Amazon has the S3 for $149 (currently: individual upgrades only)

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Amazon has the S3 for $149 (currently: individual upgrades on

Wow! No sales tax at Amazon either (in most states...) so that's another savings

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Yeah.. great find for sure since I have an available upgrade. Am a bit hesitant to pre-order since we all know new devices have all sorts of issues when first released. Of course this deal is only on the white one. I have a feeling it will drop further in the typical Amazon process once it's actually being shipped though we never know now do we ;)

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Yeah.. great find for sure since I have an available upgrade. Am a bit hesitant to pre-order since we all know new devices have all sorts of issues when first released. Of course this deal is only on the white one. I have a feeling it will drop further in the typical Amazon process once it's actually being shipped though we never know now do we ;)

True, but believe me when I say this, with that mentality you are waiting until galaxy s4 comes out. We all doesn't include me. I believe android 4.0.4 is stable enough for everyday use.

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

True, but believe me when I say this, with that mentality you are waiting until galaxy s4 comes out. We all doesn't include me. I believe android 4.0.4 is stable enough for everyday use.
Ya, "we all" doesn't include me either. I have pre-ordered several phones and have never had issues. From all the reviews I have seen, the S3 is very well polished and ready to go. Don't forget, the rest of the world has already been using it for almost a month!

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Thinking I might have to pre-order it from here. $50 is $50....I dont think a BB or corp ATT store would price match this.

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Do be aware that Amazon makes you sign a contract with them, with an ETF (early termination fee), in addition to the contract you sign with AT&T:

"...if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes"

Shouldn't be a big deal for most people.

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I just called and canceled my order with att and placed it through amazon for the pebble blue. Almost 100 dollars saved including taxes. Estimated delivery date is the 25 for mine. Knowing amazon I wouldn't be surprised they ship overnight instead of two day shipping. They did that on my other upgrade on another line.

Last edited:

NYguyc

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

Thinking I might have to pre-order it from here. $50 is $50....I dont think a BB or corp ATT store would price match this.

They don't. I tried with the Galaxy Note. This is why Best Buy's mobile phone dept is doomed. If I didn't have $120 in BB gift cards I would go through Amazon Wireless for sho' and so would anyone else with half a brain.

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

My S3 was $148 on Corp site pre order. Said $248 less $100 instant rebate.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the heads up on the blue GS3 on Amazon for $149. As to Amazon's contract, they are not a service provider and get paid a commission for every phone they sell that's activated. As an existing ATT customer with an available upgrade, once the phone is received and then activated, the existing plan is grandfathered over and like all 2 year contracts there's an ETF. At least ATT hasn't as yet switched their data plans to the stupid shared thing Verizon just pulled ;)

I understand what you folks are saying about the unlikelihood of there being many issues, but some of the folks over in XDA will disagree with you. As you know, they've seen a number of issues with the international models already. And since Sammy is shipping the GS3 to all US carriers there is bound to be some hardware/software issues that will surface.

Since I'm a noob at Android, most everyone on this forum I've messaged with says that universally you won't find any device that doesn't have some issues since Andriod is open sourced and the various device companies have customized it with the exception of the Nexus.. Or did I miss something?

Regardless, I still think it makes sense to wait another week and then see how I like the phone at the ATT store. I don't need to be the first kid on the block with the new device :)

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site

Sorry jontalk, that's just not true. If you buy from Amazon, you enter into a contract with both AT&T and Amazon. If you cancel within 6 months, you will pay 2 ETFs:

Pay to AT&T: $325 minus $10 for each full month of service (expires after 2 years)
Pay to Amazon: $250 (expires after 6 months)

The first one is standard for all AT&T customers. The second is for Amazon customers only.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Sorry jontalk, that's just not true. If you buy from Amazon, you enter into a contract with both AT&T and Amazon. If you cancel within 6 months, you will pay 2 ETFs:

Pay to AT&T: $325 minus $10 for each full month of service (expires after 2 years)
Pay to Amazon: $250 (expires after 6 months)

The first one is standard for all AT&T customers. The second is for Amazon customers only.

Well this alone might just end up being a deal breaker! I'd rather pay another $50 with the choice of buying out my contract later cheaper...To be honest you never know why you may wanna buy your contract out early. I have done it in the past! Either way thanks for the good information!

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

kjnangre..Got it.

Since I've been a long term ATT customer with an available upgrade, they will grandfather over my existing plan (which includes unltd data and 200 txt msgs for $5), I have no reason to cancel the service contract. So the Amazon ETF is a non-issue.

I'm so tired of my old iP3G I think I may pre-order a Pebble Blue GS3 from Amazon. I doubt the price will get any better and as you know, if it DOES drop, Amazon will credit the difference. But since ATT charges CA sales tax on the non-contract price ($599?), the savings are over $100 which totally rocks.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

I understand what you folks are saying about the unlikelihood of there being many issues, but some of the folks over in XDA will disagree with you. As you know, they've seen a number of issues with the international models already. And since Sammy is shipping the GS3 to all US carriers there is bound to be some hardware/software issues that will surface.

I have the international version and its flawless, unless there is some bad SG3's floating around its truly the best device I EVER owned and that's a BIG statement cause I go through a lot of phones. The ATT HTC One X radios were a disaster, while international I never heard any issues. I'm praying the same thing doesn't happen to the ATT SG3.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site

ptm88... that's really great news, though the Intl version does not have the LTE radio like the ATT version will. I almost pre-ordered one from Amazon today but at the last minute I bailed since I would prefer to see it in person and play with it while comparing to the Skyrocket. There ARE some folks in these forums that feel the GS3 is not a quantum leap ahead of the Skyrocket, but from what I can see, it sure seems to be :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12