Question on Rooting and Installing CyanogenMod

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please tell me what the best and easiest way to root my phone is? I'm wanting to install CyanogenMod, and I've not found out a simple way to root. Also, once I install CyanogenMod, will I loose all of my settings, apps, and text messages? Or is there a way to back them up?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If the root threads in this forum seem a little daunting try the toolkit. Its a little more user friendly to say the least. Be sure to pick the correct model number for your phone (the AT&T Galaxy S3 is SGH-i747).
[SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 UNIFIED TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery + MORE [ATT] - xda-developers

You will have to wipe all data to flash Cyanogenmod but there are ways to backup your data, either with the toolkit or an app like Titanium Backup after you root.

I'll give this a try when I get home. Thanks! Any tips on using Titanium Backup? Also, any downsides to CyanogenMod? I heard I'd loose S-Voice, but that's no big deal. Will I still have burst shot in the camera?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Titanium backup is pretty straight forward. When you first open the app it will ask for root then it will make sure your settings are correct. The backups are saved on the sd card so even if u flash another rom your backups are always there to be restored. Carbon - App Sync and Backup is another one to check out since it doesn't require root but needs a computer to backup.

Yes you lose s-voice but that's just a gimmick compared to Google Now that you get in return. I know CM10.1 has burst shot on the camera app, not quite sure about CM10 I'll have to double check on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Titanium backup is pretty straight forward. When you first open the app it will ask for root then it will make sure your settings are correct. The backups are saved on the sd card so even if u flash another rom your backups are always there to be restored. Carbon - App Sync and Backup is another one to check out since it doesn't require root but needs a computer to backup.

Yes you lose s-voice but that's just a gimmick compared to Google Now that you get in return. I know CM10.1 has burst shot on the camera app, not quite sure about CM10 I'll have to double check on that.

Thanks, it was pretty easy to do. The only issue I had was not having the Google programs, but that was a very easy fix. I'm currently running a 10.1 nightly. If I wanted to either update to a more recent nightly or go to a stable build, will I have to reset everything? Also, how can battery life be improved?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, it was pretty easy to do. The only issue I had was not having the Google programs, but that was a very easy fix. I'm currently running a 10.1 nightly. If I wanted to either update to a more recent nightly or go to a stable build, will I have to reset everything? Also, how can battery life be improved?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

You can flash a new nightly or your old one without wiping everything. You don't have to flash Gapps every time. As far as battery life it's all how you use your phone. I usually keep my screen brightness fairly low and turn off the mobile network connection if I don't need it.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The build version number he has in this tool for 4.1.1 is JR003C. Mine is JR003L. Is this going to cause issues if I use the build version number he has in there?

If the root threads in this forum seem a little daunting try the toolkit. Its a little more user friendly to say the least. Be sure to pick the correct model number for your phone (the AT&T Galaxy S3 is SGH-i747).
[SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 UNIFIED TOOLKIT V7.0] Drivers, Backup, Root, Recovery + MORE [ATT] - xda-developers

You will have to wipe all data to flash Cyanogenmod but there are ways to backup your data, either with the toolkit or an app like Titanium Backup after you root.

Last edited:

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You can flash a new nightly or your old one without wiping everything. You don't have to flash Gapps every time. As far as battery life it's all how you use your phone. I usually keep my screen brightness fairly low and turn off the mobile network connection if I don't need it.

That's great news, I was afraid I'd have to reset my phone each time I updated CyanogenMod. Are there any roms that's preferred over CM?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The build version number he has in this tool for 4.1.1 is JR003C. Mine is JR003L. Is this going to cause issues if I use the build version number he has in there?

Not quite sure to be honest, I'd use Skunkape's guide in the sticky thread if your not feeling up to the toolkit. His guide is the "right" way to root, you just have to follow the instructions very carefully.

That's great news, I was afraid I'd have to reset my phone each time I updated CyanogenMod. Are there any roms that's preferred over CM?

And as far as custom roms go, CyanogenMod is my personal favorite. It's lean and doesn't have any of the touchwiz skins is so despise lol. But it's all a matter of personal preference. Try flashing a couple different roms and see what you like best, there are tons to choose from on XDA. You can always make a backup of your rom to restore later.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I discovered in the programmers blog that it will work with JR003L

Not quite sure to be honest, I'd use Skunkape's guide in the sticky thread if your not feeling up to the toolkit. His guide is the "right" way to root, you just have to follow the instructions very carefully.

And as far as custom roms go, CyanogenMod is my personal favorite. It's lean and doesn't have any of the touchwiz skins is so despise lol. But it's all a matter of personal preference. Try flashing a couple different roms and see what you like best, there are tons to choose from on XDA. You can always make a backup of your rom to restore later.

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
This tool works great! Easy to use

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

Thanks! I like CyanogenMod as well. However, it seems my reception has decreased. Is this normal? Or does anyone know of a fix?

tetsuo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site

The easiest way to update is actually to use the CMUpdater as long as you have a custom recovery that is compatible with it. Go to Settings->About Phone->CyanogenMod Updates and you can directly download and flash the newest nightly that way.

JWilcox6

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
If you used the toolkit you should have a custom recovery and can do a nan droid of stock and/or cm and flash away!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
If you used the toolkit you should have a custom recovery and can do a nan droid of stock and/or cm and flash away!

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

If i wanted to unroot and go back to stock, would I use the toolkit? Also, how do I SIM unlock my S3 running CyanogenMod?

Ronnie2

May 18, 2011
Visit site
You can use the toolkit to return to stock. As for sim unlocking as long as you bought your phone before the deadline you should be able to purchase an unlock code online or get one from AT&T if you're lucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair