Since ICS upgrade, battery draining 3%/hr while idling

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, made an error, i meant to say, "but not back to the version that I had," meaning it stayed on ICS not Gingerbread. Was that ok?

Yeah wiping it won't downgrade you. Only clean up the phone of junk pretty much. Downgrading I'm not sure on how to do it, if your wanting to ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah wiping it won't downgrade you. Only clean up the phone of junk pretty much. Downgrading I'm not sure on how to do it, if your wanting to ?

Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was stating my question correctly.

On a different note, Nova Launcher, is it equal to or more than the TouchWiz Launcher when dealing with resources (battery/ram/processor)? I want to get that stock ICS feel but I am afraid that if I download Nova, I will have to worry about my battery/resource.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I just wanted to make sure I was stating my question correctly.

On a different note, Nova Launcher, is it equal to or more than the TouchWiz Launcher when dealing with resources (battery/ram/processor)? I want to get that stock ICS feel but I am afraid that if I download Nova, I will have to worry about my battery/resource.

Wise thought. Keep in mind all these apps people say to get to monitor your phone, also help ruin what your trying to localize. Like battery apps monitoring and helping improve battery life, well, those still use battery power to run. So what is it really doing. Just pay attention to your task manager and don't have background data running , you don't need it. As far as launchers go, I use go launcher. Very customizable and I haven't noticed much battery wear from it, before and after the update. Or, just leave it and don't install a launcher. That'll give you both the clean feel of ics and use less power.

Theolodin

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
So I did the factory reset, and downloaded my apps ( I have not re-downloaded Beautiful Widgets or Nova Launcher), and my battery has improved greatly (I think greatly), from 2~3% and hr to about .8%~1% an hr. That is with a few phone calls, and checking the battery in settings. I think I may hold off on Beautiful Widgets, but I am not sure yet.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
While the battery has slightly improved, there are still other issues:

1) The clock will be off by 10 mins at least once a day.

2) Phone won't wake up which requires a battery pull (every 2-3 days)

3) General laginess - takes 1-2 seconds to wake up, apps take a second or longer to launch or close, animations crawl.

If I want to factory reset my phone and start w/ a "clean install", do I need to do more than back-up photos, vids, etc.? My e-mail, contacts and calendar are all in Gmail. Do I do the reset while plugged into Kies?

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
So I did the factory reset, and downloaded my apps ( I have not re-downloaded Beautiful Widgets or Nova Launcher), and my battery has improved greatly (I think greatly), from 2~3% and hr to about .8%~1% an hr. That is with a few phone calls, and checking the battery in settings. I think I may hold off on Beautiful Widgets, but I am not sure yet.

Yeah the more widgets you have and how often they refresh WILL use the battery. All that fancy stuff you see is a up sale point and all of it uses power. I don't run weather widgets or anything like that. I have a clock as my only widget. Oh and YouTube but that shuts off when I disable background data.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
While the battery has slightly improved, there are still other issues:

1) The clock will be off by 10 mins at least once a day.

2) Phone won't wake up which requires a battery pull (every 2-3 days)

3) General laginess - takes 1-2 seconds to wake up, apps take a second or longer to launch or close, animations crawl.

If I want to factory reset my phone and start w/ a "clean install", do I need to do more than back-up photos, vids, etc.? My e-mail, contacts and calendar are all in Gmail. Do I do the reset while plugged into Kies?

Not sure on the clock issue. How many widgets do you have on your screen? Is it set to update via network?

If you require a battery pull that often you either have to much going on with your phone. Like running apps, that all refresh on unlock. Or its a phone issue and insurance is needed.

My screen also takes a minute to unlock. Not sure why, a buddies at work, his phone(not Samsung) also does that. Must be a android thing. If your Gmail account already has your contacts saved, your good. Yup photos, music, miscellaneous info too if you want. You don't have to be connected to kies to reset, the option is on your phone too. But, Kies will remind you to backup if you use it. But if you remember it then your good.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure on the clock issue. How many widgets do you have on your screen? Is it set to update via network?

If you require a battery pull that often you either have to much going on with your phone. Like running apps, that all refresh on unlock. Or its a phone issue and insurance is needed.

My screen also takes a minute to unlock. Not sure why, a buddies at work, his phone(not Samsung) also does that. Must be a android thing. If your Gmail account already has your contacts saved, your good. Yup photos, music, miscellaneous info too if you want. You don't have to be connected to kies to reset, the option is on your phone too. But, Kies will remind you to backup if you use it. But if you remember it then your good.

1 widget (BeWeather) that updates once each hour. The only other thing that I have set to work in the background is my Gmail account, which is set to sync.

I'll also say that I didn't have any of these issues with 2.3.6.

Will a factory reset reinstall the OS or will it simply erase my personal info?

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
1 widget (BeWeather) that updates once each hour. The only other thing that I have set to work in the background is my Gmail account, which is set to sync.

I'll also say that I didn't have any of these issues with 2.3.6.

Will a factory reset reinstall the OS or will it simply erase my personal info?

The wipe will erase any trace of your info. It will NOT downgrade the firmware.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Once more before I wipe it...

Will factory resetting it do anything to OS other than remove my apps, personal data, and reset the basic look of the thing? In other words, will it reload the OS? I'd think that simply wiping personal data isn't going to positively effect the issues that I've been having. Rather, I'd think that reloading the OS is what would be required in order to do that.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Will factory resetting it do anything to OS other than remove my apps, personal data, and reset the basic look of the thing? In other words, will it reload the OS? I'd think that simply wiping personal data isn't going to positively effect the issues that I've been having. Rather, I'd think that reloading the OS is what would be required in order to do that.

No, wiping the phone will not do anything to your OS. It only get rid of any trace of you. To load a OS you have to root, different forum.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

Your good lol. All is fine. Back up what you want and wipe the phone. Not your SD unless your ready.

Lavitapostandroid

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
In my personal experience, The battery drain has been better. With light usage, I average 24 hours of battery usage, Comparatively, it has been much better on my device.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
In my personal experience, The battery drain has been better. With light usage, I average 24 hours of battery usage, Comparatively, it has been much better on my device.

I agree. Its slowly getting back to how it was on 2.3.6. I was irritated about it but, like I said its working itself out. I work outside all day and can't simply charge my phone. I do however have another battery from my other sg2 so if need be I swap it without thought.

Sent from The Dark Side

scottwood2

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have had so many issues. Seems like everyday I find something that I think is causing the problem but it still drains the battery. Yesterday I hardly used my phone at all but it was completely dead after about 8 hours of being in my pocket. I recharged it to about 14% to make a phone call and it was dead without using the phone in 10 minutes.

I did not do the reset like some are saying here. Does this fix it or are some also saying that the battery drain issue is coming back again?

I did order an extended battery last night. I have to do something. I just have had too many times that this phone has not been usable when I need it.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had so many issues. Seems like everyday I find something that I think is causing the problem but it still drains the battery. Yesterday I hardly used my phone at all but it was completely dead after about 8 hours of being in my pocket. I recharged it to about 14% to make a phone call and it was dead without using the phone in 10 minutes.

I did not do the reset like some are saying here. Does this fix it or are some also saying that the battery drain issue is coming back again?

I did order an extended battery last night. I have to do something. I just have had too many times that this phone has not been usable when I need it.

Nah for some reason wiping it is helping the battery issue. Just back up the important stuff and wipe it.

Sent from The Dark Side

robcassman

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have read elsewhere that a data wipe will NOT improve battery. I complained so much with AT&T that I receive another battery....same poor performance. I now have two crappy batteries. Between the two I barely get through one day...with minimal use. Now when I do a battery pull and put back in the same battery the battery % drops by about 20%!

scottwood2

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I received my extended battery yesterday and I charged it up last night. I was very happy today thinking that this problem is behind me. I just want to be able to use my phone during the day without recharging.

I have used my phone a little more than usual (Maybe 45 min. on time) after 6 hours of use the battery is now at 35%. The only other thing I can think of doing now is to root and I am not sure that this is going to fix this? I have had a lot of phones over the years. I want to like this phone but I am about ready to dump it for something else.

KRoberts

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I received my extended battery yesterday and I charged it up last night. I was very happy today thinking that this problem is behind me. I just want to be able to use my phone during the day without recharging.

I have used my phone a little more than usual (Maybe 45 min. on time) after 6 hours of use the battery is now at 35%. The only other thing I can think of doing now is to root and I am not sure that this is going to fix this? I have had a lot of phones over the years. I want to like this phone but I am about ready to dump it for something else.

Word to the wise. If your not sure why your rooting it, then you don't need to. Rooting isn't going to fix the battery. I'm thinkin its your phone itself.

Sent from The Dark Side