Battery drain with new update

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you and I'm happy for all of it. All I was trying to say is, many of the people here are first-time Android uses (or even first-time smartphone users) who have no interest in learning proper technical jargon; they just want to get basic information. In my own ideal world, everybody would be as familiar with their technology as Entropy is, but since that is unfortunately not the reality, it should be expected that the vernacular will be less technical and somewhat imprecise.

But again, back on track... please continue to tell Samsung about the battery drain issue using the bug report form: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...mkey=dGpvcjVmcTd4Y2ZuZFgtcV9WM3lvZ2c6MQ#gid=0
Thanks Wookiee, used the Samsung bug report form, hopefully if everyone who is having this issue does this we might see a fix.

Onanda

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I am new to Android and smartphones. I was issued this phone by work and don't talk on it much, but constantly read and reply to email. Since I got it the battery has lasted 3-4 days (and seemingly getting better even).

I got the AT&T software update to OS 2.3.6 message (if it even mentioned the build I don't remember). My battery was dead before 18-20 hours after each charge. I contacted AT&T and after removing the battery and them 're-registering' my phone it went to 24-30 hours now. (wow 50% improvement! but nowhere near what I was getting)

AT&T rep could not find any issues relating to this (huh?) and did offer to send me a new battery. I then did searches and found this thread, hoping for a resolution. Per a recent post I also complained via the Samsung form.

Although I very uncomfortable trying, I can't stand charging every day and am considering the advice to UnNamed if I don't get a fix soon.

Onanda

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I just got from Samsung support -

Thank you for your correspondence. We understand that you are having trouble with the battery life of your handset afteryou received the Over-the-Air update.

We do apologize if you were not able to find your product on the drop down list. Our system is updating as of this writing due to new products and services that we have released. Rest assured that once update has been completed, information intended for your product will be readily available for assistance and support.

Regarding this, there are no configurable options to downgrade the software of the handset once it the update has been installed.

In regard with the battery life, we recommend fully drain the battery charge of your SGH-I777 handset until it could not provide any power for the device to turnit on, and then fully charge the battery again.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System at Samsung.

It's like having your very own personal Samsung Technician at your fingertips.

We appreciate your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,
Aaron
Technical Support

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I am new to Android and smartphones. I was issued this phone by work and don't talk on it much, but constantly read and reply to email. Since I got it the battery has lasted 3-4 days (and seemingly getting better even).

I got the AT&T software update to OS 2.3.6 message (if it even mentioned the build I don't remember). My battery was dead before 18-20 hours after each charge. I contacted AT&T and after removing the battery and them 're-registering' my phone it went to 24-30 hours now. (wow 50% improvement! but nowhere near what I was getting)

Placebo effect. It will get worse again. Pulling the battery is only a temp fix and doesn't fix anything.

I reflashed 2.3.4 back on an my battery life is great again.

Actually 2.3.4 always ran just fine and I saw no positive effects or changes at all with 2.3.6 outside of the battery issue. So I'm sticking with 2.3.4 for now. I see no reason at all to be using 2.3.6.

Samsung should have released a changelog with 2.3.6. I never understand why AT&T Android phones never release changelogs with their updates. It seems when Verizon Androids have updates, you always see the changelogs plastered everywhere.

For whatever faults Verizon might have, they are still a much better run company than AT&T. That's why I'm still thinking about getting a Droid Razr with Verizon. For some reason that phone keeps drawing me in.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
How do I revert back to the older software version? My phone is not rooted. My phone is fine if I keep the WI-FI turned off but if I turn it on the battery is toast.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
In regard with the battery life, we recommend fully drain the battery charge of your SGH-I777 handset until it could not provide any power for the device to turnit on, and then fully charge the battery again.
My GOD, I can't believe this - they don't even know how their own phone works! (This is horrible advice - it's useful on devices with a certain type of fuel gauge chip, no Samsung device I know of is in that category.)

My battery pull ended up lasting for a week.

So I pulled it again. Lets see if I get another week out of it.
Shouldn't need to battery pull - just a plain old reboot.

How do I revert back to the older software version? My phone is not rooted. My phone is fine if I keep the WI-FI turned off but if I turn it on the battery is toast.
It's a bit difficult - you need to flash the old firmware using Odin or Heimdall.

[Heimdall][Odin][Stock][Root]UCKH7/KK6 Return/Unbrick to Stock (or Root) - xda-developers - In addition to this, creepyncrawly has a great return-to-stock guide if you hop over to the I777 General forums from that link. However I think his Odin One-Click package may be broken and not flashing everything, so don't use that particular package.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

There is a sticky thread in this forum on how to do it. It lists how to Unroot your phone, but all it basically does it flash the stock 2.3.4 back on your phone.

Just go to http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-ii/132067-how-unroot-recover-bricked-t-samsung-galaxy-s-2-a.html and follow the instructions. It's pretty easy.

That's what I did to go back to 2.3.4.

wreckit72

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I used Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package with Modem using Odin3 One-Click Downloader (Windows) method to return to stock and get rid of the battery issue. I cannot connect to my home wi-fi now. Does anyone now how to fix this problem?

