Just curious about what everyone is going to do. When ice cream sandwich comes out for your galaxy s 2 will you un root and update or will you wait until a stock ice cream sandwich rom comes out and flash it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    01-29-2012 12:31 AM
    I love my S2 as it is now, i.e. I like the simplicity of TouchWiz and I will stick with it for a while. But to actually wait for the ICS update is just plain stupidity. Atnt is going to take forever to ever drop the update to us(BTW, I still haven't received the 2.3.6 update.....effing atnt.......I am actually happy about that though, considering the number of people complaining about it).

Coming back, I will just wait for a stable CM9 release, root and then install it.
    01-30-2012 12:16 PM
    i trust the CM folks and will flash CM9 when it's released. no need to go back to stock to get the OTA with all the included bloat. i will be sticking with UnNamed 2.2.1 until CM9.
    01-30-2012 12:52 PM
    I'll be waiting for a stable ROM personally
    01-30-2012 03:27 PM
    I'll be waiting for a stable ROM personally
    I too will wait for a rom. I want.stock ics

Sent from my GS2.
    01-30-2012 03:39 PM
    Honestly cant wait to get my hands on ICS but will wait for att to push it out. I dont know where but google has forced carriers to have total unistall as part of the ICS they push out which means if i read the article correct you can remove any of the bloatware you want with ICS.

maybe i am wrong about it but article seemed to be legit. wish i could find it still. thought i saved the bookmark. =(
    01-30-2012 06:13 PM
    Wont be ICS with TW on top...ROM for me.
    bxborn31 likes this.
    01-30-2012 08:45 PM
    I, too, love my current setup. I'll be reluctant, but will eventually wait on a stable rom. Has more potential than a stock update imo.
    bxborn31 likes this.
    01-31-2012 04:14 AM
    I will flash a custom ROM based off of it. The problem is that we need at least a leak of ICS for the AT&T SGSII before we will get any ICS roms. Wishing I would've went with the international version now.
    zero. likes this.
    01-31-2012 12:26 PM
    I will flash a custom ROM based off of it. The problem is that we need at least a leak of ICS for the AT&T SGSII before we will get any ICS roms. Wishing I would've went with the international version now.
    i thought once ICS dropped anyone would be able to access the files to mod? isnt it open sourced?
    01-31-2012 03:23 PM
    i thought once ICS dropped anyone would be able to access the files to mod? isnt it open sourced?
    Yes but getting it to work on individual phones is a different issue since not all the hardware is documented well nor are drivers always available.(From my short understanding of reading the XDA forums)
    01-31-2012 09:16 PM
    Yes but getting it to work on individual phones is a different issue since not all the hardware is documented well nor are drivers always available.(From my short understanding of reading the XDA forums)
    Ahh I see.

Sent from my GS2.
    01-31-2012 11:16 PM
    I have been running an ICS-based ROM for a while now, and am very happy with it.
    Galnetmiui is very stable and had some great features. It took me Weeks of trying multiple ROMs before I finally settled on this one, do it'll take something really special for me to move now.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    02-01-2012 12:28 AM
    I have been running an ICS-based ROM for a while now, and am very happy with it.
    Galnetmiui is very stable and had some great features. It took me Weeks of trying multiple ROMs before I finally settled on this one, do it'll take something really special for me to move now.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Is it fully functional? It's a full rom of ics or just a theme? Just asking because I been looking for the best ics rom and don't know which to choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-09-2012 07:03 AM
    this is what i've been waiting for. and i'll continue to wait... i hear the cows, they must be coming home soon.
    02-09-2012 05:35 PM
    I guess he is running this one {Rom} {GalnetMIUI 2.11.26} {ICS 4.0.1} {11-26-11} - xda-developers

I'm pretty happy with illustion-xt !! The most battery friendly rom I have run..
    02-09-2012 07:07 PM
    Galnet is not ICS - it's a hacked ICS framework over Gingerbread.

As to what will be needed for ICS on our device:

1) I9100 ICS to become official - until this happens, there is no kernel source for the leaks, and thus nothing that can be done to try and port it to our device. Once kernel source drops, the work for porting that release to I777 starts. Touchkeys should take a matter of hours or days - mainly due to whether that kernel source drops when I'm free or when I'm busy.

2) Audio routing issues fixed - this could prove to be highly problematic, as it's not within the open source kernel. On Gingerbread, the workaround for this was to disable Samsung Noise Reduction - this may or may not work on ICS, it's too early to know. If the audio routing issues prove insurmountable, we may need to wait for an I777-specific leak.

Either way - Our start gate is when I9100 ICS goes live AND kernel source is released (sometimes Samsung takes a few weeks to drop source for updates - see the Infuse as an example), right now Samsung is claiming March for that, and based on the progress of the XXLP* leaks, I think they are on track for that.
    zero. and bxborn31 like this.
    02-10-2012 12:33 PM
    Galnet is not ICS - it's a hacked ICS framework over Gingerbread.

As to what will be needed for ICS on our device:

1) I9100 ICS to become official - until this happens, there is no kernel source for the leaks, and thus nothing that can be done to try and port it to our device. Once kernel source drops, the work for porting that release to I777 starts. Touchkeys should take a matter of hours or days - mainly due to whether that kernel source drops when I'm free or when I'm busy.

2) Audio routing issues fixed - this could prove to be highly problematic, as it's not within the open source kernel. On Gingerbread, the workaround for this was to disable Samsung Noise Reduction - this may or may not work on ICS, it's too early to know. If the audio routing issues prove insurmountable, we may need to wait for an I777-specific leak.

Either way - Our start gate is when I9100 ICS goes live AND kernel source is released (sometimes Samsung takes a few weeks to drop source for updates - see the Infuse as an example), right now Samsung is claiming March for that, and based on the progress of the XXLP* leaks, I think they are on track for that.
    i knew you would be on top of this. awesome. thanks to you here & at XDA.

the rumor mill is gearing up from outside sources as well:
    Samsung Galaxy S2 and Galaxy Note Getting Ice Cream Sandwich March 1st?
    02-10-2012 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD