Samsung Galaxy SIII vs. HTC One X vs. Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocke

pennylilithwise

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi all!

I am new to this forum and soon-to-be new to android (an iphone convert!).

I am on ATT and considering between a few phones.

1. The HTC One X
2. The Samsung Galaxy SIII
3. The Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket

I am not a high-tech person and I really don't understand the difference between one-two-or-four quad processor things, I just want a great phone that works well for apps, photos, etc.

I know everyone is probably wondering why I'm considering the SII Skyrocket up against SIII (I assume everyone will say SIII is clearly much better) but the reason I've proposed the three is-

HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy SIII are both $200 and the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket is $10.

So what I need is...

1. HTC or Samsung?
2. What makes the SIII really $190 better for a non-tech person?

Big thanks to everyone for your advice!!!

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
How many places are you going to post this? Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a Skyrocket and if its only $10, you can't go wrong with that. The GSIII will just be over kill for you imo

Reactions: pennylilithwise

Chdwil

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy SIII vs. HTC One X vs. Samsung Galaxy SII Skyr

I've had the One X, currently have the Skyrocket, and have the S3 on order. I'm assuming you have AT&T if your considering the skyrocket. My advice is call AT&T, ask them to unlock your iPhone, sell it for more than the S3 costs on contract, and pocket the extra cash. AT&T will unlock all off contract iPhones. This adds considerable value to them for resale.

The One x is a tremendous phone but I want more available storage than the 16 gb it offers. So I returned it.

The Skyrocket is a really well rounded phone. It just does everything well, except for battery life. The S3 is basically the Skyrocket on steroids, and to me that's is irresistible.

pennylilithwise

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

What is the battery life like on the Skyrocket?

My iPhone has "water damage" (I live in a very humid area and they admit it's likely just from that) but that voided my warranty and results in the battery life being 3-4 hours standby and maybe 45 minutes talk time. Skyrocket has gotta beat that! :)

Chdwil

May 9, 2012
Visit site

I keep mine plugged in a lot while driving so battery life is good for me. But keep it unplugged all day and you will be dead with normal use after a few hours.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
What is the battery life like on the Skyrocket?

My iPhone has "water damage" (I live in a very humid area and they admit it's likely just from that) but that voided my warranty and results in the battery life being 3-4 hours standby and maybe 45 minutes talk time. Skyrocket has gotta beat that! :)

Wow, that sucks. Would be nice if you could change your battery.....

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Let me tell you something!

Go look at the screen on HTC one X and GS 3 and go look at skyrocket. The decision becomes much easier. I have the one X right now, but I am returning it for GS3. I love the phone and it breaks my heart to let it go, but I am already running out of space on it. I have like 2gb free and I can't count on cloud storage with 3gb a month. So GS3 it is.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

The only reason I passed on the One X was that the battery is not removable, where as both the Skyrocket & GS3 can be swapped out if you had to.

The only thing you have to decide is if having the latest & greatest phone is worth approximately $8.50 per month over the course of 24 months. ;) Doesn't sound so bad phrased like that.

Shadowtc

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I choose my skyrocket I know its not the newest galaxy but I just got used to it and I can't change from it to the s3

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

The One X is much better than the SR if 16GB is enough for you.

The GS3 is much better than both of them with the SD Slot and some really good software features baked in.

HTC has upped their game hardware-wise but the software is starting to falter a bit, IMO. Samsung seems to be getting a bit better on the software side. TouchWiz Nature UX isn't as ugly as TW3/4...

I'm impatiently waiting for the GS3. It can't come soon enough, IMO, and I may end up getting arested breaking into the AT&T store to get one on release day...

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Interesting post since I am considering the exact same phones and also have an iPhone 3G. The tip about having ATT unlock it though is a great one, so thanks Chdwil !

Where are you seeing a Skyrocket for $10 though?? I guess it's a refurb right? I would be careful there since the warranty is much shorter than new. Amazon has it for $80 new though it was down as low as $40 recently and will most likely drop further once the GS3 is shipping.

As to the One X I have sort of ruled it out for many reasons of which the most important is the number of issues that have shown up with it due to both software and inconsistent manufacturing. And while I agree the screen is very nice, there's a reason Samsung is the biggest threat to Apple now rather than HTC, so for me, the choice is between the Skyrocket and the GS3. Right now I'm leaning towards the GS3 for many reasons. By the way, you can get a white GS3 on pre-order at Amazon for $149, no tax or shipping. My two cents.

mztiklimit

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

The North American HTC One X would've been perfect if there were 32GB and 64GB versions available. Unfortunately, 16GB (10GB available) with no micro SD and for some, removable battery, does not cut it. The price to pay would be importing the international version.

Now, between the Skyrocket and the GS3, I would suggest the Skyrocket. First of all, it is still a powerful phone (you don't seem to mind that as a "non-tech user"). Lastly, it's considerably cheap compared to the GS3. Seems like an obvious choice.

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site

The way i look at is why buy a phone that is already outdated? Buy the Galaxy s3. Remember you are keeping the phone for 2 years. Buying a flagship phone helps to ensure updates, the skyrocket once it possibly gets the ICS update will never get an update again. Just my 2 cents.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

The North American HTC One X would've been perfect if there were 32GB and 64GB versions available. Unfortunately, 16GB (10GB available) with no micro SD and for some, removable battery, does not cut it. The price to pay would be importing the international version.

Now, between the Skyrocket and the GS3, I would suggest the Skyrocket. First of all, it is still a powerful phone (you don't seem to mind that as a "non-tech user"). Lastly, it's considerably cheap compared to the GS3. Seems like an obvious choice.

Obvious choice is going a little too far. 2 years of contract, plus bigger battery, bigger screen, better screen, better resolution, way faster processor, 2gb of ram, plus latest android OS. Get it on amazon and save the tax.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Depends on how you're buying. The Skyrocket is still $149 on contract compared to a GS3 @ $199. The GS3 is by far the better value. Way better screen. Way better camera. Factorably larger battery. Much better software on the device. Twice the RAM, and an SD Slot that can accept double the capacity. It isn't even much of a choice in that, IMO.

However, the Exynos GSII was actually decent and with 23mbps HSPA+ seeing as how AT&T gets 10mbps down here a lot it could have been a bigger threat than the Skyrocket. But AT&T was smart. All their corporate stores sent all their Galaxy S2s back. I just tried to buy one and you can only get it on the website now... They were there 3 days ago, though, Lol. I'm a bit pissed... But I think i'll just move on and pre-order the S3 (though I really hate the button setup on it... like... REALLY hate that).

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

The way i look at is why buy a phone that is already outdated? Buy the Galaxy s3. Remember you are keeping the phone for 2 years. Buying a flagship phone helps to ensure updates, the skyrocket once it possibly gets the ICS update will never get an update again. Just my 2 cents.

People still do that?

/sarcasm... But really, especially people who frequent sites like this. Maybe I can go 18 months with one phone, but by then I'm seriously ready to get something new... Though I am getting to the point where I'm starting to care less and less about the latest and greatest and more about what "just works and has the features/capacity I need."

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

Obvious choice is going a little too far. 2 years of contract, plus bigger battery, bigger screen, better screen, better resolution, way faster processor, 2gb of ram, plus latest android OS. Get it on amazon and save the tax.

Also you may be able to pre-order straight from AT&T for $149 if the company you work for has an agreement with them. I know I can, and that's the rought I will take.

mztiklimit

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Depends on how you're buying. The Skyrocket is still $149 on contract compared to a GS3 @ $199. The GS3 is by far the better value. Way better screen. Way better camera. Factorably larger battery. Much better software on the device. Twice the RAM, and an SD Slot that can accept double the capacity. It isn't even much of a choice in that, IMO.

OP does not care about specs. Only cares about a good phone that gets the job done. Read his/her post. The Skyrocket was $39 on Amazon the other day. OP even mentions that he/she can get it for $10.