Since ICS upgrade, battery draining 3%/hr while idling

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Since the ICS update my awesome battery life I had has took a crap. I was going two whole days on one charge. Now, I've been on my phone for 45 minutes this morning and its down to 70%...........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Since the ICS update my awesome battery life I had has took a crap. I was going two whole days on one charge. Now, I've been on my phone for 45 minutes this morning and its down to 70%...........

What's it showing as taking your battery? I am on a custom ICS ROM and I am okay. I am currently on a sprint s2 but it have an att one as well. The sprint is a little worse on battery due to the network sometimes.. The 3g is bad but wimax is good.

You should be able to get 2 days with minor usage. I get only one day but I text and use streaming apps alot so.. It's understandable. I do like 2-2.5k texts a month but usually can get a full 20ish hours on battery.
633bdf21-3c54-3966.jpg

But yeah check what's draining it.

I just took the picture below. Take on of your usage and post it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

el bos

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
What's it showing as taking your battery? I am on a custom ICS ROM and I am okay. I am currently on a sprint s2 but it have an att one as well. The sprint is a little worse on battery due to the network sometimes.. The 3g is bad but wimax is good.

You should be able to get 2 days with minor usage. I get only one day but I text and use streaming apps alot so.. It's understandable. I do like 2-2.5k texts a month but usually can get a full 20ish hours on battery. Click to view quoted image

What custom rom are you using?

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

You should be able to get 2 days with minor usage. I get only one day but I text and use streaming apps alot so.. It's understandable. I do like 2-2.5k texts a month but usually can get a full 20ish hours on battery. Click to view quoted image

el bos

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
You HAVE TO DO A FULL FACTORY RESET. Meaning you have to reformat the device memory, usb storage, and your SD card if you have one installed. Just make sure you backup your important files. I was having horrible battery life as well until I did a full factory reset. Now I'm having amazing battery life and I'm using stock ICS.

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
You HAVE TO DO A FULL FACTORY RESET. Meaning you have to reformat the device memory, usb storage, and your SD card if you have one installed. Just make sure you backup your important files. I was having horrible battery life as well until I did a full factory reset. Now I'm having amazing battery life and I'm using stock ICS.

When you say "Stock ICS" do you mean a Rom, or the update through Kies??

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
OK so I did the dreadful wipe yesterday. Downloaded some apps and stuff and let it charge all night. This morning its dropped 25% in about a hour..... looks like I'm stuck with a charge cord like the trash iPhone. Hopefully this gets fixed, already miss the gingerbread.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the ICS update through Kies after getting a text from AT&T about the upgrade. I used the phone for a few hours and then tried a test. I gave it a full charge, turned off WiFi and background sync and then rebooted. Over a 36 hour period the phone averaged 0.6% battery use per hour. I basically did nothing with the phone during this time except check the battery use every couple of hours. The battery use was better on 2.3.6 without WiFi but this seems good enough for me. It is nice to have the update.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
It's just sad that we have to jump through all these loops just to get our phone to last a day. I dont consider having to 1) turning off Wifi, 2) killing background sync, 3) low screen brightness, 4) quicker screen timeout lock, 5) turning off data connection, etc. to get a day worth of battery as having a "good battery life"

Last edited:
Reactions: KRoberts

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Update: been on battery today for 6 hours and the battery dropped 2% since my post this morning.

frozencloud

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Have you done anything different Roberts other than the wipe? Like turn off wifi, screen brightness, etc? It seems that when I turn all of those settings off, my phone battery get the same results as yours. The issue for me is that when I turn on these features or use my phone. My phone just heats up and start draining battery. I can lose up to 20% within 10 minutes surfing or texting (I'm currently using Nova Launcher fyi).

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
OK so I did the dreadful wipe yesterday. Downloaded some apps and stuff and let it charge all night. This morning its dropped 25% in about a hour..... looks like I'm stuck with a charge cord like the trash iPhone. Hopefully this gets fixed, already miss the gingerbread.

I am thinking of doing the same thing, but I wanted to make sure, that I can 1) re-download all of the apps that I purchased (Free/Paid) from google. 2) If I used Kies to backup my contacts and my messages (I am assuming text messages), will I be able to put them back on the phone, and 3) once I do the reset, would I need to do the OTA firmware update (Gingerbread), then connect it to Kies to do the firmware update (Ice Cream Sandwich).

These are the questions that I have before I do a factory reset.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of doing the same thing, but I wanted to make sure, that I can 1) re-download all of the apps that I purchased (Free/Paid) from google. 2) If I used Kies to backup my contacts and my messages (I am assuming text messages), will I be able to put them back on the phone, and 3) once I do the reset, would I need to do the OTA firmware update (Gingerbread), then connect it to Kies to do the firmware update (Ice Cream Sandwich).

These are the questions that I have before I do a factory reset.

1. Yes you can redownload whatever you want or need it does not do it for you. 2. Kies will back up your pics music contacts and miscellaneous info like log in stuff. It WILL NOT reinstall your text messages that I know of. I clear that out regularly anyway because it deletes like 20megs every time. 3. It doesn't delete your firmware, only puts it to stock form like when you bought it. You can do all of the kies stuff all at once, back up first and then do the update. Which you will be prompted to do so durning the update anyway. So, remember to back up everything and do not wipe your SD card unless you need to do so for yourself. Also wait to wipe it until after you get the ICS installed. That way you can wait and see if you even need to.

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Why should we have to do all this crap just to make it a day? When I complain about the battery the only response I get is: "what are your settings? Wifi? Bluetooth?...." They might as well ask me "Are you actually USING your phone?!"

I didn't expect I'd need to read through message boards to just use my phone. I called Samsung and was told, "using apps will drain your battery." So THAT'S what we've all been doing wrong since the update!

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's just sad that we have to jump through all these loops just to get our phone to last a day. I dont consider having to 1) turning off Wifi, 2) killing background sync, 3) low screen brightness, 4) quicker screen timeout lock, 5) turning off data connection, etc. to get a day worth of battery as having a "good battery life"

Exactly how I feel. "Have you tried to drain your battery all the way, pull it out, then back in, then re-charge, then add this rom and that rom, then do a full factory reset..."

Ridiculous.

Is it still a mobile phone if I have to keep it plugged in ALL friggin' day?! It isn't very mobile.

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes you can redownload whatever you want or need it does not do it for you. 2. Kies will back up your pics music contacts and miscellaneous info like log in stuff. It WILL NOT reinstall your text messages that I know of. I clear that out regularly anyway because it deletes like 20megs every time. 3. It doesn't delete your firmware, only puts it to stock form like when you bought it. You can do all of the kies stuff all at once, back up first and then do the update. Which you will be prompted to do so durning the update anyway. So, remember to back up everything and do not wipe your SD card unless you need to do so for yourself. Also wait to wipe it until after you get the ICS installed. That way you can wait and see if you even need to.

Ok, so I did the Factory Reset on my phone, and it reset the phone, but back to ICS (4.0.3), but back to the version that I had when I bought the phone. Is that what it is supposed to do?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is my first android phone.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I did the Factory Reset on my phone, and it reset the phone, but back to ICS (4.0.3), but back to the version that I had when I bought the phone. Is that what it is supposed to do?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but this is my first android phone.

Yeah ics 4.0.3 is the firmware we're all having issues with currently. The firm we came from was 2.3.6 gingerbread. The wipe, while on ics 4.0.3, is suppose to help with better battery life. And no worries, no dumb question exist, its only dumb to not ask it.

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah ics 4.0.3 is the firmware we're all having issues with currently. The firm we came from was 2.3.6 gingerbread. The wipe, while on ics 4.0.3, is suppose to help with better battery life. And no worries, no dumb question exist, its only dumb to not ask it.

Sorry, made an error, i meant to say, "but not back to the version that I had," meaning it stayed on ICS not Gingerbread. Was that ok?