How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. For some reason I can't see my phone when I press on the pda button on odin. I don't know what to do now. I'm afraid of loosing everything if I disconnect the usb plug. What do you recommend?

In odin you're looking for recovery.tar.md5 on your computer.

JONKYT

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My mistake. Thanks for the quick responses. You are a great asset to the android community. My phone has been rooted. Is there a thread where it lists must haves for rooted GS3's? I like playing games on mine and this is one reason I wanted to root my phone. Thanks again this is awesome.

JONKYT

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone have any tips on overclocking my phone's cpu? I have just rooted the phone and cleaned up some of the apps that at&t had installed on it. I haven't messed with any of the samsung files or camera. I was reading about using different programs to overclock the cpu for better performance but some say that I have to download specific kernels that allow for overclocking.

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Just used a friend's computer, worked like a charm. Thanks for the guide!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

orangesoda06

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I used this method to root my SGH-I747 (thx for the write-up btw), but I'm now running into some difficulties with Rom Manager. It claims that I do not have cwm installed, and when I select the option to DL/install the latest version, it freezes up and never completes. Is the recovery file used here incompatible with Rom Manager?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I used this method to root my SGH-I747 (thx for the write-up btw), but I'm now running into some difficulties with Rom Manager. It claims that I do not have cwm installed, and when I select the option to DL/install the latest version, it freezes up and never completes. Is the recovery file used here incompatible with Rom Manager?

At the time I posted this guide this was the most recent CWM and was pull directly from the cwm website. I went online to today and got this version but haven't posted it to this guide yet. Again this version was downloaded directly from their website and as of this morning is the most current version. See below for the link and directions for installing it.

These directions are ONLY for those that already have root and recovery and just wish to update their cwm to the most recent version.

Download this to a folder on your desktop. Open odin and leave all the default checks alone. Put a check in the pda block, click the pda button and browse to the file you downloaded. put your phone in download mode and connect it to your computer with the usb cord. Make sure odin see's your phone by indicating com and any number in the com id block. hit start. When it reboots you can unplug the phone.

CWM Version 6.0.2.3 Touch

As for rom manager, I don't recommend it. You need to learn to do everything from recovery. I feel people should learn the correct way. Everything rom manager does, you can do on your own in recovery. By using Rom Manager you will not learn anything and when things go wrong (which they will) you will be unprepared to deal with it.

orangesoda06

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. I was able to resolve the issue I was having. The problem was that RM was not asking for root and thus couldn't do anything. After searching through a number of forums I found out that this was being caused by an extra .img file kicking around in my CWM folder. Upon deleting the file, RM asked for root and functioned correctly. I generally intend to flash roms manually, I just like being able to update my CWM to the latest version without a hassle. Your right about CM being boring, thing doesn't even have app folders.

JONKYT

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have downloaded the new update to CWM. After rebooting, the phone would not be recognized by the PC when I plugged it in. I opened Kies and pressed on the troubleshoot connection and it re installed the driver for the phone. Should I save things on the phone before updating with odin? I have installed titanium backup pro and superuser elite. Do I use titanium to back up or do I do this under recovery? I am trying to install Set CPU but I have read that I need to install a kernel that supports overclocking. The only one I've found is KT747 from the xda site but it says to back up. Thanks for your advice.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have downloaded the new update to CWM. After rebooting, the phone would not be recognized by the PC when I plugged it in. I opened Kies and pressed on the troubleshoot connection and it re installed the driver for the phone. Should I save things on the phone before updating with odin? I have installed titanium backup pro and superuser elite. Do I use titanium to back up or do I do this under recovery? I am trying to install Set CPU but I have read that I need to install a kernel that supports overclocking. The only one I've found is KT747 from the xda site but it says to back up. Thanks for your advice.

I would always do a nandroid before flashing a rom or kernel. Especially the first time trying it.

Windows has screwed up my drivers several times. Windows updates often updates the usb drivers causing issues with your phone being recognized. I have disabled Windows from automatically updating my drivers and haven't had that issue since.

JONKYT

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Got it thanks. Now with the CWM update when I hit start on odin after it finished it displayed Reset in blue where the Green Pass was showing when I first rooted the phone. Should I try to flash the update again or is it okay?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Got it thanks. Now with the CWM update when I hit start on odin after it finished it displayed Reset in blue where the Green Pass was showing when I first rooted the phone. Should I try to flash the update again or is it okay?

Should be fine. It sometimes shows reset and sometimes passed. If your phone didn't restart on it's own. Unplug it from your computer and pull the battery to get it out of download mode out just hold the power button until it restarts.

Boot into recovery and see what version you are now on. It should be 6.0.2.3.

Adrian Adler

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
hello, im trying this method on my phone but when i press start on odin it gets stuck at "setupconnection" then says cant open the serial(COM) port. any insight? thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc