Bye bye stock 2.3.6, hello Unnamed Rom

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Curious... I assume you loaded v1.3.2. What was the reason of you selecting that version over the latest 2.2.1?

Curiosity and comparisons. I was one of the group that had extremely horrid battery life on stock 2.3.6 so am playing around with different roms - decided to try 1.3.2 since it was based on 2.3.4 and see how big the difference was in battery drain.

Jury is out at the moment as unfortunately I have ROM fever...

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Not too fond of the Dark Fire but the Dark Fire Blue is something I really must have. I'm assuming once he's done, the installation process will be the same? Backup, download unzipped file to sd card and boot by holding the volume keys and power button and load it up? Hopefully. I just freak out a little when I cold possibly brick my phone. Oh well.

I see today (1/2/12) that 10tonhammr is asking for beta testers for the dark blue theme, so I assume it is coming soon. And, yes, just flash w/CWM through recovery. By the way, re the bricking fear: I understand completely. I take great comfort in having a one-click Odin that will return a bricked GS2 to a stock, rooted rom, so I pretty much have little fear of turning the phone into a paperweight. I linked the page in an earlier post, but the build can be found here as method "2c".

UK_Alum_02

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So, who is interested in posting the dummy guide to getting Unnamed without the yellow triangle, make sure it doesn't set off the counter or whatever, allow for one-touch flash back to stock etc? I am trying to piece it all together but I'd rather not screw this up.

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Curiosity and comparisons. I was one of the group that had extremely horrid battery life on stock 2.3.6 so am playing around with different roms - decided to try 1.3.2 since it was based on 2.3.4 and see how big the difference was in battery drain.

I'm gonna run UnNamed 2.2.1 for a couple of days to see if battery life gets any better. I'm thinking about giving 1.3.2 a try as well just to compare it.

Slightly off of topic... I also do a little bit of Android development and have just noticed that Eclipse's DDMS File Explorer is totally empty when I select my GS2 in the device list. It works just fine with Virtual Devices though. I *think* it used to work fine with stock ROM but I'll need to double check. I've been wondering if this is a ROM related issue so I'm interested in getting 1.3.2 a try to see if that fixes it. PMed xda forum UnNamed 2.2.1 thread top poster but may just have to post a reply to that thread instead.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna run UnNamed 2.2.1 for a couple of days to see if battery life gets any better. I'm thinking about giving 1.3.2 a try as well just to compare it.

Slightly out of topic... I also do little bit of Android development and have just noticed that Eclipse's DDMS File Explorer is totally empty when I select my GS2 in the device list. It works just fine with Virtual Devices though. I *think* it used to work fine with stock ROM but I'll need to double check. I've been wondering if this is a ROM related issue so I'm interested in getting 1.3.2 a try to see if that fixes it. PMed xda forum UnNamed 2.2.1 thread top poster but may just have to post a reply to that thread instead.

Battery life is great on 1.3.2. One thing that really helps is SetCPU. I have my phone run at a maximum of 200Mhz when the screen is turned off. Though when resuming after a while it does lag at first but really saves battery life.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
So, who is interested in posting the dummy guide to getting Unnamed without the yellow triangle, make sure it doesn't set off the counter or whatever, allow for one-touch flash back to stock etc? I am trying to piece it all together but I'd rather not screw this up.

Here's the guide to rooting and flashing a custom kernel without the triangle and upping the counter. Here's UnNamed . I recommend using the Odin one-click to rooted stock method, #2c. This is a great piece of software just to keep on the laptop, since you have the security of knowing you can always recover from a mishap/bricking event. A reminder that, to get to CWM after flashing Entropy's kernel with Odin, you need to hold the volume up/down buttons and power buttons together, until the "Galaxy GS2" screen flashes >twice<, then release, and it will boot to CWM.

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted my phone this morning and flashed Unnamed Rom and what a difference. This rom is based off 2.3.4 and is very stable. It removed all the bloatware and added the Ice Cream Sandwich animations. I was a little nervous rooting but I am so glad I did it. Anyone who is experiencing battery problems with the new update (2.3.6) I highly recommend you flash to this rom. Its based off of the stock rom which I really like.

[ROM][2.3.6] UnNamed v2.2.1 - (12/22/2011) - Improved battery life and performance - xda-developers

Unlike Unnamed 1.x, Unnamed 2.x is based off of UCKK6, while the BT-AMP drain happens far less frequently on Unnamed for some reason (I need to figure out why...), Unnamed is not completely immune to it - I've seen a few reports of issues (but far fewer than on vanilla KK6.)

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is great on 1.3.2. One thing that really helps is SetCPU. I have my phone run at a maximum of 200Mhz when the screen is turned off. Though when resuming after a while it does lag at first but really saves battery life.

After trying both UnNamed 1.3.2 and 2.2.1 I settled on 1.3.2. It just seems that battery life is noticeably better for me on that older version. I'm gonna keep it that way for a while, I think. :)

sdmark

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've read a lot about the battery issues, but haven't seen the problem myself. Unnamed 2.2.1 (2.3.6) is better than stock (2.3.4) for me.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
After trying both UnNamed 1.3.2 and 2.2.1 I settled on 1.3.2. It just seems that battery life is noticeably better for me on that older version. I'm gonna keep it that way for a while, I think. :)

Same here, after a couple days of light and intermediate usage, UnNamed 1.3.2 is working much better than 2.2.1 did or stock 2.3.6 update for me.

Since I do not have anything else to compare with I took some screenshots.I think the battery drain is decent. I could probably improve it if I needed to but for the moment I'm fairly happy.

While on the topic of batteries. I ran across a fairly nice site while on XDA which allowed me to modify my battery icon instead of having to run a separate app (You can see the changed battery icon in the screenshots). As nice as UnNamed is, the battery was one thing that bugged me, so was able to uninstall one more app and have it appear natively now on the notification bar =D

UOT Kitchen

Will probably mess with that site some more when I get time and interest in tweaking more, but overall UnNamed is fitting the bill... for now hehe.

anon(522161)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
While on the topic of batteries. I ran across a fairly nice site while on XDA which allowed me to modify my battery icon instead of having to run a separate app (You can see the changed battery icon in the screenshots). As nice as UnNamed is, the battery was one thing that bugged me, so was able to uninstall one more app and have it appear natively now on the notification bar =D

UOT Kitchen

Will probably mess with that site some more when I get time and interest in tweaking more, but overall UnNamed is fitting the bill... for now hehe.

Thanks for sharing! I'll need to take a closer look at that as battery indicator is the only UnNamed UI element I don't care much about. The image/text is just too small. So, I'll probably do the same and update the battery icon. They seem to have a GOW image there. :) Nice touch.

ghart99999

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
What Kernal/Modem are you all using with Unnamed? I would like to try Unnamed, but not sure where to go for kernal and modem to use. Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
What Kernal/Modem are you all using with Unnamed? I would like to try Unnamed, but not sure where to go for kernal and modem to use. Thanks and sorry for the newbie questions.

I am using v1.3.2 although most people say that even v2.0 is much better than stock 2.3.6 as far as battery life. All the links for everything you should need for an i777 flash is found here.

[ROM][2.3.6] UnNamed v2.2.1 - (12/22/2011) - Improved battery life and performance - xda-developers

Just scroll down to the specific one you would like. I chose v1.3.2 because it is based on the android 2.3.4

As far as kernel - v1.3.2 uses Entropy daily driver kernel. (that is part of the ROM itself although it can be found separately on XDA as well) I flashed the full zip so I would not have to worry about modem etc. I flashed it through using ClockWorkMod. As posted prominently on XDA please read everything before attempting otherwise you could brick your phone and make it unrecoverable. Here is a link to ClockWorkMod, although I THINK I loaded that kernel by doing Heimdals root.

[KERNEL] ClockworkMod Recovery 5.0.2.3 // Initramfs Template for Devs - xda-developers

Reactions: ghart99999

ghart99999

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thank you werds. One more question. It looks like CWM needs to be installed with Odlin. So I will have to learn this new application too.

Lastly, I assume its OK to install CWM after I have already rooted???

One more, are the instructions for flashing rom, installing CWM, etc. the same for the Samsung Galaxy S 2 the same as for the Epic 4G Touch? I have the touch.

werds

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you werds. One more question. It looks like CWM needs to be installed with Odlin. So I will have to learn this new application too.

Lastly, I assume its OK to install CWM after I have already rooted???

One more, are the instructions for flashing rom, installing CWM, etc. the same for the Samsung Galaxy S 2 the same as for the Epic 4G Touch? I have the touch.

Odin is fairly straight forward so a quick look around XDA should tell you all you need (honestly I forgot most of the instructions because it was that simple :( ) If you are already rooted I would suggest you try to reboot into recovery mode first, you MIGHT already have CWM installed and not know it. But yes it is ok to install CWM even after rooting.

As regards flashing a ROM onto the 4G touch. From my understanding they are the same phone in most respects but you will most likely want to make sure you download from the 4G Touch forums sectopm I looked in their forum section at XDA and found an UnNamed thread there as well [ROM][EL13 2.3.6] UnNamed v2.0.1 - (12/15/2011) - xda-developers

You would be best served using the links there as they would be more specific to your phone :) (it even has a nice video lol)

LAST PIECE THAT I FORGOT!!!! Before you flash anything, when you boot into CWM (clockworkmod) always do a NANDROID backup. This way if something goes wonky or you don't like the results you can always do a restore of your Nandroid backups later.

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thank you werds. One more question. It looks like CWM needs to be installed with Odlin. So I will have to learn this new application too.Lastly, I assume its OK to install CWM after I have already rooted??? One more, are the instructions for flashing rom, installing CWM, etc. the same for the Samsung Galaxy S 2 the same as for the Epic 4G Touch? I have the touch.

After you are rooted, the easiest way to install CWM is to flash a kernel that contains CWM, like Entropy's kernels, found here . Download the kernel to your computer, load it onto the root of your sd by using usb debugging mode, then flash it with the Mobile Odin app, obtained free on Market. This app installs on the phone itself. Much easier than using the full Odin, although that will work.

ap

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Yup - If you flash a custom kernel with Odin, you'll trigger the custom binary warning/counter - so if you're already rooted, it's best to flash a custom kernel using Mobile Odin or manually using adb.

The following in an ADB or Terminal Emulator shell will flash a kernel zImage on the I777 - THIS WILL HARDBRICK THE SKYROCKET, DO NOT DO THIS ON A SKYROCKET:
Code:
su
dd if=zImage of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

The raw zImage can be found by extracting the .tar or .zip file the kernel came in

ghart99999

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ahhhh. So flashing the Rom via Odin (PC version) will trigger the counter???

Wow OK. So I will do Odin Mobile.

Now once I flash Entropy with CWM I want to flash Unnamed ROM which already has Entropy. I assume this is OK? It will just right over the existing kernal? And then if I ever wanted to upgrade the kernal to a newer version of Entropy, just go ahead and reflash?

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11