Thoughts on the pentile screen?

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
For some yes, for some, no.

Almost all of my devices in the past few years have been made by Samsung (Captivate, Focus, Focus S, Galaxy S II, Note, Tab 10.1, 40" TV for my Xbox).

The only thing i notice about the screens is the cool blue color. I wear contacts or glasses and find it rather relaxing to my eyes.

I was playing with my TV and changing the color temperature for giggles and found the hotter red temps to be too hard on my eyes. I couldn't look at the screen for more than a few minutes before i had to change it back. On top of that, if you pump up the reds, all of your whites start to get a yellow hue.

So, frankly, i like the cooler blue tint.

Just sayin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Nobody is saying that your opinion is dumb,

Actually, the term was ignorant. Used by your-man back a few pages. To paraphrase, anyone that likes amoled pentile screens only likes them because they are too ignorant to know that the screen on the One X is better...

It's all back there a couple pages ago.

-Suntan

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
To paraphrase, anyone that likes amoled pentile screens only likes them because they are too ignorant to know that the screen on the One X is better...

It's all back there a couple pages ago.

-Suntan
Sounds about right! ;)

Also, instead of being ignorant, they may find another feature more important than the screen and learn to live with Pentile to have it.

Anybody who cares about color accuracy or clarity would not choose Pentile over LCD on similar size/resolution screens. (All else being equal / without considering other devices features).

Last edited:

neiljay6

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds about right! ;)

Also, instead of being ignorant, they may find another feature more important than the screen and learn to live with Pentile to have it.

Anybody who cares about color accuracy or clarity would not choose Pentile over LCD on similar size/resolution screens. (All else being equal / without considering other devices features).

Truly sad...So you heard it right here people. If you prefer the look of pentile, according to dreamliner, you don't have a mind of your own and are ignorant..

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Truly sad...So you heard it right here people. If you prefer the look of pentile, according to dreamliner, you don't have a mind of your own and are ignorant..
Please re-read my statement, particularly the bold part:

Sounds about right! ;)

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Nobody is saying that your opinion is dumb, if you prefer the oversaturation of AMOLED, you should buy it, as it's obviously better for you. The point that's being made is that from a technical standpoint, the display that can more accurately reproduce colors and has a higher rate of clarity is a better overall display.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

It doesn't matter how great the screen is on the HOX. It doesn't multitask. iOS multitasks better. I do own the HOX and have tested this. That is why I'm putting it on eBay.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter how great the screen is on the HOX. It doesn't multitask. iOS multitasks better.
Agreed. I hope there is a software fix for that. I'm so glad I waited to upgrade. I can't wait to see what Motorola & Apple is bringing in their next release.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Also, with SLCD2 on the One X it's capable of plenty...

No need to continually defend the One X. In fact, if you can find a single sentence where I have claimed the one X screen to be bad, inferior, or even that I prefer the GSIII screen to the One X, I'll owe you a coke. ;)

I also didn't state that anybody should try to undo the work of a director or artist that purposely makes something look like something other than reality.

Personally, that's exactly what I recommend for people to do.

If you know you like your media a certain way, by all means have it that way. The director will get over it after doing a bit more blow and kicking some models out of his mansion.

As a content creator myself, I would like you to see the image I created, the way I created it, but if it brings you more pleasure to see it differently, go for it.

If the display is calibrated correctly then it'll look exactly as the director/artist intended.

Indeed, but does that *really* matter for a phone in the grand scheme of things? I mean, Scorsese didn't really have a 4"-something screen in mind while Mr. Bickle was asking if anyone was, "Talking to me?"

But to that end, it would be interesting to measure what the output of the One X screen does display at.

Just to clarify, are you saying that you don't try to make your pictures as close to reality as possible?

What's reality?

Here's an example from a shot I did for a buddy a while back:

ESC_3749%20Color%2012x12.jpg

Does that look like reality to you? Yeah it looks like a car you've seen on the road plenty of times right?

But at the same time, when you're just walking through a parking lot (all be it an empty parking lot) does the light hit the car just so to make the skyline reflect off the hood but little else? Does the horizon reflect in the light cluster to give it more contrast, yet leave the windshield devoid of reflections? Heck, do you routinely get down and look at a car from about 3 feet off the ground? (Hint, the camera lens is below the height of the side view mirror.) To say nothing about what the colors actually looked like, have you ever stopped to appreciate the ghastly quality of light in a ball-field parking lot?

So I would say that reality is always in the area with my work, but it isn't the most important thing by a long shot.

Because if you are, then you obviously choose paper, ink, and a printer that will accurately print what's on your display.

When you look at the print in one of these, yes.

http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1191

But you've bought my print and hung it on the wall with a dingy CFL light hanging above it? Not much I can do about that.

And your display should be calibrated to display pictures as close to reality as possible,

Again, not reality. To a measured known that I want to mimic.

But at the same time, when my pictures are viewed on the web by other people, I *know* they are not being viewed the same way I am viewing it. I *know* that few people have the properly calibrated system required to see it exactly the way I do. In fact, for screen display, I process the image differently than for print. Most people have their displays way too bright for example, with the whites somewhat crushed. I can make an effort to compensate for it, but ultimately I know it is going to look really different to anyone at home looking at it on their screen. That's reality. Heck, that car pic above, I can almost guarantee that you're seeing it as brighter than I intended it to be. In the physical print, it is printed on metalic paper and it looks dark and brooding. But that's life.

and I'm just making a natural assumption that you're using a really good camera (DSLR) that takes awesomely accurate pictures (with proper white balance and such).

Actually, the cameras are not *that* accurate by themselves, believe it or not, they have to be profiled too, to compensate for inherent inaccuracies in the camera.

As for white balance, quite truthfully, most of the time I use an intentionally incorrect white balance. For example, see my little assistant/model here. All those 10 white patches on the top half of the checker represent a slightly different white balance, just for skin tones. Which one is correct? All of them!

FSC_3082.jpg

-Suntan

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter how great the screen is on the HOX. It doesn't multitask. iOS multitasks better. I do own the HOX and have tested this. That is why I'm putting it on eBay.

Mine multi-tasks just fine, certainly as good as your GS3. Took a little work, but whatevs.

And to suntan:

Watch the heelsandtech one x vs GS3. Most in depth and scientific phone review I've ever seen. Compares both screens vs the original , and it's not pretty. The One X almost perfectly reproduces colors while, the S3 turns darker colors totally black and some fairly light shades very dark, totally obscuring many details. It's really, really, really bad. And don't tell me it's biased they chose the S3 overall.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
No need to continually defend the One X. In fact, if you can find a single sentence where I have claimed the one X screen to be bad, inferior, or even that I prefer the GSIII screen to the One X, I'll owe you a coke. ;)

Personally, that's exactly what I recommend for people to do.

If you know you like your media a certain way, by all means have it that way. The director will get over it after doing a bit more blow and kicking some models out of his mansion.

As a content creator myself, I would like you to see the image I created, the way I created it, but if it brings you more pleasure to see it differently, go for it.

Indeed, but does that *really* matter for a phone in the grand scheme of things? I mean, Scorsese didn't really have a 4"-something screen in mind while Mr. Bickle was asking if anyone was, "Talking to me?"

But to that end, it would be interesting to measure what the output of the One X screen does display at.

What's reality?

Here's an example from a shot I did for a buddy a while back:

Click to view quoted image

Does that look like reality to you? Yeah it looks like a car you've seen on the road plenty of times right?

But at the same time, when you're just walking through a parking lot (all be it an empty parking lot) does the light hit the car just so to make the skyline reflect off the hood but little else? Does the horizon reflect in the light cluster to give it more contrast, yet leave the windshield devoid of reflections? Heck, do you routinely get down and look at a car from about 3 feet off the ground? (Hint, the camera lens is below the height of the side view mirror.) To say nothing about what the colors actually looked like, have you ever stopped to appreciate the ghastly quality of light in a ball-field parking lot?

So I would say that reality is always in the area with my work, but it isn't the most important thing by a long shot.

-Suntan

Yeah, but then when you you look at that already modified image on an S3 the dark blues and greys turn totally black and it practically looks like night. Just plain bad. I just looked at it on my pals international. I can take some pictures comparing both phones with that picture you posted if you really care to see.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Wow this thread blew up since the last time I posted...lol. Sniffs posting about the blue tint reminded me of something....

On their own...each screen is good, maybe even great. Side by side...both screens pros n cons show up. Both screens....pros n cons. Both screens.....lol.

Whoever thinks the one x screen doesn't has cons.....well....all I can say is nothings perfect. Like in that detailed screen comparison from heels and tech...the gs3 screen did better in some areas. And some ppl will just prefer the over saturated amoled screen. Yes, some ppl will just prefer it. They will. Prefer.

Just speaking on LCD vs. amoled...what I can't see unless in specific instances. .and looking closer than normal....pentile.

What cons I can see more of on amoled screens when side by side with LCD: blue tint, less white n bright. Blue tint especially looking off center. the cons I see more of on LCD: brightness or contrasts seems to be cranked up, giving a washed out look. The colors are gonna be preference. Srry. They look muted on LCD. They don't have that ummph the over saturated amoled screen has. More accurate? Maybe....I just don't like it anymore. Technically better? Maybe. I just go with what I like. And right now its the over saturated amoled screens.

Ignorance is bliss, opinion, preference...whatever. As long as we make up our own minds about what we like, don't like. cuz if I went by forum talk....I wouldn't have found out the RAZR has a nice screen. I was looking at my RAZR walking in my building at work today. I know for an absolute fact one cannot make out Pentile while walking n using the phone. if you can...you have amazing eyesight. Walking n using the phone...example of real world use...

