Battery drain with new update

keyur113

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been facing the same issue. My battery drains in 4 hours on standby mode. I spoke with ATT for 2 hours yesterday and they said a factory reset should resolve the problem.

Today morning I woke up to see my phone dead. After checking the battery usage, I notice that Android OS utilized 92% of my battery.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

PS: Merry Christmas

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I just did the factory reset again to see if it would help. The auto backup feature actually worked well this time so all I had to do was enter passwords. I let everyone know if it works.

reelgator59

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Android rooting dummy here. What do I have to do BEFORE I jump in a root to "unNamed 2.1.1"? Since the update my battery life is so bad I have to carry a spare battery. I lose 25% in a few hours, nothing running, ram cleared and on standby. Guess its time i jumped into the rooting game. Thanks for answering a probably stupid question "here". Merry Christmas

mcl5000

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Its too bad this happened. Battery life was fine for me before, but I'm lucky if its not dead when I get home from work after the update. Completely unacceptable. Wouldn't have bought if the battery was like this.

One pretty important criteria of a phone for me is that a battery lasts more than 12 hours on standby.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
After I installed the update the battery started draining at twice the rate as before the update. I read on this forum that a reset would help. I did the reset but the battery is still draining rapidly. It does not seem right that an official update would have this effect on my phone when I am stuck in a 2 year contract. I had great battery life before the update.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I gave it a couple of days after performing a factory reset and I'm still having the same issue. After 12 hours yesterday I was at 21% battery. This included 12 minutes of phone calls, very light internet usage and my usual checking of emails. Before the update I would have had 55-66% of my battery left. Let's hope Samsung puts out a bug fix for this.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset and that didn't solve my problem :/..

1 hour and 30 min idle.. took 8% battery life, so roughly 5% per hour.. I've been having battery issue since 2.3.4 and I have no clue what's causing it. I'm really annoyed with my battery drain... Don't know what I can do about it.. I have to bring my car charger where ever I decide to go.. leave it plug in whenever I can

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Everyone who is having a battery issue since the 2.3.6 update needs to go to the Samsung website and either call support or use the live chat feature so that Samsung is aware of the issue.
When I called a few days ago they claimed they had no record of any type of "battery issue with the 2.3.6 update"

credizian

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So I spoke to AT&T about it today and they have confirmed that after the 2.3.6 update, the battery for the SGSII is considered defective. Therefore, they are shipping folks new batteries. Oh and you get to keep the old one since they consider it defective.

Call them ASAP.

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So I spoke to AT&T about it today and they have confirmed that after the 2.3.6 update, the battery for the SGSII is considered defective. Therefore, they are shipping folks new batteries. Oh and you get to keep the old one since they consider it defective.

Call them ASAP.

Really? I have to call to get the free battery? I was already considering buying a new battery on eBay to see if it was the battery problem.

omegaglory23

May 10, 2010
Visit site

Call them ASAP.

I will be calling them when I get home from work tonight.

excise

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Call them ASAP.

I just live chatted both Samsung and AT&T support. Samsung told me it might be a hardware issue and I should send my phone to them to be examined by a technician and AT&T told me to contact Samsung because the software is theirs. I'll try calling AT&T support when I get home from work.

jfreeman3

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
The upgrade installed on my rooted SGS2 without a problem. I have had no phone issues and, having recently moved from blackberry to android, my experience on BB has been that anytime I changed or upgraded the OS, the battery had to settle in. I have had no battery problems after the upgrade but I would recommend letting the battery run down and recycle a time or two before assuming the sky is falling.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Not sure how a new battery would fix the issue, but I could be wrong?
I had 2 new batteries 1 OEM Samsung and 1 Hyperion and the battery drain still occurrs when I charged and installed them both.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I got my new free battery today. I charged it up and I'm at 87% after 6 hours of use. That's a lot closer to where I was before the update. I'll check back in a few days after I cycle the battery a few times.

I don't know how a software update can "fry" the battery but maybe it did.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I got my new free battery today. I charged it up and I'm at 87% after 6 hours of use. That's a lot closer to where I was before the update. I'll check back in a few days after I cycle the battery a few times.

I don't know how a software update can "fry" the battery but maybe it did.

I am curious, could you match and verify if the old and new battery might be a different model/series? Just wondering as I JUST today received my GS2 and did the OTA update before I saw this thread lol... Since I was about to purchase a dock and spare battery was wondering if I should waste my time or not...

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yea, since someone received the new battery already, can you check if it's the same model/spec/etc. as the original one that the phone came with? AT&T says it will take up to 5 days for the battery to arrive and my guess is that it ships from Texas so I should receive it by.. 1/2 or 1/3..

Mikegrann

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Because some users have mentioned that AT&T was offering replacement batteries as a fix to this problem, I decided to try a live chat session. Basically, the customer service representative acknowledged that AT&T is aware of this issue, and said that they are pushing an OTA fix for the problem, but some "rare" phones such as mine are rejecting the OTA and apparently must be replaced. Read for yourself:

(I censored both my name and the representative's name for privacy purposes.
AT&T Rep: Are you connected to wifi right now?

Mikegrann: I am

AT&T Rep: May I have you disconnect from it and make sure your connection to the AT&T data network is working, I am going to try and force a new update through to your phone.

Mikegrann: A newer update than the recent 2.3.6 OTA?

Mikegrann: I've disconnected from WIFI and am on "4G"

AT&T Rep: If it is available for that model of phone it will be just an update to fix the battery issue nothing else.

Mikegrann: So AT&T is aware of a battery issue on this device? I'm merely curious.

AT&T Rep: Yes it is a known issue, it does appear the update was already sent out to you phone but your phone rejected it.

AT&T Rep: Unfortunately that means we are going to have to replace your device since there is no other fix for this issue.

Mikegrann: Well, I actually have the KK6 update. I downloaded it from AT&T servers and updated it through official channels (no rooting, no ROMs).

Mikegrann: So was that software update released with a bug causing drastic battery drain?

AT&T Rep: Yes it was a software update problem that caused it, unfortunately the rare phones have been rejecting to update to fix the issue.

Mikegrann: Interesting. Out of curiosity, do you happen to know which service or app is the cause of the drain? I have noticed that my battery drain has only increased when connected to internet and disappears when I disable both WIFI and mobile data. Otherwise, it drains at its normal, acceptable rate.

AT&T Rep: Give me a moment and I will see what further information on it we have.

Mikegrann: Thank you, that would be great

AT&T Rep: I do not have access to the complete information for the issue, but it appear it revolves around AP Mobile Widgets that are currently using high data consumption and that would thus drain the battery much quicker.

Mikegrann: I was actually aware of this issue preceding the KK6 update from a few weeks ago. However, the update seems to have solved that issue, at least for my device, and I have seen no data usage from AP Mobile since the recent update. I guess I traded a data usage problem for a battery drain problem.

I got nothing else useful from the representative, who from that point onward was interested only in replacing my phone through their warranty office. It's interesting that he tried to blame the drain on AP Mobile, even though that seems to be the one thing the update seemed to fix. At least he acknowledged the problem...

Reactions: pounder001

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hit or miss with AT&T reps. The first lower level just questioned and sent me to warranty rep, then question more and decided to send me a battery for a test but I get to keep it. If the battery drain continues, they told me to contact them and ask for a device exchange. Exchanging device means you get a recondition/refurbished device.