Does flashing a custom CM10 rom remove kies air, all share, Wifi Direct, etc??

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I was watching a video and it says that it will remove:
- Kies Air
- All Share
- WiFi Direct

Is this true? Also is there a way to get them back??

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I was watching a video and it says that it will remove:
- Kies Air
- All Share
- WiFi Direct

Is this true? Also is there a way to get them back??

Yes, flashing a cm or aosp rom will remove all of the touchwiz and Samsung features. Everything you mention and more will be stripped from your phone.

There is no way to get the features back as long as you're on the cm rom. The only way to get them back would be to go back to a touchwiz rom.

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Really? well that's a kill for me... Looks like I'll stick with Stock

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!

Most of the baked in Samsung features is what keeps me on their ROM as well. They really do have some nice things on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Plus there really is no benefit to running cm or aosp roms on this phone. You lose functionality but gain nothing.

I have noticed that as well. Sure it is the latest build, but there is too much lost in functionality. IMHO

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Plus there really is no benefit to running cm or aosp roms on this phone. You lose functionality but gain nothing.

The only thing gained is some customization. I know this one is just my preference, but I like the clock in the middle of the status bar..... I know stupid right? Also, it is a quicker way to jb.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So glad I found this thread, I was about to try to flash a ROM to get JB. I may still root so I can maintain my app data. thanks

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
The only thing gained is some customization. I know this one is just my preference, but I like the clock in the middle of the status bar..... I know stupid right? Also, it is a quicker way to jb.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

I am running a custom tw rom that has the clock in the center. It doesn't take CM10 to do that. Lol

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am running a custom tw rom that has the clock in the center. It doesn't take CM10 to do that. Lol
So, Mr. Skunkape60, hello again ;) , still reading-up on all this before jumping in. So, in your expert opinion, which ROM would be one of the most TouchWiz-zy ROMs, for those of us who might like to try rooting (per you excellent guides & tutorials), but who are currently enjoying ICS 4.0 TouchWiz and pretty content with ICS & TouchWiz ? but just not too happy about all the samsung crapware ? and who (in my case) would prefer keeping the notification drop-down toolbar & brightness slider just the way it presently is?
Thanks. ;-)

Last edited:

daflake

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Can't speak for skunk, but I have found that running CM10 with Nova is pretty sweet.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
So, Mr. Skunkape60, hello again ;) , still reading-up on all this before jumping in. So, in your expert opinion, which ROM would be one of the most TouchWiz-zy ROMs, for those of us who might like to try rooting (per you excellent guides & tutorials), but who are currently enjoying ICS 4.0 TouchWiz and pretty content with ICS & TouchWiz ? but just not too happy about all the samsung crapware ? and who (in my case) would prefer keeping the notification drop-down toolbar & brightness slider just the way it presently is?
Thanks. ;-)

ROMs are personal choices. They all vary so much in how how well they work and what type of bugs there are. For that reason, I will not recommend any rom that I have not flashed and tested. Being that I have a Sprint Phone and have never flashed or tested the AT&T roms, I really can't recommend anything to you guys.

Sorry...

As far as the Samsung Crapware (as you call it) most of it is better than what your likely to find on the playstore. But either way, you are rooted and it's a pretty simple task to remove any or all of it. I just find CM old and boring. They have not produced anything new in over a year. All of the features in on the GS3 CM10 rom were available on my Nexus S4G a year ago. The last thing I want to do is turn my snazzy GS3 into my 2 year old Nexus S.

Last edited:

jagsta21

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. ;-)
what rom would you rocomend for att with touchwiz im new to all of this

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
ROMs are personal choices. They all vary so much in how how well they work and what type of bugs there are. For that reason, I will not recommend any rom that I have not flashed and tested. Being that I have a Sprint Phone and have never flashed or tested the AT&T roms, I really can't recommend anything to you guys.

Sorry... ~
Thanks. I only asked because I thought I had read somewhere, where you were referencing what I thought was a TouchWiz rom. e.g.- like 5 posts above (post #11), where you said: "I am running a custom tw rom ~". Therefore, I thought, or maybe wrongly assumed, that you might have an opinion on TouchWiz-like roms, for those of us who are pretty happy with TouchWiz . .but who may like to try-out some alternative?and again pls pardon my ignorance in this parlance?touchwiz-zy-like roms. But understand what you're saying about the different carriers. ;-)

Regarding the crapware . . I guess I was thinking more of the AT&T crapware, than the samsung, but mostly just all the bloatware apps and/or apps that hold no interest for many user's who either don't use them and therefore, instead of simply disabling, would just as soon prefer to delete them. That's all.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I only asked because I thought I had read somewhere, where you were referencing what I thought was a TouchWiz rom. e.g.- like 5 posts above (post #11), where you said: "I am running a custom tw rom ~". Therefore, I thought, or maybe wrongly assumed, that you might have an opinion on TouchWiz-like roms, for those of us who are pretty happy with TouchWiz . .but who may like to try-out some alternative?and again pls pardon my ignorance in this parlance?touchwiz-zy-like roms. But understand what you're saying about the different carriers. ;-)

Regarding the crapware . . I guess I was thinking more of the AT&T crapware, than the samsung, but mostly just all the bloatware apps and/or apps that hold no interest for many user's who either don't use them and therefore, instead of simply disabling, would just as soon prefer to delete them. That's all.

Touch wiz roms are just as fast and smooth as any cm or AOSP rom. Which are very plain, boring and pretty much unchanged in over a year.

I have a tw rom on my phone but use nova as a launcher. However all the cool features I still have. AllShare and SBeam my daughter and I use a lot. Now I kind of agree with you on all the silly motion stuff.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again. Skunkape60. Hope You & Yours had a very nice Thanksgiving Day, and are having a nice weekend.

So where, if you might be able to suggest, would AT&T'ers like smoothy and the rest of us pre-rooter's . . . start looking for a good 'fast & smooth' tw rom, that say, retains most of the neat and popular and useful things about samsung TouchWiz UI . . in a custom tw rom? I guess what I should've asked a few posts back: . . is there anything like a list of tw roms, that you're aware of, where perhaps roms are rated & reviewed, other than mainly over on xda?
Or is xda, as well as some threads here, still the best source for getting an idea of what roms we pre-rooter's might like to try, in your opinion?

With that discombobulated round of questions :-[ lol , I'll try to cease & desist bothering you with more dumb questions until I'm ready to root, and/or after I've done some more xda reading. ;)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again. Skunkape60. Hope You & Yours had a very nice Thanksgiving Day, and are having a nice weekend.

So where, if you might be able to suggest, would AT&T'ers like smoothy and the rest of us pre-rooter's . . . start looking for a good 'fast & smooth' tw rom, that say, retains most of the neat and popular and useful things about samsung TouchWiz UI . . in a custom tw rom? I guess what I should've asked a few posts back: . . is there anything like a list of tw roms, that you're aware of, where perhaps roms are rated & reviewed, other than mainly over on xda?
Or is xda, as well as some threads here, still the best source for getting an idea of what roms we pre-rooter's might like to try, in your opinion?

With that discombobulated round of questions :-[ lol , I'll try to cease & desist bothering you with more dumb questions until I'm ready to root, and/or after I've done some more xda reading. ;)

I actually made a rom and kernel database with links for the Sprint version.
I almost picked up a at&t version today at&t best buy for the soul purpose of getting more involved with the at&t forums.

While the cost of the phone was easily done. The cheapest plan was cost prohibited and couldn't be justified. Being a single income, single dad my wallet is already stretched pretty thin.

If I would have been able to get the AT&T GS3 the 1st roms I would have tried would have been.

[ROM][JB]BlackJelly V 0.9.2 LJA - 11/14/12

{ROM} - SERENITY 1.2 - AT&T GNote II Port

{rom}{jb}{ck23} mark of the dragon 3.0

Last edited:

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I actually made a rom and kernel database with links for the Sprint version.
I almost picked up a at&t version today at&t best buy for the soul purpose of getting more involved with the at&t forums.

While the cost of the phone was easily done. The cheapest plan was cost prohibited and couldn't be justified. Being a single income, single dad my wallet is already stretched pretty thin.

If I would have been able to get the AT&T GS3 the 1st roms I would have tried would have been.
Thanks again, Skunkape60. I'll go have a look-see. ;) Personally, I should probably root sooner rather than later?as the longer I stay stock?the more content I am to just stay stock.
Btw, how common are LTE toggles in custom roms? After reading of many suspected LTE related battery drain problems . . that's may be one of my main reasons for rooting, methinks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke