Battery drain with new update

dmb219

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess I didn't realize how bad the battery life got with this update. I read through this thread last night then this morning I turned off my wifi. I checked my phone about half way through the day when it is usually about half gone and still had nearly a full battery. The difference was pretty dramatic, not just a little bit.

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm really pissed at samsung at this point.

1. What did they fix.
2. How did they not know they were breaking the battery life of our phones.
3. Why haven't they fixed it yet.

This is just BS. I'm pretty close to just getting rid of Stock OS at this point and seeing if I can jump ship to ICS. I'm waiting for the GS2 ICS release in Europe but... I had to root my first one just to get a timely update. These companies can bite me. I'm so tired of America in general. Companies buying politicians to try and pass legislation to block the DMCA rights we're granted on hacking our phones. Heck if Sopa, Pipa, or even Acta get passed this forum could be taken down merely by providing tools or information on tools used to hack phones. If you think Sopa and Pipa are dead, then boy are you in for a shock come next year. Maybe even 5 years from now. Obama said he wouldn't sign Sopa or Pipa, never said anything about Acta. He might just sign that tomorrow. Who knows really. Acta's a treaty and congress essentially has little to no say in the matter.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Unlocked? Isn't that like $600 or more? I like the GS2, don't like the battery drain but not $600 worth.
Sold my GS2 that I paid $0.01 for for over $400 bought a new unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus for $625, win win in my book as 2.3.6 does not even come close to comparing to ICS 4.0, but what I did is not for everybody I understand that.

Good luck with your GS2, its a great phone if they could fix the battery drain issue on wifi.

xyz09

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
After reading this thread, I'm wondering why it hits some phones and not others. I bought my GS II 7 weeks ago and was on 2.3.6 within a couple of days of purchase. I have not had the battery problems described in this thread. The reason I was wondering is because I'm considering a GS II for my wife, but now I'm not sure because I obviously wouldn't want her to deal with this.

Decisions, decisions.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
There was no change in mine for about three weeks, then it started draining the battery much faster. A few days ago, I switched on gps which I normally have off, then forgot to turn it back off.

Then, I noticed the battery was not being used up as quickly. That was about three days ago. Still being relatively low consumption, but, I don't see how that could have anything to do with it. Go figure:)

xyz09

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
There was no change in mine for about three weeks, then it started draining the battery much faster. A few days ago, I switched on gps which I normally have off, then forgot to turn it back off.

Then, I noticed the battery was not being used up as quickly. That was about three days ago. Still being relatively low consumption, but, I don't see how that could have anything to do with it. Go figure:)
Interesting change with the GPS switch. My GPS has been on constantly along with wi-fi and bluetooth. The last overnight check I did without charging was a drop from 60 to 52 percent in 7 hours. The battery lasts all day with moderate use.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I seem to be losing a bit more than 1% per hour when not in use. I have no idea what is going on with the erratic battery, but, I am waiting to see if the improved rate of decline is short lived, or continues

dmb219

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I checked my battery after 2 hours this morning with wifi on & lost 15%. I charged it then did the same with wifi off. It was down only 3%. Both times it was sitting idle, not being used. That's a huge difference. GPS was on.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set to turn wifi off when screen is off, but, it was still going down fast in that mode....until I flipped gps on and left it...I am not claiming that that has anything to do with the change or not...just an observance since :)

starsky94502

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
i did a factory reset on my phone yesterday, and today ive had great battery life. id say its close to when i first got phone. it was a bit of a pain to back everything up, but at least it is working better

mcl5000

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I understand that an update can have adverse effects on phones, and I have no problem with that. The thing that is really starting to bother me is the fact that this has been going on for two or three months now, and neither AT&T or Samsung has made an attempt to fix it.

Is this starting to piss anybody else off? I turn off my wifi when I'm not using it, but sometimes I forget when I get to work...and I'm at 50% by lunch.

I'm not generally one that reacts to things like this, but I think this is getting a little ridiculous. The GS2 is a very popular phone for AT&T, so it's not like they're just ignoring it thinking we'll all upgrade, since we all got this phone less than a year ago.

Does anybody have any idea if any fixes are in the works other than rooting?

scottwood2

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I too am getting tired of having to plug in my phone all the time. I decided to go with the GS2 and not the Skyrocket because I felt that I would get better battery life with a non-LTE phone. It was true until I received the upgrade or should I say downgrade.

I understand that it takes some time to get a fix but I would have thought we would have had something by now? Sometimes I get apps that upgrade a few times a week. Why does it take many months to get this corrected?

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
AT&T needs plenty of time to make sure that the update which fixes these problems also has its own new severe flaws, Apple won't allow the update to go forward any other way. Can't have actual competition, can we? The horrible quality of AT&T firmwares for Android phones is clear evidence that AT&T is bowing to Apple's every desire.

None of the problems with UCKH7 (Data-eating AP Mobile widget, lockscreen issues) were present in any I9100 firmware I know of.

All of the problems with UCKK6 do exist in various I9100 firmwares, but never simultaneously in one build. UCKK6 is the ONLY Samsung firmware where Bluetooth HID was broken even when using the stock kernel. (Samsung made a change that required kernel updates, and did fix I9100 stock kernels, however they never released source code for the I9100 changes.)

Samsung clearly has fixes - just look at XWKL1 for the I9100 as an example. It has, as far as I can tell, none of the problems UCKK6 had, and was built not long afterwards. I've only seen the BT-AMP bug crop up once on XWKL1, and that was when I was conducting a very aggressive experiment in the kernel, since reverting that experiment out it's been rock solid stable.

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm having a difficult time gathering from the thread, but are these battery issues only associated with wifi being on? I only ask because I'm debating upgrading to the GS2 but don't really want to deal with these issues. (I hardly ever use wifi, and if I do, it's at home, so if it is caused by that it shouldn't be a problem for me). Thanks.

Maynard

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Did AT&T pull this (2.36) update? I',m at 2.34 and have never received any type of notification (thankfully) that an update is available.

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
How do I unlock the bootloader? I've been searching around the forums. My phone is already rooted since I had to get rid of Tethering Manager 2. I'm not going to pay them money to allow me to burn through my data plan quickly. I pay for 2 GB if I want to let a co-worker put his iPod Touch on the web through my phone, or connect a device to wifi that I can't use WPA2 on, then they can bite me. Not paying 40 dollars a month for a feature I use 5 times a year. >_> If I use more than 2 GB they'll get THAT money and nothing more data related.

So... ya sorry for the rant. How do I unlock the boot loader. Searching isnt' helping me much.