Calls over wifi and/or voip

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have any experience with making calls over wifi? I've read that I have to have AT&T enable it and then, even though the calls are being made over wifi, the minutes still come off my plan. I've also seen some apps that offer this where the calls don't come off my minutes. I'd love some feedback from anyone who has done this successfully without having the minutes come off your plan.

VOIP over Android - Anyone have any advice regarding a good app for this? I'm especially looking for Android VOIP to landline.

Thanks for any help!

R1_Rydah

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any experience with making calls over wifi? I've read that I have to have AT&T enable it and then, even though the calls are being made over wifi, the minutes still come off my plan. I've also seen some apps that offer this where the calls don't come off my minutes. I'd love some feedback from anyone who has done this successfully without having the minutes come off your plan.

VOIP over Android - Anyone have any advice regarding a good app for this? I'm especially looking for Android VOIP to landline.

Thanks for any help!
get a google voice number, and the GrooVe IP app from the market, and you can make free voip calls over 3/4G & wifi, without getting your carrier involved..

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading about GrooVe IP and GVoice and it seems to work well for some and terribly for others. I guess I should just try it out to see for myself, but I thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone had any personal experience with it. I'm thrilled to know it won't effect my plan minutes. Thanks for the clarification there! Does it work well for you on the S2?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, in trying to investigate GV a bit, as soon as I clicked on GV in my account, it locked me into autocreating a GV account. Luckily, I didn't call anything so, even though it says I have a GV #, it doesn't work. I was taken aback that they had my phone # without me doing anything since I have never entered my phone # into anything google. I value my privacy so GV is not for me. In addition, it's not totally free. I need VOIP calling that doesn't forward, because as soon as it forwards, the act of forwarding comes off my minutes. There are also issues with avoiding Voice while attempting VOIP. Too much trouble, not free and too violating, for me anyway. The worst part is, once you've set up the account, you can't cancel it without deleting your entire google account. I rooted because I didn't want apps forced on me. I also don't want a service I can't cancel.

Looking at a few other options. Keep you posted:)

----------------------<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Effect on mobile minutes/charges

The Google Voice service, besides international calling, is free.

However, using Google Voice as your voicemail for your mobile phone will require you to forward calls to Google Voice. You may incur carrier charges from your carrier for using this service, please check with your carrier directly for more information.

Reactions: nonie

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I tried Skype and it works well. I also used Tango. I like Tango's interface better and the connection isn't quite as muffled, but both work fine. Both are better than Google Voice because I don't use my minutes. Interesting what you can learn if you read the fine print:)

AnastasiaW

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Tunie, or maybe you would try our FREE softphone Vippie. It's a new app and it has a lot of features that competition didn't bring yet. It's really easy to use and it's AD FREE ;-) It's our first free app and we will appreciate your feedback :)

yohannie

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Naver Line is pretty solid. It's like WhatsApp with calling function. It only works between Naver Line users (both ends have to have the app installed) and there is no video chat. However, both the messaging feature and the free call (over wifi or data) is pretty good.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Skype doesn't work Android--->iphone. Google voice uses carrier minutes (ck the fine print). I've been using Tango and it works great. The only thing I don't like is that it automatically enters other Tango users from my contact list and I can't delete them. I guess they want to grow their customer base, but I prefer having only those I speak with in my Tango phone book. That said, it works great for me.

My suggestion is Skype

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

christysinha

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes You can easily make call with the help of Wifi and VoIP facility. You just need to have a good quality internet connection for it and after that you can easily make national and international calls in very cheap prices or even in free. This VoIP service is widely used in offices and companies.

small office telephone systems

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2