying the change below, offered by Samsung support and posted by Tarnlight (from a post by dapheel), my battery run time on 2.3.6 now seems to be about what it was on 2.3.4.

1. Settings
    2. Wireless and Network
    3. Wifi Settings
    4. Click Menu Button (next to Home Button) and Select Advanced
    5. Select Wi-Fi sleep policy
    6. Change it from "Never" to either "Never when plugged in" or "When Screen turns off".

I chose "When Screen Turns Off".

Since this worked, I decided to allow 2.3.6 to be pushed to my wife's identical phone, after which I applied the same work around to her phone. After several days of testing, both phones now seem to have normal run time (2-3 days when used only occasionally). Even with moderate use, well over a 24 hour day's operation is attainable.

I still don't like the blue fog added in 2.3.6, especially in the browser, that occurs at the screen edge limits. There is really no need for this, in spite of Samsung having to dump the Apple challenged bounce effect. It occurs even on the mobile versions of web sites where there is no data behond the edges anyway.
    01-16-2012 04:51 PM
    Just an update from before. I have disabled any wifi using applications, turned the sleep policy to "screen is off" and fully charged the device.
    After 3 hours I am down to 86% which is a good 5% an hour with NO usage on airplane mode with just wifi on. The battery monitor shows that Android OS has taken up 80% of that battery usage, and the phone has been awake for very small intermittent periods.

This is with the same Unnamed running 2.3.4 as I posted earlier.
    I am so sad, some please help me
    Any suggestions?
    01-16-2012 09:19 PM
    I did not see much, if any, difference between 2.3.4 and 2.3.6.

My phone always dropped about 2.5% to 3.5% an hour when idle. After reading the explanations about wi-fi in the new release, it dawned on me that my phone was seeing my wifi network at least 12 hours a day most days. I charge every night.

I changed the settings to relfect those suggested by Samsung so that wifi was off when the screen was off. It lost 5% in the last four hours-screen was off the entire time. A bit more time will tell if this is the new norm, or not, but it would seem this is a big improvement.

My old 3GS was also on wifi most of the time and it used battery at a comparable rate-if not worse.

As suggested above, I would guess something else is going on with your phone other than what others have been seeing.
    01-17-2012 08:28 AM
    My GSII just updated to 2.3.6 last night unfortunately. Battery drain this morning was horrible. I've just done the change to WiFi settings for screen off to see if it helps. I'm on WiFi 90% of the time minimum so it's crazy that this update can't handle that when 2.3.4 was fine. I don't have the energy to argue with AT&T reps about this update
    01-17-2012 10:46 AM
    My GSII just updated to 2.3.6 last night unfortunately. Battery drain this morning was horrible. I've just done the change to WiFi settings for screen off to see if it helps. I'm on WiFi 90% of the time minimum so it's crazy that this update can't handle that when 2.3.4 was fine. I don't have the energy to argue with AT&T reps about this update
    I was in the same situation. But my phone syncs with Exchange email/Outlook constantly and turning WiFi to sleep make it use the cell signal, using more battery. I used the 'unroot' instructions to get back to 2.3.4 and I'm back to 3-4 days between charging. I only use it for calls, email and occasional GPS/traffic. I have no other apps installed.
    01-17-2012 12:31 PM
    Hard to tell if the "screen off" tweak works or not because it keeps reverting to Never. Very strange but I set it and then leave the phone for a bit .. Turn it on and it's off WiFi .. It reconnects to my WiFi and I go back into the setting and it's reverted back to Never ..

Guess I may look at the "unroot" to get to 2.3.4 ..
    01-17-2012 01:50 PM
    Hard to tell if the "screen off" tweak works or not because it keeps reverting to Never. Very strange but I set it and then leave the phone for a bit .. Turn it on and it's off WiFi .. It reconnects to my WiFi and I go back into the setting and it's reverted back to Never ..

I had the same problem as you after the OTA update to UCKK6 (2.3.6), so I used the step by step instructions found here to return my phone back to Stock UCKH7 (2.3.4), without incrementing the flash counter. NOTE: Use step 2c in the instructions
    Martavious likes this.
    01-17-2012 03:34 PM
    Step 2c worked for me also
    01-17-2012 07:07 PM

You must have a rogue app that's changing the settings on that. It's usually a streaming or wifi syncing app that requires constant on wifi connection. For me, it was Doubletwist's Airsync that kept reverting it to Never. After I disabled the app, it never switched on me again.
    01-17-2012 09:35 PM
    what should I see under battery usage for android os? I had the os using 82% before I put unnamed rom on. It is now fluctuates between 25 and 50% still higher than display.
    01-17-2012 10:54 PM
223 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD