05-08-2012 08:13 AM
223 ... 56789
tools
    You must have a rogue app that's changing the settings on that. It's usually a streaming or wifi syncing app that requires constant on wifi connection. For me, it was Doubletwist's Airsync that kept reverting it to Never. After I disabled the app, it never switched on me again.
    That was apparently it. Thanks.

I'll see how it works now because I just churned through 85% of my battery in under 12 hours of almost no use (most of that overnight sitting on my desk) and connected to my wifi network. Was getting a day and a half or so on 2.3.4.

Nothing like quality control ..
    01-18-2012 08:51 AM
    I use free Timeriffic to automatically turn Airplane mode on from midnight to 7am. I don't need wifi/cell at night, which also drains the battery. I don't charge it overnight so that extends my battery life quite a bit. HTH.
    izzymyster likes this.
    01-18-2012 09:09 AM
    I highly recommend you Flash the Siyah Kernel if you're looking for a battery life fix. It's wonderful.
    01-18-2012 09:35 AM
    what should I see under battery usage for android os? I had the os using 82% before I put unnamed rom on. It is now fluctuates between 25 and 50% still higher than display.
    The nature of our devices is that it will always be a bit high, 20-40% is normal. I'm looking into trying and optimizing suspend/resume to improve this, but for the time being that's the way it is.

Custom kernels like SiyahKernel and my experimental series will hide Android OS usage but will NOT alter the actual battery usage in any way. (This is the main reason why I still consider it "experimental".)

I highly recommend you Flash the Siyah Kernel if you're looking for a battery life fix. It's wonderful.
    SiyahKernel will not fix the UCKK6 BT-AMP regression that people are discussing here. It's a wifi chipset firmware or userspace configuration issue. Custom kernels will not fix it.
    01-18-2012 10:19 AM
    Unnamed 2.2.1 based off 2.3.6 did the trick for me. It still uses some settings from 2.3.4 so no battery drain. I previously went back to 2.3.4 and that worked fine as well just like before the official 2.3.6 update with battery drain. Back to day and a half battery life instead of the 10 hours the 2.3.6 update did to my phone.
    01-18-2012 12:16 PM
    I keep getting prompted that there is an update but haven't done it yet cause I'm worried it will drain my battery worse. I don't understand how some people are getting a day or two out of a charge. I'm not rooted. The only thing I have enabled is bluetooth. The only apps I'm using is Noled, BeWeather(it only refreshes when I unlock the phone), Battery widget(Probcomp), and Whatsapp. This is my first android. I have to charge the phone every night. I must be doing something wrong.
    01-18-2012 12:26 PM
    I keep getting prompted that there is an update but haven't done it yet cause I'm worried it will drain my battery worse. I don't understand how some people are getting a day or two out of a charge. I'm not rooted. The only thing I have enabled is bluetooth. The only apps I'm using is Noled, BeWeather(it only refreshes when I unlock the phone), Battery widget(Probcomp), and Whatsapp. This is my first android. I have to charge the phone every night. I must be doing something wrong.
    An active notification with noled is even worse than a BLN notification in terms of battery consumption (since it turns the screen on in addition to inhibiting deep sleep).

Idle drain of a properly functioning device in weak to moderate cell signal should be just over 1%/hour. Strong signal should be slightly less. On wifi without the UCKK6 drain bug and the right environment (this is hard - needs a clean network without broadcast traffic) can get as low as 0.5%/hour.

If something is holding a wake lock and inhibiting deep sleep, drain will be 4.5-5%/hour even with the screen off. An active BLN notification will do this.

NoLED will be even worse than BLN - an active notification will probably drain 5-6%/hour at least. It may also hurt battery life when no notification is active.
    01-18-2012 01:31 PM
    Switched to Unnamed 1.3.2 purely based off 2.3.4

Unnamed 2.2.1 is definitely better than stock 2.3.6 battery drain but it's still not as good as the pure 2.3.4 experience.

Back to having to actually use my phone to get the battery to drain!
    01-20-2012 09:58 AM
    I just got done speaking to customer service at ATT again regarding this issue. The last time was 2 1/2 weeks ago when they urged me to wait on Samsung for a fix to this issue. They assured me that Samsung was aware of the issue. Well, I got tired of waiting and they are sending me a replacement phone. Hopefully I get lucky enough to get one that hasn't been updated to 2.3.6 yet. I figure if we can cost Samsung and ATT a few bucks to send a replacement they might get their software developer types to fix the bad code in the update a little faster.
    01-20-2012 11:00 AM
    I was hoping I wasn't the only person with this problem. Before the update, when I go to bed at night my phone would be roughly at 30%-40%. Now I can't make it past 7pm without charging my phone. It's getting a little ridiculous. I've had my phone off my charger for only 2.5 hours now and I'm already down to 75%. Granted, I did play about 30min of Jelly Defense and browse the web for about an hour, but it's never gone down this fast. I hope it gets fixed with ICS.
    01-20-2012 11:32 AM
    Installed 2.3.6 and battery drain was ridiculous. S2 would be almost dead after 8 hours. I then rooted, installed unnamed 2.2.1, siyah kernel, use setcpu, TB scripts, and undervolt. As i write this I am at 48% battery left after 36 hours of light to moderate use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    01-21-2012 08:35 PM
    I just got done speaking to customer service at ATT again regarding this issue. The last time was 2 1/2 weeks ago when they urged me to wait on Samsung for a fix to this issue. They assured me that Samsung was aware of the issue. Well, I got tired of waiting and they are sending me a replacement phone. Hopefully I get lucky enough to get one that hasn't been updated to 2.3.6 yet. I figure if we can cost Samsung and ATT a few bucks to send a replacement they might get their software developer types to fix the bad code in the update a little faster.
    Hope the replacement works better!

After getting tired of the run around from AT&T Tech Support and spending time talking with Samsung Tech Support, Samsung asked me if I would be willing to send my phone back to them for further analysis of the WiFi battery drain issue with 2.3.6
    I don't think we should have to root our phones for them to work correctly nor should we suffer poor battery life with what looks to be clearly related to some sort of battery draining bug when on WiFi with the 2.3.6 update.
    And to those who say keep the WiFi turned off, I don't have an unlimited data plan so WiFi is very important to me as is battery life
    01-22-2012 08:38 AM
    So let me get this right, the drain is only with wifi turned on correct? So what is the battery life like with it turned off? I'm using mine only on wifi as my sim is in my iPhone4, I'm also run running unnamed rom. Will I see that big of a difference without wifi on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    coxey52 likes this.
    01-22-2012 03:13 PM
    Hope the replacement works better!

After getting tired of the run around from AT&T Tech Support and spending time talking with Samsung Tech Support, Samsung asked me if I would be willing to send my phone back to them for further analysis of the WiFi battery drain issue with 2.3.6
    I don't think we should have to root our phones for them to work correctly nor should we suffer poor battery life with what looks to be clearly related to some sort of battery draining bug when on WiFi with the 2.3.6 update.
    And to those who say keep the WiFi turned off, I don't have an unlimited data plan so WiFi is very important to me as is battery life
    I'm glad that FINALLY they are at least accepted the fact there is a problem. All I've heard is denials. The ATT store refused to help me as my battery life was still 'within the norm' ! Thank you!

