reasons to root your S3

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie when it comes to this, so please pardon if I may sound stupid :)

I would root my s3 probably if I want to make it run faster or to uber customize it. These are not enough reasons for me now. I was just wondering what your reasons are to root it. Since the s3 is fast and I'm not at all bothered with samsung's version of android.

Thanks! :)

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: b0btech

b0btech

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I would think not much at this point.maybe battery life and all apps can be opened to full potential. oh, and any Rom can be put in it.

from MY SIII in sunny FL.

916x10

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie when it comes to this, so please pardon if I may sound stupid :)

I would root my s3 probably if I want to make it run faster or to uber customize it. These are not enough reasons for me now. I was just wondering what your reasons are to root it. Since the s3 is fast and I'm not at all bothered with samsung's version of android.

Thanks! :)

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2
I rooted so I could get rid of bloatware, flash roms, flash themes, flash mods and to run certain apps that require root access.

Scythe55

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to mess with mine, but I may very well do it solely to get rid of the ATT crapware they put on the phone. At the least, they should make it removable.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same thing but if you find the right rom things can be perfect

Things I now have because of root

-more speed
-less bloatware (more memory)
-better battery life
-cool boot animation
-nice theme over the ugly touch wiz theme.
-transparent notification bar
-Google now
-volume rocker takes pics
-when the screen is off I can hold volume up to skip the track and down to go back.
-I can add widgets to the screen from the app drawer
-I can back up my phone and all my apps data.
-record phone calls
-WiFi tether
-silenced the camera

I have all this and I am a noob to android coming from webOS as well. Trust me you'll love your rooted phone. It opens a whole new new world

mbeez

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
how did you get google now without upgrading to jellybean? also, is there a way to upgrade to the official jellybean on the galaxy s3 AT&T? I want to use the official vanilla version of jellybean rather than samsungs version or a custom mod like CM10...is that possible?

Roca68

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I thought the same thing but if you find the right rom things can be perfect

Things I now have because of root

-more speed
-less bloatware (more memory)
-better battery life
-cool boot animation
-nice theme over the ugly touch wiz theme.
-transparent notification bar
-Google now
-volume rocker takes pics
-when the screen is off I can hold volume up to skip the track and down to go back.
-I can add widgets to the screen from the app drawer
-I can back up my phone and all my apps data.
-record phone calls
-WiFi tether
-silenced the camera

I have all this and I am a noob to android coming from webOS as well. Trust me you'll love your rooted phone. It opens a whole new new world

Which rom did you use for all of these awesome features?

Trigger73

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Reason why I root is ditching the adds and bloatware and now I'm getting into Roms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jdogg231852

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
im trying to root my verizon gs3 and im trying to find out the best way to do it and im new at it but i would like to root my phone to do more on it

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
- If you are on a Mac, the Android file Transfer app works flawlessly with CM10.
- Speed, before rooting and installing CM10, my international S3 scored 1530 on Geekbench now it scores a little over 1800.
- Google Now along with all the new Jelly Bean stuff.
- Can install and use awesome apps like Titanium Backup.
- Long press on the home button brings up the multitasking much faster than before.
- Get rid of all the carrier bloatware.
- Etc.

carlosrey23

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Not warranty, the insurance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Rooting VOIDS warranty, plain and simple.

Take notice that new phones (GS# included) have a flash counter...if you trip this you may void warranty from AT&T and Samsung.

If you plan on rooting:
  1. Make sure you do so in a manner that does not trip the counter.
  • Research ROMS, as many are in beta or DEV modes..so functionality may not be optimal, or work all together.
  • Have a real need/or reason to do it, you may regret it

Ok disclaimer on #3....most of the time you wont regret it....but if the phone is performing as you want/need it to why risk warranty. If you want to do it just to learn, then by all means do it....if you need something specific like wifi tethering, then do it....but if you just want to bcs you have nothing better to do...again weigh the risk of bricking the phone and voiding warranty.

I have yet to root the SG3, but every other Android that I have had has been rooted.

Just a few things to consider....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz