(stock) Power Saver and (app) Battery Saver?

puddin78

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello I am new to Android and just recently got the SGS2. I really like it but coming from a BB, the battery life has been the only killjoy in my Android experience.

I noticed that the phone had a "Power Saver" option so I had activated that the very first day. A few days later (while browsing here and there on the web) I installed a battery saver (Easy Battery Saver) to try and boost my battery life. But I realized the Power Saver function on the phone does many of the same things as the battery saver and am wondering if it is ok to have both of then runnung at the same time? Could it be more harmful or does it not matter?

Thanks in advance :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would ditch the 3rd party application. Normally the built in task killers/battery apps provided are more than enough. It has been proven repeatedly that 3rd party task killer/battery apps cause more trouble than they are worth despite what you see and read.

Other options I would look into to improve battery life is things like

Screen brightness
Screen on time (reduce the time the screen stays on when idle)
Email/Social Media (polling/syncing time. Example more often is worse on battery)

puddin78

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have read alot of differing views on what harm (if any) 3rd party task killers may cause. I came to the conclusion that most people were warning against using a task killer more so than a battery saver. I saw alot of people swear by Juice Defender but at the same time there were also people who said it was horrible. No middle ground lol. I will try JD for a few days to see if it does anything.

I have already done the basic battery saving steps as you suggested. I tend to agree with what you are saying and having 3 or 4 widgets probably doesn't help lol. I suppose trial and error is the best way. Thanks for your help :)

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Blackberries had good battery life because they're not constantly pinging the internet for new mail, new updates, new data to sync, more news stories, twitter etc. What is it that's using up most of your battery? What's your firmware?

My phone Android OS was always like 10 percent battery drain 60 percent display and then some odds and ends like a podcast app taking up 8 percent etc.

Then I installed an update which didn't bring a single noticeable feature and what do I get? Half as much battery life, and Android OS using up like 30-40 percent battery life.

I'm kinda planning on backing up my phone and putting on a new mod. ATT can bite me for what they did to my phone I'm putting on CF at this point. I loved my phone until that update and I'm not going to go and buy a bunch of extended batteries because someone bought a case to protect my phone and the case is the Ballistic case. I'm not going to take this massive thing off and on every day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21