Noob Question: Video Codecs + progressive downloads

SalilSundresh

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I was trying out the AT&T Samsung galaxy s 2 skyrocket in an AT&T store yesterday and I tried to view an iPhone playable video (2mbps or less h.264) from my website but i got the message "Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone."

My question is: Are there video codecs I can download to allow for this to download when clicked on? Would I have to root the phone to do so? Also, I tried playing an mp3 file I found linked online and when I tap on it, it has to download the entire file and then it opens. On my iPhone 4S if I tap a link to a video or audio file, it opens and progressively downloads-allowing me to watch while the rest of the video loads. Is there any way to get this to work on android?

Video file link (h.264 compression) :
http://salsunproductions.com/videos/AOTA_QT7-LARGE.mov

Mp3 link:
http://music.incompetech.com/royaltyfree2/Niles%20Blues.mp3

Ps: I intend to switch to t-mobile if I go iphone>android because they have the best plan for me which means I would purchase the t-mobile version of the galaxy s 2 as opposed to the AT&T one I tried (t-mobile only and dummy phones in the store that customers could "try out")

Entropy

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
This is a forum for the SGH-I777, not the Skyrocket.

The stock media player isn't too hot with regards to streaming - MX Video Player does a much better job with streaming video, not sure what to use for streaming audio.

The media decode in the SGH-I777 is amazing and can take a wide variety of codecs. It is, however, somewhat limited in container formats, requiring MX Video Player or DicePlayer to play things such as MKV containers. I have no idea how the Skyrocket or T989 will be for media playback - neither of those devices deserves the Galaxy S II name, they were cobbled together from Samsung's spare parts bin to support oddball radios requested by the carrier. For example, they use a Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU instead of Samsung's own Exynos processor. The Snapdragon is notoriously weak - even at 1.5 GHz, it's slower for nearly all workloads than the 1.2 GHz Exynos.