How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Quick question I had nandroids of different ROMs on my external SD card when I went back to stock, updated via kies to jellybean and re-rooted. If I wanted to use those nandroids would they work or could they have been corrupted and I should get rid of them

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

They will work fine as long as you are using the same recovery that made them. Backups made with CWM will not be able to be restored with TWRP.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to root (steps 1-8) without flashing the recovery rom? Or will that muck things up?

Bob

No it's not. You have to have custom recovery to flash the Team Epic Root From Recovery zip file.

However, I can probably edit the zip file so during the 2nd reboot of your phone, stock recovery will be rewritten to your phone. But that will have to wait until I get off work to do it and test it.

If I can't get it to work. I will try and find the stock recovery zip that you can flash that will restore your factory recovery.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
No worries. It was asked to me and I didn't know the answer. Thanks for the info.

Bob

There are also other root methods that flash a rooted stock images to your phone that won't change your recovery. However you will have to find one that has been updated to jelly bean our you will go back to the version that the image was made from. If it is a stock tar, you should be able to still update it issuing an app called rootkeeper. It enables you to save your root so if you lose root during the update, it can restore it with a simple tap of your finger.

rborelli

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll let him know. I like CM10 myself. He was worried about the whole AT&T warranty thing. I showed him Triangle away and the unrooting link but I think the whole thing scares him.

Bob

Tatonks1013

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
skunkape thanks for the instructions to root. I did it before 4.1 came out for att. Then I went back to stock. Now I see there is a cm10.1 out for the gs3. will the same instructions work for rooting the phone for 4.2? also have you tried 4.2 for gs3? and how is it cause i want to use it for the gs3

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
skunkape thanks for the instructions to root. I did it before 4.1 came out for att. Then I went back to stock. Now I see there is a cm10.1 out for the gs3. will the same instructions work for rooting the phone for 4.2? also have you tried 4.2 for gs3? and how is it cause i want to use it for the gs3

Haven't used 4.2. Not very fond of cm anyway. Very boring if you ask me. This guide should work fine on any current version out at this point in time. I don't see this not working in any future version either.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
is there something other than cm and stock? THanks

Cm and stock based yes. That's all there will probably ever be. Some of the stock based are very customized. Wicked sensations is a very customizable Rom. But all roms are based off either stock or aosp (cm). Aosp (cm) strip all added functions from the gs3. While stock based provide a customizations while preserving the gs3's functionality.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Slightly off topic...but I noticed http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...print-android-central-rom-kernel-library.html Is there a non-carrier specific library somewhere that I'm missing? I have a i747 (Bell Mobility) and was wondering what else was out there besides Paranoid Android.

No there isn't. You want them separated because flashing a Rom built for a different carrier results in a guaranteed brick. If they were combined, I guarantee that there would be more bricks than they are now. Why do you think every reputable android site divides the gs3 forums by carrier? The answer is simple. They want to minimize risks.

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok well too bad...might have to start a new thread and see what I can come up with then. I figured as much with regards to flashing a different carrier's ROM, just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've tried this a few times with my AT&T S3, model SGH-1747 running 4.0.4. I am never able to get Odin to complete. I get a "FAIL!" message with the following in the message box:
  • <ID:0/005> File analysis..
  • <ID:0/005> Setup connection..
  • <ID:0/005> Initialization..
  • <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
  • <ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
  • <OSM> All threads completed. (success 0 / failed 1)

Can guidance be provided in resolving this issue? Do I need to download drivers? If so, Samsung had 3 selections for my model:
  1. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747MBNATT
  2. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747RWBATT
  3. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747ZRBATT

How do I know which one model to select? The serial number on the back of the phone has "MB" several spaces after the initial number, so would that indicate the first one above?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be rendered.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I've tried this a few times with my AT&T S3, model SGH-1747 running 4.0.4. I am never able to get Odin to complete. I get a "FAIL!" message with the following in the message box:
  • <ID:0/005> File analysis..
  • <ID:0/005> Setup connection..
  • <ID:0/005> Initialization..
  • <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
  • <ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
  • <OSM> All threads completed. (success 0 / failed 1)

Can guidance be provided in resolving this issue? Do I need to download drivers? If so, Samsung had 3 selections for my model:
  1. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747MBNATT
  2. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747RWBATT
  3. SGH-1747 | SGH-1747ZRBATT

How do I know which one model to select? The serial number on the back of the phone has "MB" several spaces after the initial number, so would that indicate the first one above?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be rendered.

The one in the kit should work. But if it isn't working then you should give it a try with different set of drivers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85