GS3 Otterbox Defender Case Review-Extended

dwade62

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Got my Otterbox via FedEx today.

After putting it on the phone, it will be staying on the phone. The silicone is much firmer/thicker then on the previous phones I've had. The case itself looks great.

Otterbox did an outstanding job.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

After putting it on the phone, it will be staying on the phone. The silicone is much firmer/thicker then on the previous phones I've had. The case itself looks great.

I think that OB did a better job on the Defender silicone layer than on the Commuter. The play in the power button and the volume rocker is much better on the Defender.

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Now that the case has been available for a while, how are the port covers holding up? I was not happy with the iPhone 4 otterbox. Could not get the flaps to stay closed.

I am using the Seidio Convert/Surface combo and the port covers are about perfect. Really love my case, but the lack of a built in screen protector is an issue.
Thinking of making a switch, unless someone can recommend a better screen protector that covers more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the first on the forums to get the case...So far they are GREAT! And I use the USB port all the time during the day/night time to charge. You got nothing to worry about!

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Does the thicker screen protection cause any kind of problems when using the touchscreen, like some commands that arent recognized or something?

Cheers

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Now that the case has been available for a while, how are the port covers holding up? I was not happy with the iPhone 4 otterbox. Could not get the flaps to stay closed.

I am using the Seidio Convert/Surface combo and the port covers are about perfect. Really love my case, but the lack of a built in screen protector is an issue.
Thinking of making a switch, unless someone can recommend a better screen protector that covers more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

The flaps work well in providing protection against lint and dust. The built-in screen protector while not HD quality is more than sufficient in terms of coverage. Please check out the posted in this forum thread. Even though it might be while before a Zagg HD screen protector discolors or peels, I prefer the non-adhesive one more.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The only gesture that does not work correcting in my day to day use is taking screen shots with the wave of your hand. Any case will have this issue though. So I just use the button combos instead. Otherwise the touch screen works without an issue!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The only gesture that does not work correcting in my day to day use is taking screen shots with the wave of your hand. Any case will have this issue though. So I just use the button combos instead. Otherwise the touch screen works without an issue!

It works just fine. You need to press the edge of your hand on the right lip making contact with screen swiping right to left.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Are there any other good options like this otterbox defender case? I cant seem to find it in my country...
cheers

Ballistic Maxx case is a good one. Seidio Active case as well. Did you try Shop Android on this site for the Defender?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Ballistic MAXX is junk stay away from that case. Have you checked out the Phantom Case by Case-mate? Another Otterbox like case! You can buy this one Amazon as well.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Ballistic MAXX is junk stay away from that case. Have you checked out the Phantom Case by Case-mate? Another Otterbox like case! You can buy this one Amazon as well.

Thanks for the tip.
What about the Commuter, from Otterbox, anyone tried it yet? I read some buyers reviews that said that the screen protection that comes with the the Defender from Otterbox sucks. They say it makes the beautifull 4.8?? screen look terrible and that they took it off and decided to use another one. Is this true?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The Commuter screen protector is an adhesive one versus the Defender which is not. I chose not to use the screen protector but I did use the Defender one and while it is not HD quality, it is just fine. It does not make the screen look horrible. With adhesive screens, they eventually peel up and/or discolor, granted it will take some time. Some may take longer than others but I wouldn't want to have to change them.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tip.
What about the Commuter, from Otterbox, anyone tried it yet? I read some buyers reviews that said that the screen protection that comes with the the Defender from Otterbox sucks. They say it makes the beautifull 4.8?? screen look terrible and that they took it off and decided to use another one. Is this true?

Hey I have an extra commuter case laying around if you wanna try it. I haven't even open it yet. In box me maybe we can work something out for cheap! I didn't care for the one I used It was to much of a pain in the ass to take off and on. Some people however loved it!

The Defender is the way to go IMO. Over all better built quality and just a lot easier to take a part!

Good luck getting that perfect case! Just keep looking and you will find it I am sure!

Farewell...

SuperTone

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
the OB Defender is a great case. It's like a tank, I don't have to worry about dropping my phone and the screen protector is great. only one grip though, when sitting in the car you have to make sure it's not slid to far back or you may run the chase of popping the belt clip off.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Take the holster and phone off when in the car. I am having to get a new holster as the part that enables the kickstand broke. OB is replacing the holster at no charge without np questions asked.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital