Hey guys what's up, I'm going to be heading to Europe very shortly, specifically Italy and Croatia. I want to bring my Galaxy S2 to use as a clock, alarm clock, camera and the occasional wi-fi browser. I'm on At&t and I was wondering if there would be any way to bring my phone without incurring any charges. So far I thought of putting it on airplane mode with wi-fi the whole time or simply taking out the sim card itself. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys so much!
    07-04-2012 10:58 PM
    You can turn data roaming off on the phone to prevent it from connecting to networks other than AT&T.

To do this
    1. Hit your Menu button select Settings
    2. Under Wireless & Network select More
    3. Select Mobile networks
    4. Make sure Data Roaming is unchecked.

The above steps are if you're on ICS. They moved things around a little so if you're still on Gingerbread it will be a slightly different path. But the Data Roaming option is still under Wireless & Network.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums
    07-05-2012 09:28 AM
    I didn't address voice. If you're concerned about voice calls too then the above will not be sufficient. My understanding is if anyone calls your AT&T phone you will be dinged international rates even if you do not answer & they leave you a voicemail.

If you typically receive a lot of calls then airplane mode might be the best bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums
    07-05-2012 09:33 AM
    A vote for taking out the SIM card. That way, there's no chance of AT&T dinging you for a gazillion bucks.
    07-06-2012 10:52 AM
    If you have had your phone for at least 90 days call AT&T to ask them to give you the unlock code. They will not hassle you & are required to give it to you after 90 days of phone ownership. You just need to know your IMEI# (How to Find the IMEI Number on a Mobile Phone: 14 steps - wikiHow).
    Once you get in country pick up a local SIM card that includes a data package. Many times you can find a decent deal in the airport. Pop the SIM in & you can use your apps, your gps, etc. without a problem. If you have Google Voice then you'll still be able to know who called you & you can chose to call them back with skype, grooveIP, google talk or whatever.
    I've done this successfully in both Ireland & just last month in the UK. The local SIM card only cost ~$30 for unlimited data, 3000 texts, & 300 calls
    07-07-2012 05:52 PM
    Unless you need to have your att # active while there, unlock it and buy a sim BEFORE leaving. I just got back from Europe and bought a sim from Maxroam prior to leaving. Worked a charm while in Europe. Didn't even worry about data or phone calls. Very handy and reliable.
    07-11-2012 11:19 PM