I don't know if it's WiFi or not and don't care since none of my settings changed and my battery life went down the cra@@er with this update. There is no reason this should have happened.
    01-22-2012 06:47 PM
    Update
    Samsung sent me an email and said that they did find an issue and had installed new software and afterwards my phone passed all tests.
    Since I wasn't clear on what this meant I called Samsung Tech Support and they said they found that when using WiFi there was a PRL bug (from 2.3.6) that caused the phone to keep looking for new PRL's even though I was using WiFi. This caused battery life to be impacted (my interpretation of what the Technician said)
    Supposedly I have new updated software without the PRL bug when using WiFi?
    My phone should be back on Wednesday and I will post as much information as I can

NOTE: I am not a Technician so please understand that the information posted above is based on my notes that I took when I was on a call w/Samsung today.
    Demodave likes this.
    01-23-2012 02:23 PM
    I have the same issue as everyone else in this thread. I loved this phone but now it wants me to plug it in after ~14 hours....I'm not a heavy user and I used to get about 36 hours.

I have adjusted the wifi to only activate when the screen is on but that has not helped as much as I thought it would.

This needs to be addressed and fixed....it's silly that something like this should detract so much from an otherwise top-of-the-line phone.
    01-23-2012 07:33 PM
    PRL bug? WTF?

This is a GSM phone - there is no PRL. PRL is a CDMA thing.

Edit: When you get your device back, I'd be interested in getting a firmware dump of your device to see what changed.
    01-24-2012 11:49 AM
    I got the "new" warranty GS2 today and it had the good old 2.3.4 version on it. After 10 hours with the WI-FI on I'm back to very good battery life. Android OS and Android System have used 6% and 7% so far.
    I would urge everyone who does not want to root their phones to request a warranty exchange.
    01-24-2012 10:01 PM
    this battery drain is terrible. this software update = fail. my phone can go about 6hrs or so before i have to charge it back up. before i used to go about 1 1/2 days. i don't understand how the battery drains so quickly now from this update.
    01-27-2012 11:30 AM
    I sure hope they fix this soon. I am getting tired of having to plug in my phone all the time. I feel like I am one step away from having to drag an extension cord around the house with me to keep it charged. You would think that they would have tested it before sending it out.

I am thinking about rooting it now. I was not going to before.
    01-27-2012 06:10 PM
    I also went back to 2.3.4, besides the battery issues, the blue borders are horrible...
    01-27-2012 07:16 PM
    I also went back to 2.3.4, besides the battery issues, the blue borders are horrible...
    How do you go back to 2.3.4? Do I have to exchange my phone out?
    01-30-2012 11:55 AM
    Exchanging the phone is one way to do it. It will come with 2.3.4. But the ATT system will keep bugging you to update as others have mentioned.

Rooting to a stock 2.3.4 is the only way to be sure your battery will not drain.

You can use 2C here [GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!! - xda-developers

You can then use apps like Titanium back up to freeze unwanted bloatware apps too.

The only good things that 2.3.6 did was fix the lock screen issue and fix the AP mobile bug. everything else seemed to suck.

Rooted 2.3.4 will allow you to freeze AP mobile with if you buy Titanium Backup.
    01-30-2012 01:54 PM
    So I've been lurking on this thread for a while, comparing my problems to everyone else's and I've had about the same experience... Battery started to drain extremely quickly after the update to 2.3.6, AT&T told me to talk to Samsung, etc. (but I hadn't had a chance to make the call yet...)

But suddenly, the problem has stopped. Has anyone else had this happen? Before the update I was getting 2 days out of the phone (I'd say 36-40 hours per charge approximately) and since the update I haven't even been making it through one (and by one day I mean morning to bed time at night... It has been dying in the evening typically) even though I have been using the phone LESS to make the battery last.

Today I started to notice a total change in the battery's behavior. Right now, after about 9 hours of use I am at approximately 70%... I've treated the phone pretty normally, checked email, sent texts, talked for maybe an hour or hour and a half, and played some words with friends... yet today it is lasting. My settings are 100% the same.

It is a fantastic change, but totally bizarre. Any ideas? I'll keep an eye on it over the next few battery cycles, hopefully this sticks!
    02-01-2012 09:53 PM
    A reboot can fix it for a day or a week. It seems to always come back on 2.3.6

It can come and it can go
    02-02-2012 08:01 AM
223 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD