How Sammy will slam Apple over LTE

oldmanjenkins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
So if Samsung tries to shut Apple down with litigation is that ok?

Everyone hates Apple because of litigation says it's BS and to let innovation decide the smartphone wars.

Do we apply a double standard and say it's ok for Samsung? Do we love Samsung for doing the same thing we vilify Apple for? Do two wrongs make a right?

Just curious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX via Tapatalk 2

Most deff not but Samsung's litigation I think has just been in response to Apple's litigious nature. I think if apple could find a way to sue competitors over the use of the letter "a" they would on the grounds that the letter in question was proprietary and any use without the expressed written consent of Apple is strictly prohibited.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site

Everyone hates Apple because of litigation says it's BS and to let innovation decide the smartphone wars.

Do we apply a double standard and say it's ok for Samsung? Do we love Samsung for doing the same thing we vilify Apple for? Do two wrongs make a right?

Just curious.

Very good point you make here, would Samsung stoop down to Apple's level if its found the iPhone 5 infringes on Sammy's LTE patents? Yes I believe so and its not just because Samsung would want revenge but I think it would also be Samsung wanting to teach Apple a valuable lesson on how to compete as a buisness.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Just curious.

When there is a big kid on the block bullying everyone, you need someone to stand up and throw back a punch and knock him down for once. That is not a double standard, it is called teaching someone a lesson. In this case two wrongs do make a right.

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site
It used to be you would combat competitors with better tech but apple just doesn't seem to have any original ideas.

you know, i keep seeing statements like this and anyone that really beleves this is thinking with their emotions and not logic. Apple made the mp3, smartphone, tablet, tv boxtop and ultrabook categories what they are today. Is it a coincidence that Apple happens to dominate all those categories, save for cell phones, in which case it is about even with Samsung. And I don't buy the whole "isheep" mantra. While there are crazy devoted Apple lovers, there def aren't a quarter of a billion of them in this world.

As for original ideas, Jon Ivy has been one of, if not the, most influential designer/engineer within the mobile tech industry in recent memory. You think for one moment that if any other tech company could lure Ivy away from Apple that they wouldn't take the opportunity? How many "ultrabooks" look like the Macbook Air? How many boxtops look like the Apple TV? How many tablets followed the design of the iPad?

I'm not one of the Apple faithful, but I recognize the contributions to the field of tech.

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
With all this talk about Apple being evil, unethical, bullies, and other online induced herd mentality vilification, you'd almost think people forget the history of chaebols, of which Samsung is one of the largest. In that light, Apple is a relative angel.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
With all this talk about Apple being evil, unethical, bullies, and other online induced herd mentality vilification, you'd almost think people forget the history of chaebols, of which Samsung is one of the largest. In that light, Apple is a relative angel.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

People are just going by what they know from the most recent couple of decades or so.

NO, no company is perfect. Samsung certainly has flaws, but NO, They do not make apple look like Angels.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-i727 on ATT LTE

oldmanjenkins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Who cares, I just want my damn phone on schedule. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Amen brother. I'm not panning Apple as the epitome of evil (said with the voice of Dr Evil). I am also not saying Apple has not done its part in progressing the industry with cutting edge tech (Apple got me through my undergrad). What I am saying is that all parties involved are in a pissing contest to see who has the larger hard drive. If any improprieties have occured this is something that can be hashed out later not at the expense of the consumer. But like Ballmer has (and has not) done for Microsoft Jobs did for Apple. He was so focused on the destruction of an OS and so incapable of seeing consumers prefer their product over his he was willing to skutle his "ship" to sink his competitor. He was not interested in proving his product was better than theirs. He was on a juvenile power trip. Samsung has them by the ubiquitous balls since they have the tech Apple needs for their product to work.

I'm just ready for this phallic waiving to stop so the consumer can have access to the product. Let the lawyers do what they do, litigate and the consumer do what we do, consume.

Last edited:

radar320

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I think Samsung should step up and go after Apple if they introduce phones with LTE technology. One, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander, and two, it had been said here that Apple going after everyone and anyone under the sun is good for their business, well the same holds true if Samsung does go after Apple.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think a really drastic thing to do would be to simply withhold technology from Apple, if I were Samsung. But that wouldn't be fair because Samsung did in fact copy facets of Apple's software and two wrongs does not make something right. Apple is never going to back down and I understand that, but this is potentially going to hurt the consumers, which is essentially why WE are concerned, in one degree or another. What I can see is at least a peaceful settlement, but knowing how Apple operates and it's history, that is not going to happen.

This is becoming like the Windows fiasco all over again.

oldmanjenkins

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung should step up and go after Apple if they introduce phones with LTE technology. One, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander, and two, it had been said here that Apple going after everyone and anyone under the sun is good for their business, well the same holds true if Samsung does go after Apple.

It is the same way Fresenius Medical Care did it for dialysis. Not only are they dialysis providers but they control manufacturing of dialysis machines and dialysis filters so Davita (the next largest dialysis provider) not only has to compete for patients but has to purchase machines and filters from Fresenius if it wants to continue in the dialysis field.

Joseh720

May 9, 2012
Visit site

Just curious.

no two wrongs doesnt make it but two wrights made a airplane

sukant08

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I'd think Samsung will not be interested in trying to get any sort of injunction on Apple products, but rather ask for royalties for the use of LTE patents!! Maybe it might even bargain for letting go of all the silly lawsuits. I mean the money samsung might save in lawyers fees itself might be worth it!!

Stopping the sale of iPHONE will hurt Samsung!! After all Samsung makes the components !!

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Question is, who owns the other 90% of LTE patents? Does Apple own any sminal related LTE patents or joint own through NORTEL patents? Are the Samsung patents under FRAND? Lots of questions that article failed to cover or explain.

The FRAND issue is the key one. If these patents fall under that, then there is nothing Samsung can do.

Reactions: Ry

Chdwil

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I can understand that people are upset with Apple about the way they handle things, but I am not going to cheer for Samsung either. They are all about the money as well. Anyone who has ever had to deal with Samsung regarding product issues knows what I am talking about. One thing no one can bash Apple for is their superior customer support. Just because I use a Samsung product does not mean I am going to cheer for them. I like Samsungs current phones, but if something else comes along that I like more I will move on.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think a really drastic thing to do would be to simply withhold technology from Apple, if I were Samsung. But that wouldn't be fair because Samsung did in fact copy facets of Apple's software and two wrongs does not make something right. Apple is never going to back down and I understand that, but this is potentially going to hurt the consumers, which is essentially why WE are concerned, in one degree or another. What I can see is at least a peaceful settlement, but knowing how Apple operates and it's history, that is not going to happen.

This is becoming like the Windows fiasco all over again.

Apple is buying hardware from Samsung and other vendors. It would be business suicide to go back on those deals.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I can understand that people are upset with Apple about the way they handle things, but I am not going to cheer for Samsung either. They are all about the money as well. Anyone who has ever had to deal with Samsung regarding product issues knows what I am talking about. One thing no one can bash Apple for is their superior customer support. Just because I use a Samsung product does not mean I am going to cheer for them. I like Samsungs current phones, but if something else comes along that I like more I will move on.

Exactly. Everyone is arguing about businesses, whose first goal it to make money.

Reactions: taylorz_412

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
If the patents are core to LTE then they will most likely end up falling under FRAND status and Samsung will have to license them. That said I actually don't have a problem with a company defending its inventions, my problem is that they purposely file patents that are extremely vague and are not specific and that our patent office continues to approve them.

Having a design patent that uses words like "roughly" or "approximately" is a joke. I also have a fundamental problem with software patents that generalize real world products and interactions with high level diagrams and are granted. Not to mention the granting of patents to multiple people that all do essentially the same vague thing, but word it differently.

Reactions: Ry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty