07-15-2012 05:54 PM
61 123
tools
    My biggest complaint about battery life is that if I restart the phone, it mysteriously loses about 40% of the remaining life - I was at 60% or so, restarted due to Swype not showing corrections (which it started doing after the ICS update) - as soon as the phone came back on, it was at 19% battery! There is NO reason a battery should mysteriously drop 40% from a restart.

I'm not sure if I want to just buy an extended battery or root and use a custom ROM, since this one seems to still be screwing things up, sadly.
    I have had the EXACT thing happen to me.

I should have never upgraded to ICS. The battery doesn't make it even ten hours with mild use, it drops mysteriously (see above), and it very slow and choppy upon waking it. I had less problems with GB!
    Kiel likes this.
    07-07-2012 11:11 PM
    I have had the EXACT thing happen to me.

I should have never upgraded to ICS. The battery doesn't make it even ten hours with mild use, it drops mysteriously (see above), and it very slow and choppy upon waking it. I had less problems with GB!
    Have you considered rooting?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
    07-08-2012 11:07 PM
    Did you tried to restore any information that was on your phone prior to the update (like sms, etc). I factory restored my phone 2-3 times. It appears that each time when I try to restore my sms from one of the backup files i made, my phone started to have all sorts of battery issues, losing half my battery life on each reboot, etc.
    07-09-2012 10:26 AM
    CONS:
    *I also have the same battery percentage drop problem. I had the same problem in Gingerbread though. And this problem happens at random at any time too. Suddenly the phone will not respond and I can not lock the screen, buttons won't respond, etc and will either restart on it's own or I have to hold down the power button until it hard restarts. My wifes phone(same model/update) has this issue as well with different apps and stock launcher. I downloaded ICS by entering my phone model/SN before the release date and updated my wifes phone a few days later the normal way.

*Battery life is about the same, sometimes worse - I am trying to track it down with Better Battery States, CPU Spy, etc to see if I can find out why it drains so fast(usually 35 to 40% at 6PM, off charger at 7:30 AM). I found that the Fox News app was constantly staying on in ICS but acted normal in GB so I deleted it.

*Slow to open apps/screens. Not all the time but sometimes it will become unresponsive and take a few seconds before it does anything. Locking the screen and waiting a few seconds will help.

PROS:
    *USB Support for small devices!! I could plug in a thumb drive and mouse before but now I can plug in an external SD card reader(and SD card from DSLR) to view, edit, send files while out on a photo shoot! This feature alone is worth dealing with the hassles above! (And fun to show off in front of friends with iPhones too...)

*Task manager swipe feature is convenient!

Overall, I like it!
    07-09-2012 04:35 PM
    ]sweet....did you just use adapters to make the necessary connections?

charly
    07-09-2012 08:07 PM
    I dumped, touchwiz and bloatware, the same day I got my phone. I installed AOKP based on ITS. The phone runs the way it should. Fast, and battery friendly and customizable any way you want.. With light usage, I use about 30 percent in about 15 hours.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums
    07-09-2012 08:32 PM
    Hi cwhedger,

I bought a female usb to micro usb adapter off Amazon similar to this one, plugged it in, and opened up Quick Pic(i use this over the stock gallery) and was able to see all of the pictures from an SD card that I had plugged into a SD card reader and this adapter. This is an EXTREMELY helpful feature to me.
    07-10-2012 09:12 AM
    To many bugs text notifications dont work freezes browser and the samsung keyboard goes into airplane mode by itself

Sent from the Darkside of the Force
    07-14-2012 09:31 AM
    So far I like the ICS upgrade. However i'm p.o'd that i can't re-size the default samsung app - the one that has the gps/bluetooth/wifi ,etc...toggle.
    j510 likes this.
    07-14-2012 01:40 PM
    It's not free, but give HD Widgets a look. You can add whichever switches you want to either a 4x1 bar or individually in 1x1 widgets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums
    07-14-2012 02:31 PM
    Hi cwhedger,

I bought a female usb to micro usb adapter off Amazon similar to this one, plugged it in, and opened up Quick Pic(i use this over the stock gallery) and was able to see all of the pictures from an SD card that I had plugged into a SD card reader and this adapter. This is an EXTREMELY helpful feature to me.
    Thanks for that. I just ordered a few of those!

So far I like the ICS upgrade. However i'm p.o'd that i can't re-size the default samsung app - the one that has the gps/bluetooth/wifi ,etc...toggle.
    I wish I could shrink that down, too. Kind of hate to pay for a better one.

I can't tell about the battery usage yet, really. One thing I do believe, though, is that I'm used to only seeing the little battery icon and using it to gauge the battery charge level for the most part because it was a bit of a pain to see the percentage with GB.

And the icon is low resolution and gives me a false impression that I've got more battery power than I really do. So now, with ICS, seeing the actual numeric percentage, I notice the battery dropping more than if I only had the icon. So my perception may be that the battery drains faster, but the reality may be that I'm just noticing it by being able to see it in 1% increments now.

The phone seems to suck down the battery fast when I'm actually using it and have the display running. But when idling, it doesn't seem that bad. But it's hard to tell without doing a controlled side-by-side test. Too many uncontrolled variables for me at this point to be a valid comparison.

I have had a number of lockups in just a couple of days, and have had to do a couple of total power downs to get out of them. That only happened once in about six months with GB. So that's not a good sign at all.

Some things do seem quite sluggish, too.

I've also had a number of occasions where the task manager shows an app (always FireFox so far) running, but pressing the FireFox entry in task manager won't bring FireFox up. Instead, I have to go to the FireFox launch icon and it brings it up just fine. That doesn't always happen, but it's happened three or four times in the day or two I've been running ICS.

And I'm not seeing a lot of the features that are supposed to be in ICS.

Also, sometimes I try to launch an app from its icon, and it won't launch. Or I get an error message saying that the app is not installed on the phone! Then I try it again, and mysteriously, it all works. Pretty flaky!

On the good side:

I do like the changes to the standard keyboard. I make a LOT less mistakes with it now, and the new way it shows the suggested alternate spellings is far more useful to me.

I like seeing the battery charge level percentage, even if it is disappointing to see it drop so fast.

I sure hope there's an update with bug-fixes and that we get the things that were promised in ICS fairly soon. So far ICS on this phone, using AT&T, has been a disappointment.
    07-15-2012 05:54 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD