New smart phone user and on a budget

Other Foot

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
My first smart phone just had to be an AT&T Galaxy S II. It is a refurbished unit that I used to renew my AT&T contract for a total outlay of less than $50.00. I am enjoying it here on my second day, but it didn't come with a user manual and I haven't seen some of my initial questions addressed here on the forum.

I'm on a tight budget, so I opted for the 300MB plan, hoping that would be enough for me. I won't be watching videos, playing games or doing any social networking on it. I have some websites I'll be checking up on when I am out of town and I might set up email. I will probably use maps to find my way, but didn't add GPS because of the cost. I like the contacts and am trying the alarm for a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I use WiFi when I am at home and plan to use the camera somewhat frequently.

I guess my first worry is going over the 300MB data. I like having the weather app on the home screen and I refresh it several times a day. I don't know if that affects my data. Yesterday I couldn't figure out a quick way to close the internet connection after I checked my own forum.

And I never felt more ignorant when I got my first (and so far only) call today and couldn't figure out how to answer it. I kept tapping the green phone, but the phone just kept ringing. This is a completely different beast than my old LG slider.

There seems to be quite a bit of info here on apps and features, but not much on basic use. Pardon my n00bness - haven't felt this lost since I got my first computer in 1992. Anyone that can offer guidance or point me in the right direction, I will be in your debt.

Thanks,

Jim

vdalek

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to android my friend! Once you have a smart phone, you can never go back.

To use your phone, you'll find a bunch of videos on youtube on how to use an android phone. All versions of android are very similar from the first Motorola Backflip At&t android phone, so any video should help you navigate very easily.

DO BE CAREFUL with the internet. Yes, the weather app is constantly rack up data usage as it communicates with the web to update the weather. Emails work much the same way. I would call At&t often to confirm your data useage nearly EVERYDAY.

When the first Iphone came out, everyone selected the cheaper data package and racked up $20,000 bills.

All the best.

Reactions: Other Foot

runtohell121

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I personally thing 300mb won't be enough for a smartphone. I use my phone for FB, internet browsing on the go, maps, etc. I don't even have my email set up on my phone. Although you don't need to pay additional to use GPS, you'll probably be using Google Map/Navigation which consumes data unless you somehow downloaded/cached the maps you need or buy another navigation software such as Navigon.

Any apps that refreshes will most likely consume data from your 300mb limit. Weather, Facebook, email, and other widgets will consume data if you set it on an interval for refreshes such as 1 hour refresh for the weather app. To disable internet connection, there's an app/widget in the Android Market or you can always go to settings and disable data from there but that's the long way.

You'll figure out the phone after 2-3 days owning the phone.

Reactions: Other Foot

Other Foot

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I was really hoping my AT&T bill wouldn't have to be higher than 60 bucks a month (plus tax, etc.). That's 20 more than it was with the old phone. The next step up is 80.00 and has a 3GB data plan, but my calculations say that's way overkill. I guess I will have to see how my use goes over the next couple of weeks. I'll check the data usage, as you suggest.

I did visit the videos and feel kinda dumb that I didn't set all the options in the phone app/function. All I have to do now is tap the home button to answer. The end call button is always visible. I see I can also set up some excuses why I can't take a call. When I tried that, a second or two later a message popped up telling me that my home phone number was invalid. It asked for a valid 10 digit number. I've always entered a 1 before all phone numbers that had a different area code than mine. Maybe that's not necessary with these "smarter" phones?

I'm enjoying learning. Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to my trip to Reno tomorrow to pick up a microSD card so I can dump my old MP3 player. I'm thinking a 32GB class 4 or better will be what I need to store my music and any pictures I take. Pics will be transferred to my PC afterward. I might even try taking a video of myself gliding on my Segway. Well, not of myself - no one wants to see that - but of the gliding itself.

Best R'gards,

Jim

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
While I normally wouldn't recommend the bloatware apps, in your case, I'd suggest logging into your account through My AT&T to check your data usage. See what a day's transfer will be, and adjust accordingly. In my experience, 10 MB per day doesn't go far.

There are other options out there -- like My Data Manager, which shows daily data use for the previous 30 days and can be set to warn you when your monthly limit is nearly reached -- but the above is probably the simplest.

Martavious

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
IMO your usage probably won't hardly ever crack 150Mb much less 300Mb. My Data Manager Free (get off the Android Market and not Amazon) is a good tool to help monitor your usage as well as dialing *3282# to get a text back from AT&T with your data usage for the billing period.

300Mb will go a long ways especially with being on WiFi a good bit of the time.

mcl5000

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I would honestly bump it to 3 gigs for a month or two, and check how much data you used in those months. I'd rather spend the extra $20 for a couple months than be hit with a $500 bill because you unknowingly went over.

Obviously if you see you're only using 150 mb, it's safe to drop it down.

Other Foot

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I would honestly bump it to 3 gigs for a month or two, and check how much data you used in those months. I'd rather spend the extra $20 for a couple months than be hit with a $500 bill because you unknowingly went over.

Obviously if you see you're only using 150 mb, it's safe to drop it down.
I've only used 2.4MB since I got the phone. I will keep close tabs on my usage. I don't want to sign up for more data than I need right now. If I see I could go over, I can upgrade then.

tapping the green button doesn't answer the call. you need to slide the button to the right.
I noticed that. I also discovered I can do a 1-tap answer by tapping the Home icon.

---

I was hoping to pick up a 32GB micro SD card in Reno today. No one had one and I shopped a half-dozen places. So, I just ordered one online that had what I felt were the best reviews from Android users, a Lexar MicroSDHC 32 GB Class 10. I'm kinda anxious to shoot a video. I haven't done that since I borrowed mom's Super8 movie camera when I was in high school... about... oh jeez... almost 50 years ago. :(

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haileyroyer67