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I just emailed the office of the CEO for ATT with this whole battery/software update issue. I went this route on a different issue with them about six months ago and they were able to fix the issue immediately after about a dozen tries with various supervisors and departments. They actually called the local corporate ATT store near my house and had them set aside our two free Galaxy S2's for us last year. This was due to a huge screw up on their part relating to a Uverse installation bill for 600.00 that was supposed to be free. They were very accommodating then so I'll be curious to see what they do now. I requested that they cover any data overages on my account until the WI-FI bug that is causing our batteries to drain is fixed. I'll report back with their answer.

Onanda

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There is a sticky thread in this forum on how to do it. It lists how to Unroot your phone, but all it basically does it flash the stock 2.3.4 back on your phone.

Just go to http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-galaxy-s-ii/132067-how-unroot-recover-bricked-t-samsung-galaxy-s-2-a.html and follow the instructions. It's pretty easy.

That's what I did to go back to 2.3.4.
Rooting and jailbreaking voids my AT&T warranty. Does anyone know if 'unrooting' back to 2.3.4 be detectable and mess up my warranty?

I went into an AT&T store today and they wouldn't do anything because my battery usage is still within the 'norm' for a smartphone, even tho it's 1/2 of what it was.... gee thanks AT&T.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I used Entropy512's Return/Unbrick to Stock, Kernel + Rooted System Package with Modem using Odin3 One-Click Downloader (Windows) method to return to stock and get rid of the battery issue. I cannot connect to my home wi-fi now. Does anyone now how to fix this problem?

You will need to re-enter the password for your wi-fi system - you lost it during the flash. After going to settings/wi-fi/turn on wi-fi, you will need to long-press on the name of your network at the bottom of the screen, and a dialogue will pop up asking for the password.

Entropy512 said:
creepyncrawly has a great return-to-stock guide if you hop over to the I777 General forums from that link. However I think his Odin One-Click package may be broken and not flashing everything, so don't use that particular package.

I used his one-click a couple of times in the past few weeks, and it worked fine.

Last edited:

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Rooting and jailbreaking voids my AT&T warranty. Does anyone know if 'unrooting' back to 2.3.4 be detectable and mess up my warranty?

I went into an AT&T store today and they wouldn't do anything because my battery usage is still within the 'norm' for a smartphone, even tho it's 1/2 of what it was.... gee thanks AT&T.

By reflashing back to 2.3.4 you are not Rooting or anything, Being that it is an official firmware, I don't believe that it will show on the flash counter.

I don't have the yellow triangle when I boot after reverting back to 2.3.4, so you should be fine.

The flash in that link is the official 2.3.4, it's not a custom ROM.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Although I very uncomfortable trying, I can't stand charging every day and am considering the advice to UnNamed if I don't get a fix soon.

Honestly, I think most folks on this forum would be very happy with 24-30 hours on a single charge. Why not just plug the phone in when you go to bed, and be done with it?

wreckit72

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You will need to re-enter the password for your wi-fi system - you lost it during the flash. After going to settings/wi-fi/turn on wi-fi, you will need to long-press on the name of your network at the bottom of the screen, and a dialogue will pop up asking for the password.

I used his one-click a couple of times in the past few weeks, and it worked fine.

It would search for network but never find any network before closing. After installing Entropy512's latest daily kernel it still wouldn't find any wi-fi networks. I did a factory reset and now it is working. Thanks for trying to help.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
It would search for network but never find any network before closing. After installing Entropy512's latest daily kernel it still wouldn't find any wi-fi networks. I did a factory reset and now it is working. Thanks for trying to help.

I always do a factory reset after doing system updates. It is a lot of work reconfiguring the phone and reinstalling my apps. But I like to do it just to be fresh and have piece of mind knowing everything is totally reset.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Either you need to do a wipe/factory reset, or the kernel didn't properly flash.

The return-to-stock package I linked earlier has an official Samsung kernel (won't trip the flash counter) and contains an unmodified system dump from a stock device - it's indistinguishable from a stock 2.3.4 phone that has been turned on.

By reflashing back to 2.3.4 you are not Rooting or anything, Being that it is an official firmware, I don't believe that it will show on the flash counter.

I don't have the yellow triangle when I boot after reverting back to 2.3.4, so you should be fine.

The flash in that link is the official 2.3.4, it's not a custom ROM.
Correct. All of my "return-to-stock" packages use a stock kernel that doesn't trigger the flash counter.

The ones that root your phone do so by rooting the system image - which unlike the kernel isn't checked for customizations. ;)

Reactions: wreckit72

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
All of my "return-to-stock" packages use a stock kernel that doesn't trigger the flash counter. The ones that root your phone do so by rooting the system image - which unlike the kernel isn't checked for customizations. ;)

Great to have you over here at AC, Entropy, w/some definitive answers. Very helpful.

birvini

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I received my response from ATT's Executive Support Team earlier today. The lady was very nice and seemed to understand the issue. She said that Samsung is definitely aware of the issue and is working on a fix. She even said she researched the issue herself and found the responses on these forums useful.

She said if we go over on our data plans due to not being able to use WI-FI without killing the battery they will adjust our bills accordingly.