As I type this, screen looks white. I tilt and I can see blue. If I get my Rezound...the Rezound would look whiter n brighter no matter the angle. On their own....each screen is fine. On its own....the Rezound probably wouldn't look washed out. Blacks would look fine.

IMO....of course.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Mine multi-tasks just fine, certainly as good as your GS3. Took a little work, but whatevs.

And to suntan:

Watch the heelsandtech one x vs GS3. Most in depth and scientific phone review I've ever seen. Compares both screens vs the original , and it's not pretty. The One X almost perfectly reproduces colors while, the S3 turns darker colors totally black and some fairly light shades very dark, totally obscuring many details. It's really, really, really bad. And don't tell me it's biased they chose the S3 overall.

It does NOT perform multitasking. Does your browser always refresh when you go back to it? Do your apps refresh when you have more than 2 open? When you switch back to a game, does it save your place or do you have to restart the level?

If you say it saves your place in a game, you are in denial.

Took a little work to get the HOX to multitask? I won't need to do that on the S3. You sound like iPhone people who say it is the greatest phone if it's rooted.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
It does NOT perform multitasking. Does your browser always refresh when you go back to it? Do your apps refresh when you have more than 2 open? When you switch back to a game, does it save your place or do you have to restart the level?

Took a little work to get the HOX to multitask? I won't need to do that on the S3. You sound like iPhone people who say it is the greatest phone if it's rooted.

No I don't have any of those issues you listed, and no I'm not in denial. I flashed CM9 and overclocked the CPU to 1.8Ghz. I can run tons of apps simultaneously, I've never had one task get killed with CM9. I went from Playing Max Payne to Chrome to comment on it, then to YouTube and then Facebook and then back to Youtube. When I finally went back to Max Payne and it was still running. And it took me maybe an hour to root, unlock and flash the phone. This is my first Android as well since an old galaxy S I had ages ago. I'd never flashed a Rom or rooted a phone, and all I can say is it was easy.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
That's a concept design produced by a teenager, not an actual IPhone 5. Please read what you post, before you post it, or you'll end up looking foolish. Unless that was a joke, in which case, ha ha.

So i am a fool for posting a mocked up iphone5 video?

Please read before i post something?

So after watching the video and then copying and pasting it here means i
didn't read it or have no idea what is was about?

Boy your something else.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
No I don't have any of those issues you listed, and no I'm not in denial. I flashed CM9 and overclocked the CPU to 1.8Ghz. I can run tons of apps simultaneously, I've never had one task get killed with CM9. I went from Playing Max Payne to Chrome to comment on it, then to YouTube and then Facebook and then back to Youtube. When I finally went back to Max Payne and it was still running. And it took me maybe an hour to root, unlock and flash the phone. This is my first Android as well since an old galaxy S I had ages ago. I'd never flashed a Rom or rooted a phone, and all I can say is it was easy.

How can you defend a phone's multitasking ability when you had to flash a custom ROM to get it work? The problem is with Sense. I won't have to flash a ROM to have working multitasking on the SGS 3.

If you have to flash a custom ROM to get basic functionality, the phone is flawed. The average user doesn't know how to do that and shouldn't have to. iPhone people new to Android will think that is a problem with Android, when they see the multitasking is worse on the HOX than the iPhone.

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site

Actually, the HOX "can" do multitasking, it's just that HTC purposefully made memory management aggressive and tasks will close very quickly. The user can override this, but I have no idea if most HTC owners realize this or how easy it is to accomplish?

P.S. you don't "root" iDevices. You "jailbreak" them and load tweaks via Cydia.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
So i am a fool for posting a mocked up iphone5 video?

Please read before i post something?

So after watching the video and then copying and pasting it here means i
didn't read it or have no idea what is was about?

Boy your something else.

No what you did is say the transparent screen of the iPhone 5 will be the best screen, and included a link, when in fact the iPhone 5 won't have a transparent screen, that's just a concept made by someone who doesn't work for Apple. Don't be silly.

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
How can you defend a phone's multitasking ability when you had to flash a custom ROM to get it work? The problem is with Sense. I won't have to flash a ROM to have working multitasking on the SGS 3.

If you have to flash a custom ROM to get basic functionality, the phone is flawed. The average user doesn't know how to do that and shouldn't have to. iPhone people new to Android will think that is a problem with Android, when they see the multitasking is worse on the HOX than the iPhone.

No, The average user won't notice or care about the multitasking, as shown by the many delighted apple migrants. The people who have issues with it could easily fix it if they don't like it. I did in under an hour and I'm a total android noob. That's a pretty minor inconvenience. But whatever.

sirheck

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
What's your PayPal address so I can send you some money so you can buy a clue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12