Weird Battery Issue....

dixieman0105

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I recently had to replace my S2 via ATT's insurance carrier, because I broke my last one. I had already upgraded my original phone to ICS and had no issues.

Once I got my new phone though, I've had some serious battery problems. It drains down 50% or more in just 4 or 5 hours, and that's with the screen off and the phone asleep. When I check the Battery tab in "Settings" I suddenly have "Android OS" as my biggest power consumer. I looked this up as a possible glitch and found that other people had been having the same issue. It's some type of loop with the WiFi constantly trying to connect and draining power. The fix that was recommended was to set the WiFi to be always on (to cancel out the loop), and then to use JuiceDefender or a similar app to actually keep the WiFi off unless I turned it on. I did that, and it kinda works, but the battery from time to time will still drain like crazy.

I haven't gotten any new apps, and I've checked and don't have any "ghost" apps running.

Does anyone have any idea how to better diagnose what is draining the power and how to fix it?

Would rooting and installing a ROM possibly take care of it, if it comes to that?

Thanks in advance.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar battery drain problem with a Samsung nexus s. In my case the battery would drain completely overnight even if the phone was turned off. It ended up being a hardware problem and Samsung replaced the motherboard. You should check if it drains the battery when turned off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

dixieman0105

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok I tried this, and it's not the issue. It didn't drop any battery percentage overnight while turned off and unplugged.

So, anyone have any ideas? My little temp fix only works some of the times, and I'd like to get this straightened out. I'm going to update all my apps to see if the last time I updated something might be draining.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Since I am now running ICS I forgot that the 2.3.6 ota ROM via AT&T has an issue with WiFi. Try turning off WiFi when not needed as see if that helps the battery life.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
With ICS, I leave the wi-fi Always On, but, Juice Defender seemed to mess it up and make it use for battery for me. so, I got rid of JD and my battery life is good now.

JD worked well with the prior os

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon