How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm completely new to this so I apologize if these are things most people already know the answers to. 1. Does this method clear my phone of everything? Or will my apps, contacts, etc still be there? 2. What exactly does the custom recovery do?

If you do it correctly your apps and data should remain intact. Custom recovery replaces stock recovery. It has many more options such as the ability to flash (install) custom features and roms and make backups of your system. Stock recovery is limited to doing a factory reset and flashing official ota updates.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Now that my phone is back to normal, thanks to your guide, i may just give your guide to rooting a try. I want to alter the notification settings, to include a sound for "sent mail", aka the swoosh sound like on my wife's iPhone. I would also like to add a stable rom with 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. If this is possible, please let me know. Thanks.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Now that my phone is back to normal, thanks to your guide, i may just give your guide to rooting a try. I want to alter the notification settings, to include a sound for "sent mail", aka the swoosh sound like on my wife's iPhone. I would also like to add a stable rom with 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. If this is possible, please let me know. Thanks.

Sounds very possible but you could do that on a stock phone as well. I can't recommend a ROM for you though, as I don't have the AT&T phone so I haven't tried any of the ROMs.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sounds very possible but you could do that on a stock phone as well. I can't recommend a ROM for you though, as I don't have the AT&T phone so I haven't tried any of the ROMs.

I tried GoSMS, and it had that sound, but it kept crashing the phone. I really like the stock notifications, i just want to alter them a little. Is there a way to add that sound into the phone, without rooting? I already have it downloaded into my notification sounds, but haven't got the place to put it. There is no category for "sent mail" or "outgoing mail". I would appreciate your help with this. Thanks.:)

pilsbury

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This was a life saver, thank you sir. I inadvertantly unzipped the team epic root file. Had to remove my SD card and put the unzipped file on the card via my laptop, then reinsert it, boot into recovery and install. Got hairy for a minute, but thanks to your instructions all went well. kudos to you!!!!

Just got this S3 tonight, too lazy to change my signature yet.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
@Skunkape60....Thanks for your rooting guide. Finally got rooted, with no problems. I noticed that Titanium Backup defaults to the internal sd card. Would it be advisible to switch it to the ext sd, just to have more room on the phone? Thanks again for all your help.:)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
@Skunkape60....Thanks for your rooting guide. Finally got rooted, with no problems. I noticed that Titanium Backup defaults to the internal sd card. Would it be advisible to switch it to the ext sd, just to have more room on the phone? Thanks again for all your help.:)

Yes... I default mine to external. Just remember. If you have to reinstall titanium you will have to set it back up to your external. I have seen guys spaz out thinking they lost their backups.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes... I default mine to external. Just remember. If you have to reinstall titanium you will have to set it back up to your external. I have seen guys spaz out thinking they lost their backups.

You don't know how long it took me to click on the "start" button, in Odin.LOL It's all good now. I've downloaded ParanoidKangDroid, and Gapps to my downloads folder, and will put them on my ext sd card, then flash and see what happens. I have GooManager instead of Rom Manager, but I think that's ok. After the root, I still had Google Play, so I was wondering if I really need Gapps, but I downloaded it anyway. Once again, thank you.

4n6science

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I've read through your instructions and the whole thread. This method looks pretty simple and I have some experience with rooting/flashing ROMs with the original Samsung Galaxy. I have a couple questions that have not been addressed in the thread. Should I take out my sim card prior to using ODIN and should I uninstall Kies from my computer?

Thanks!

Skunkape,

I must admit that the link for the .tar file was not working earlier so I tried another method on xda to root my ATT Samsung SGS3. Everything went well during the process but when I flashed the teamepic zip file i was not initally granted superuser access. My phone would turn on properly but after about 2 minutes i would have to reboot. I kept rebooting over and over finally had to run the zip file that undid the root process. All in all I lost all my apps but kept all my data on my phone. RIght now as it stands, I have CWM as my recovery but am not rooted. (it took me a few hours to get my phone back to normal). My question to you is, can I flash the .tar file you provided through odin even though my phone has CWM already? IF so, then can I flash the team epic.zip to root my phone?

Thanks again in advance.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Having Kies on your PC will make no difference, as long as it's not running.

I've never tried to flash the team epic zip from CWM, but don't see any reason why it shouldn'tt work.

vaibala

May 22, 2013
Visit site
This is awesome...!!! It took less than 15 mins for me... Initially I tried to root with incorrect version (international version) which left my phone (US version of ATT. SGH-I747) with constant error message "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. -Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again" and the phone was stuck on the screen. I followed the guide which recovered the phone and now it is properly rooted... Thank you so much for such simple yet effective and detailed explanation...! I really appreciate the efforts!:cool:

Galaxy Class

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to Root The AT&T Galaxy S3 (From The Sprint Forums)

Hi Skunk, so I followed the instructions here for my AT&T SGIII I747 phone. I did the same screw up as some of the other posters did and accidentally used Odin to install a JellyBean 4.2.2 but was meant for the I9300 version. I followed the steps above and received the noted results you indicated we should be getting if we did it successfully. But now I just get the SAMSUNG logo and it just powers back down. Some combination of keys and I see the battery symbol but again it just powers down. Any ideas what's going on now? Should I try this process again?

Update from original post I created: I never did fix the issue that I wrote about above but instead I went back into recovery mode and followed the instructions from this website which gave me JellyBean 4.2.2. Update AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 with CM10.1 M3 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Custom Firmware | Android Suckers I had the benefit of using my wife's S3 to copy the two files it has us download to my Micro SD Card. Read the instructions all the way thru, then do them step by step and it works great.

Last edited:

syderena

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm new to all of this and wanted to know what can you do after you root your phone? What do you gain or the pros and cons? Thanks

grenefroggie

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm new to all of this and wanted to know what can you do after you root your phone? What do you gain or the pros and cons? Thanks

There are many advantages to rooting your device, but ultimately it depends on the type of user you are.

Once you root you device, you have more control over it. This is a blessing and a curse. If you aren't careful and don't pay attention it could cause you to pull some hair out, or in the worst case you could turn your device in to a nice paperweight.

One of the best reasons I can think if to root your device is to freeze bloatware. These are apps that either the carrier or the manufacturer put on the device that you can't typically remove. You can freeze them to prevent them from sucking up valuable resources on your device. You can also perform a more comprehensive backup of your apps.

Rooting your device opens up tons of possibilities.

scrondar

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to the OP for this guide. Worked like a charm on my AT&T refurb that just went out of warranty. So, I'm on my own now :D Used App Quarantine from the Play Store to freeze several apps I'll never use.

Guess the next thing to do is find a ROM that's free of all the AT&T and Samsung bloat I froze, but still has the best features of the phone intact. Any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12