Root my S3 from my macbook

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I want to root my S3 but have not been able to find how to from my macbook, i know its been covered i just cant find where.
i want to root mainly for jellybean but there are also a few other things i want to root for because they are not available on AT&T:
Google Wallet
Beats installer(to hopefully make my listening experience better)
and a few others i cannot think of right now

So i would appreciate any response that can lead me in the right direction to rooting my phone on my macbook, and opinions on the apps i need a root to install
also what is the best jellybean rom and why

Thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You will have to use a program call heimdall. It basically replaces Odin and runs on Mac.

Other than that I don't know much more about it. It may just be a lot easier finding a friend with a Windows machine.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
ok thanks man, ill try that out. i have been looking but havent found anyone who has a windows pc around me that knows how to do it or will let me use their computer for rooting.

so once i get heimdall it it mostly similar to ODIN, as in the overall process?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
ok thanks man, ill try that out. i have been looking but havent found anyone who has a windows pc around me that knows how to do it or will let me use their computer for rooting.

so once i get heimdall it it mostly similar to ODIN, as in the overall process?

I really don't know. I have never had to worry about it. So I never looked into it.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
thank you kindly, now how do i add google wallet? do i just follow the thread about changing the phone info to Nexus so it will allow u to use it?
and wheres a good place to get a stable JB rom

Something Creative

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about google wallet, sorry. As far as stable JB roms, I think CM10 is very stable now. I was using it yesterday and today and it ran fine except wasn't playing nice with Nova launcher and destroying my battery (10%+/hr with VERY light usage). Other than that it was extremely stable. A friend had the same problem but after uninstalling Nova and moving to Apex he is loving it. Getting great speed and his battery is fine. I've heard the 10/14 nightly was the best out of the last few, but take that with a grain of salt as different people will have different opinions.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
how long should it take once the phone restarts to the cm10 boot screen? cause i left it for like 20mins and it just kept staying on the boot screen

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
maybe i did something wrong but CM10 is worse than stock ICS with nova launcher, no play store, no google now, none of my apps except superuser and clockwork, and it damaged my 64gb sd

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

Something Creative

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Which version did you download? I don't know anything about today's nightly as I uninstalled this morning. Yesterday's worked fine except the nova launcher part as it drains battery. Apex works fine with it. The play store and everything should be in the apps section. It won't be on screen as soon as it loads uio because you need to determine what you want on each homescreen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
maybe i did something wrong but CM10 is worse than stock ICS with nova launcher, no play store, no google now, none of my apps except superuser and clockwork, and it damaged my 64gb sd

Yes you flashed it wrong. Anytime to install a cm or aosp room you must also flash gapps.

To use cm here's how you need to flash it.
1. Download the ROM and gapps to your phone.
2. Boot into recovery. Wipe cache, dalvik, and factory reset.
3. Flash ROM then immediately flash gapps.
4. Restart and enjoy.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
i downloaded todays nightly at like 2pm and i had no apps or any way to download, and i learned the hard way not to back up my pics through kies air b4 or just remove my sd next time, :banghead:

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes you flashed it wrong. Anytime to install a cm or aosp room you must also flash gapps.

To use cm here's how you need to flash it.
1. Download the ROM and gapps to your phone.
2. Boot into recovery. Wipe cache, dalvik, and factory reset.
3. Flash ROM then immediately flash gapps.
4. Restart and enjoy.

would not flashing Gapps immediately after damage my sd?
also u are saying once it flashes the rom boot back into recovery to flash gapps?

Something Creative

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Looks good, but i have some questions. Does the phone have to be locked? What happens when JB comes out? Can i use any rom, or just cm10? Thanks for your patience, as i've never rooted before.:confused:
P.S. How would i unroot, if i need to take phone to AT&T? Thanks again.

What do you mean by locked? When jb actually comes out you would need to do a restore to get back to stock and then the update would give you jb. You would then have to root it again. Not sure about un rooting so you'll have to search a bit, but I'm guessing you could just back up your apps and stuff with titanium backup or something and then just reset it. That's just an offhand guess so you'll have to look though.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by locked? When jb actually comes out you would need to do a restore to get back to stock and then the update would give you jb. You would then have to root it again. Not sure about un rooting so you'll have to search a bit, but I'm guessing you could just back up your apps and stuff with titanium backup or something and then just reset it. That's just an offhand guess so you'll have to look though.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't think that this phone will ever get key lime pie, probably jb and that's it, so i think that i'll wait for jb, and then root. It's going to give me more time to read up on all this stuff. Thanks, again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude