GSII Arriving today, can I block 2.3.6?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks,

My wife's new (refurb) GSII is arriving today. I guess I'll have to wait and see, since it is a refurb, if 2.3.6 is already installed. But if not, is there a way to block the update or just choose not to update? I read that I can root and run Titanium Backup to block it somehow, but is there any way to do it without root?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not that I am aware of other than to keep denying the update... There has been some work arounds on other devices but it seems like the update notification has always returned at some point.

May I ask why you would want to deny the update? The OTA update will retain all your data, etc unless otherwise stated. So unless there is a real big problem with the 2.3.6 update I wouldn't see why you wouldn't want to grab it.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
May I ask why you would want to deny the update? The OTA update will retain all your data, etc unless otherwise stated. So unless there is a real big problem with the 2.3.6 update I wouldn't see why you wouldn't want to grab it.

I heard the 2.3.6 update resulted in terrible battery life.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would consider doing some more research on this before turning away from the update. Again battery life is probably 80% user related and 20% OS. Of course that is just a random percentage pulled out of air but after all its your usage style/habits that dictate how your battery will last more than the OS.

Reactions: whitenack

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I would consider doing some more research on this before turning away from the update. Again battery life is probably 80% user related and 20% OS. Of course that is just a random percentage pulled out of air but after all its your usage style/habits that dictate how your battery will last more than the OS.

Do you have any suggestions on where to start my research? I have read these forums and others and all I can find is that people think it is a real issue and there isn't much of a viable solution at this point.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I don't have any resources off the top of my head but its surprising because its rare your hear of an official OS update resulting in poor battery life. Especially GB, I know early versions of GB like 2.3.3/2.3.4 had some probs on all devices but the later 2.3.5/2.3.6 seemed to resolve most issues.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Honestly I don't have any resources off the top of my head but its surprising because its rare your hear of an official OS update resulting in poor battery life. Especially GB, I know early versions of GB like 2.3.3/2.3.4 had some probs on all devices but the later 2.3.5/2.3.6 seemed to resolve most issues.

I am finding stuff all over. Here in this forum just a few threads down from this one and then out on the internets. Doing a quick Google Search provides plenty to read.

So, either it is a real thing or a lot of peoples' imaginations/mass hysteria.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
My wife received hers a couple of weeks ago and it had 2.3.6 installed already. Her battery easily goes all day usually with plenty to spare. Maybe it would have been better before the update but she's happy with it as it is.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem. My wife is not a power user so her battery life experience is probably not typical of someone frequenting this forum. :)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am finding stuff all over. Here in this forum just a few threads down from this one and then out on the internets. Doing a quick Google Search provides plenty to read.

So, either it is a real thing or a lot of peoples' imaginations/mass hysteria.

If that's the case you will end up having to keep denying the update or root and install custom ROM which will stop the update from coming through.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

dr. acula

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
There is a battery problem. It is not a myth, and it is due a software flaw in the WIFI. Only way to prevent it is not updating or rooting.

With moderate usage, my battery is dead long before I go to sleep. Before the update, I would get a day and a half.

Beware.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I fixed the problem with my wife's GS2 by installing the 3200ma battery, got it on sale right here. If it was my phone I would have tweaked and kept track of what was running...but if you can solve your wife's problem with $62...its priceless. Have not heard a complaint since.;)

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
The phone arrived with 2.3.6 already installed. This is my wife's phone, and she isn't a power user, so I'm going to wait and see if action is needed. Thanks everyone.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I pretty much left my stock until good ICS leaks come out (waiting to hear the results people get from the leak yesterdayt) and I'm even on 2.3.6 which everyone seems to claim has bad battery life, it's a work phone so I can put 2 1/2 hours of talk time on it when I'm out of the office, plus checking email and surfing all day, it's never died on me before the end of the day. I leave 3G or (Faux G) and GPS on all day and have both gmail and exchange set to push.

The last comment said wifi was the problem and that may be true, I never both with wifi it's a work phone so I don't do any audio or video streaming so I don't really have to worry about the 2GB cap on my account, but without wifi on it's fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance