Difficulty freeing up storage space

Samsung2user

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I am currently having difficulty with not having enough storage space available on my Samasung Galaxy II device. In the storage folder the details are as follows:

Device memory
Total space: 1.97 GB
Applications: 463 MB
Available: 269 MB

USB Storage:
Total space: 11.50 GB
Applications: 196MB
etc.
Available: 9.72 GB

-First solution (suggested by a vodafone rep) was to delete all unnecessary apps. I deleted most of them, but it didn't make much difference.
-Second solution was to transfer my apps to SD card. I had done this previously with a few of my apps. I tried to do this again, but now when I tap transfer to SD card it says "Unable to move app. Not enough storage space" or the 'move to SD card' is greyed out and not an option to select even though this app was downloaded by me.
-Third solution was to delete all of my apps so that I then had enough space for download of a single app 'App2SD'. Downloaded successfully. It informs me that there are 3 apps available to move to SD card. Try to move them to SD card and it but says that there is not enough storage space.
-Fourth solution was to move all music, videos, pictures etc. to SD card. I did this and there is now less space available on the the SD card, but it made no difference to the internal storage space.

Is there anything else I can do? I was told that I could root my phone, wipe it and install a new ROM, but as it is a Vodafone phone and this will get rid of all Vodafone branding that I would then nullify the warranty. Thanks in advance.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I am currently having difficulty with not having enough storage space available on my Samasung Galaxy II device. In the storage folder the details are as follows:

Device memory
Total space: 1.97 GB
Applications: 463 MB
Available: 269 MB

USB Storage:
Total space: 11.50 GB
Applications: 196MB
etc.
Available: 9.72 GB

-First solution (suggested by a vodafone rep) was to delete all unnecessary apps. I deleted most of them, but it didn't make much difference.
-Second solution was to transfer my apps to SD card. I had done this previously with a few of my apps. I tried to do this again, but now when I tap transfer to SD card it says "Unable to move app. Not enough storage space" or the 'move to SD card' is greyed out and not an option to select even though this app was downloaded by me.
-Third solution was to delete all of my apps so that I then had enough space for download of a single app 'App2SD'. Downloaded successfully. It informs me that there are 3 apps available to move to SD card. Try to move them to SD card and it but says that there is not enough storage space.
-Fourth solution was to move all music, videos, pictures etc. to SD card. I did this and there is now less space available on the the SD card, but it made no difference to the internal storage space.

Is there anything else I can do? I was told that I could root my phone, wipe it and install a new ROM, but as it is a Vodafone phone and this will get rid of all Vodafone branding that I would then nullify the warranty. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums!
You can try clearing the cache in recovery. Here is how: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html
You can try doing a factory reset if the cache clear doesn't work. You will have to reinstall all apps, but your other files should be fine.

Stu40

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
You can free up heaps of storage space by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and select option 2 “Delete dumpstate/logcat” in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your phone either. I restored 1.4G of space on my Samsung Galaxy S2 doing this.

paulinsofia

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been hunting everywhere trying to delete pre installed apps in an attempt to resolve this exact query. This simple tip *#9900# and option 2, released 1.2gb instantly. Thankyou

Ashley Goodwins

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
You can free up heaps of storage space by deleting all the log files in the device memory. Just dial *#9900# on the phone and select option 2 “Delete dumpstate/logcat” in the prompted menu. It's not necessary to root your phone either. I restored 1.4G of space on my Samsung Galaxy S2 doing this.

I Tried this, but I keep getting an error for incorrect code. Any ideas? Thanks

Maya2

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I dialed *#9900# on my Galaxy Note2 and selected option 2 ?Delete dumpstate/logcat? in the prompted menu. But nothing happened. I am quiet frustrated as I also have the message Storage Space running out! I could not use my phone for the last 4 weeks as I cannot open my contacts. Samsung advised to reset the phone. Will I not lose my contacts etc. if I do so? Anybody who can help me???

dennisg51

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Having suffered this Samsung Galaxy GTI9100 - 'lack of memory', I was a little reluctant to rush into dialling *#9900#.

I went to samsung.com.au - and searched - ZERO info about memory loss on their website SO I opened a chat with Customer Service.
BINGO - the answer was to call *#9900# and take the second listed option " Delete dumpstate/logcat" DO NOT TAKE ANY OTHER OPTION - then scroll down and EXIT. If you have a Samsung Account it may not sync, I had to remove my account, then re-create it - then it sync'd immediately.

NOW extra advice from Samsung was to then - Turn off phone - take out battery for at least 20 seconds - re-instal battery and start phone Now when you go to Settings/Storage, your 1.97 gb of memory should be substantially free'd up (mine went from 635 mb free to 1.21gb:D

NOTE: Samsung advice was to only do this call when once again you get a lack of memory space message. Reason being that all these files that get deleted are used to help make your phone usage a little faster fro browsing and like functions.

The Samsung Support officer said the reason they kept the call *#9900# as private is because it is a very powerful tool and could stuff up your whole phone if you took the wrong action.... I still said to him why can't Samsung just hang out a thread on their website saying "lack of available memory on your phone - Call Us for Help, we can easily fix it!"

Anyway I hope the explanation above is of good advice/support for like users, Cheers Dennis

magdub33

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
great. *#9900# worked perfect. i had wasted many many hours in searching, rooting and deleting apps. This is the best and easy option.. Great Guyz who have posted this and thanks for the help.

i would also appreciate if someone can post how to install apps on external SD rather than device memory and move the apps to SD from device memory

Andrew Clarke2

Dec 29, 2014
Visit site
I dialed the number to free up storage space by deleting log files, but before I could reach the menu, I was given an error message: "Connection problem or invalid MMI code". I have a Nexus 4.

SharonArky

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I tried the *#9900# on my Samsung Epic 4G but didn't get the choices that you stated. My choices all start with "copy" and say they will be saved in the phone memory!! What do I do next?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae