Bye bye stock 2.3.6, hello Unnamed Rom

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
So I rooted my phone this morning and flashed Unnamed Rom and what a difference. This rom is based off 2.3.4 and is very stable. It removed all the bloatware and added the Ice Cream Sandwich animations. I was a little nervous rooting but I am so glad I did it. Anyone who is experiencing battery problems with the new update (2.3.6) I highly recommend you flash to this rom. Its based off of the stock rom which I really like.

[ROM][2.3.6] UnNamed v2.2.1 - (12/22/2011) - Improved battery life and performance - xda-developers

Reactions: werds

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you have to re-install all apps and set everything up on your phone all over again?

Yes, once I flashed the rom, I did a factory reset just to make sure everything is fresh. Yea its a pain but I guess that has to be done whenever flashing roms. TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

sdmark

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend unnamed as well. I tried MIUI for a bit to see what all the hype was about, but it's too iphone like for my taste.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend unnamed as well. I tried MIUI for a bit to see what all the hype was about, but it's too iphone like for my taste.

Its what the stock 2.3.4 should have been. I like that you can customize the lights for the touch buttons. Drove me nuts they would always turn off. The modem seems just as good as the stock 2.3.6 was. I don't think I'll be changing roms because this one suits me perfectly. I also hate that new glow effect with the scrolling.

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes, once I flashed the rom, I did a factory reset just to make sure everything is fresh. Yea its a pain but I guess that has to be done whenever flashing roms. TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

I figured that would be the case, just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

BTW, do you get a yellow warning icon on the boot screen now?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I figured that would be the case, just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

BTW, do you get a yellow warning icon on the boot screen now?

Yes, but its just part of the logo. I love the ICS boot animation. I also love the fact that my phone now shows its true connection. 3G for UMTS, and H+ for HSPA+.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this - just installed it now gonna check it out. So far so good in that the haptic feedback on home buttons work and that Wifi works fine lol. Miles ahead of most of my other flashes so far ;)

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Just for the sake of clarity: UnNamed 2.2.1 loads Android 2.3.6, not 2.3.4.

The yellow warning triangle is NOT part of the standard UnNamed boot up screen process. It indicates that a non-stock kernel was flashed during root. You can remove the triangle by using Odin in download mode to install Entropy's rooted stock kernel. This will not reset the flash counter. You can then flash a custom CWM kernel using Mobile Odin, then flash UnNamed, and the yellow triangle will be eliminated, and you will only have that wonderful, flashing color tile bootup screen from then on. The best guide to the process can be found here .

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site

The yellow warning triangle is NOT part of the standard UnNamed boot up screen process. It indicates that a non-stock kernel was flashed during root. You can remove the triangle by using Odin in download mode to install Entropy's rooted stock kernel. This will not reset the flash counter. You can then flash a custom CWM kernel using Mobile Odin, then flash UnNamed, and the yellow triangle will be eliminated, and you will only have that wonderful, flashing color tile bootup screen from then on. The best guide to the process can be found here .

Thanks for this tip. Though the yellow triangle doesn't bother me. I'm just really loving the world of Android tonight as I just bought SetCPU. :D

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Yea the triangle doesn't bug me much but thanks for the link, may just do that for kicks. Although sad to see it is 2.3.6 loaded. Will have to keep my eye out for the battery drain issue I had when I did the OTA. So far it looks ok, display is eating up more but I thought it was curious that I saw Android OS at second spot again using up a good chunk of power. Might have to load a different ROM if this continues to trend but this is a nice rom if you take that fact out of it!

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for this tip. Though the yellow triangle doesn't bother me. I'm just really loving the world of Android tonight as I just bought SetCPU. :D

Welcome to the Android world; enjoy yourself. I have tried several ROMs, and UnNamed is really stable and smooth. The Dark Fire theme for this ROM might interest you. I am waiting for the Dark Fire Blue, which I hope will be finished soon.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea the triangle doesn't bug me much but thanks for the link, may just do that for kicks. Although sad to see it is 2.3.6 loaded. Will have to keep my eye out for the battery drain issue I had when I did the OTA. So far it looks ok, display is eating up more but I thought it was curious that I saw Android OS at second spot again using up a good chunk of power. Might have to load a different ROM if this continues to trend but this is a nice rom if you take that fact out of it!

Give the battery 3-4 days to charge up and down with your regular use, and you will probably see longer life. This has been the experience of a lot of folks flashing this ROM. I listen to CoreyM over at XDA, and this is his take, as well, here .

Reactions: werds

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the Android world; enjoy yourself. I have tried several ROMs, and UnNamed is really stable and smooth. The Dark Fire theme for this ROM might interest you. I am waiting for the Dark Fire Blue, which I hope will be finished soon.

Not too fond of the Dark Fire but the Dark Fire Blue is something I really must have. I'm assuming once he's done, the installation process will be the same? Backup, download unzipped file to sd card and boot by holding the volume keys and power button and load it up? Hopefully. I just freak out a little when I cold possibly brick my phone. Oh well.

Happy New Year!!!!

sdmark

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

I've always had the yellow triangle, and it really never bothered me...tonight and tried this for S's and G's and these are the best direction out there. Worked great...even easier than the first time I rooted my phone. Waiting for the files to download is the hardest part

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Installed UnNamed last night. Just finished setting everything up this am. Can't tell what the battery life is like just yet as I have it charging at the moment but I am optimistic. UI closely resembles stock rom afaict. So far so good. Oh, and I get no yellow triangle icon on boot. Found instructions on xda forum on how to avoid that.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Give the battery 3-4 days to charge up and down with your regular use, and you will probably see longer life. This has been the experience of a lot of folks flashing this ROM. I listen to CoreyM over at XDA, and this is his take, as well, here .

Thanks and will do!

Color me stupid, but on quick read I couldn't easily spot which version of unnamed runs 2.3.4?

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

Once again thank you very much! Went and loaded this version today and am fairly happy at the moment. Now I think I know the answer to my next question but will ask to make certain.

This rom, I assume from the information provided in the XDA thread, already has AT&T's tethering spy app/program stripped out correct? I rarely if ever tethered on my iphone (basically once or twice a year while traveling to see family and had no wifi in the car lol) and I know the GS2 has the feature built into the Android software but needed to know if I need to go looking through some root files to strip out/freeze or get rid of the apps AT&T uses.

At first glance it appears this is already taken care of in this ROM, but being new to the language and what to look for I want to just double check.

Thanks again for all the help! Gonna go do a quick nandroid backup and try my hand at the latest Cyanogenmod for some fun lol :)

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Once again thank you very much! Went and loaded this version today and am fairly happy at the moment. Now I think I know the answer to my next question but will ask to make certain.

Curious... I assume you loaded v1.3.2. What was the reason of you selecting that version over the latest 2.2.1?