Okay I just pulled the trigger and per-ordered

okbow68

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I just per-ordered the S3. I'm coming from an 3GS so all this android stuff is new to me. Now I gotta figure out how to easily move all my contacts photos and music over when the new phone gets here. I think I can figure it out, there is so much more you can do though compared to the iPhone it's a little undaunting. :). If you have a suggestion on migrating contacts photos and music I'm all ears.

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
For your contacts and calendar, set up a google account and put them all in there. As soon as you log into your new phone, they'll all be there waiting for you.

For your files (photos, music), transfer them from your iphone to your computer and then from your computer to your S3

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
You had to set up an itunes account to have apps on your iphone. Android is Google so you must have a Gmail account for the same reason. Don't worry it will all be worth it:) and congratulations on breaking free.

Sent using Droid Razr Maxx

jdscustom

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone to a samsung device and the make it very easy with an app called samsung kies and it allows you to transfer everything including texts.. very nice app for mac and windows. Enjoy the new phone

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes but what if one doesn't want to set up a google account?

Look, you asked for advice. Having a google account is, by far, the easiest way of doing this, and most android features are designed to work with your google account. The advice I gave you is good (you're welcome, btw). If you don't like the advice, maybe you should just stick with your iphone and you won't have to worry about all these "daunting" new features.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes. If you do not have a gmail account as stated it is by far the easiest way to back up your contacts and calendar and emails. Once you start up a new android phone it asks you to put in your gmail account and password and then it syncs all of your accounts (mail, contacts, calendar, etc) and maintains them in real time if you have sync enabled. Google Play (app store) also uses your gmail account user name to track your apps, so you need it for that as well.

You can use the stock email app to send and receive emails from other email accounts if you wish but gmail really works the best with android in my experience.

I know no one wants another email address to track, but in this case it is well worth it.

jdscustom

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Tell me about Samsung Kies

Well its a program samsung makes.. google it and download it.. they have it for mac and pc.. so what I did is the computer i had my itunes on I made a backup of the iphone then installed the software kies it will allow import of the itunes library and also prompt you with a question it will ask if you are moving from an apple device click yes and it will come up with a menu of what you want to move to your phone like contacts, pictures, even texts.. its great and you can do backups of your samsung phone and restores from it too.. I know this was a bit of a ramble but just very busy so just a quick reply very easy to use.. recommend it

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
okbow68.. am curious why you decided to pre-order rather than wait until its in the ATT stores. Like you, I'm coming from an iP3G and am SO tired of the boring thing, not to mention it's a total slug. But I want to make sure my first Android phone is a good experience and am a bit hesitant to order something that's so new and untested in the US yet.

okbow68

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
JDCustom thanks I will check kies out.
Jontalk I figured I would get it the same day without the hassle of the store, and I have 30 days to try it if I do not like it I will return it to AT&T.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I guess you have a good point there.. So maybe I'll go ahead and pre-order through Amazon and save the $100+ over the ATT store not to mention the lack of a restocking fee if I'm not happy.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
kjangre.. I have a couple questions about Kies. I have been using an older laptop running Win XP SP3 where I have iTunes installed to sync with my antique iPhone. If I understand correctly, installing the Kies app allows me to import the music from iTunes so that I can transfer to the GS3 when it arrives, correct?

It took 2 tries, but I installed the Kies program on the laptop. When I open Kies, and select the Music tab and then click the import music files button, the window opens to select program to import from. Using the drop down I select the C drive, but it doesn't show the Programs so I can't select iTunes. So I tried selecting the Desktop instead since I have a shortcut for iTunes there, but it doesn't show iTunes there either. Any suggestions on how I can get Kies to work? Am stumped.

Thanks.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech