Is Find my Device Disabled?

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
So i was setting up my samsung account and i cannot find the "Find My Device" menu under security as pictured on the samsung site.

Per the site you do this
Step 1: Activate Remote Controls
To use the SamsungDive service, the remote controls of the mobile must be enabled.
Select "Settings > Personal > Security" from the main menu.
Select "Find my mobile > Remote Controls".

But these setting do not appear on the phone, it's like the menu has been removed, or am i just not looking in the right place?

lonesouth

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't have it either. Seems like typical AT&T BS, same thing on the iphones/dumb phones. AT&T takes the best features and strips them out so they can charge for stuff that should be free.

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
That really ticks me off that it's gone, it's a really cool feature...i wonder if Apple got mad about it, it is pretty much the exact same thing as find my iphone but improved.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Even BlackBerry has the same thing as part of the "BlackBerry Protect" app.

The paid Norton security app has many of the same features of BB Protect as well as sms/call blocking and virus protection. You can remotely lock and/or wipe your GS4 should it fall into the wrong hands. Unfortunately, no self-destruct feature.

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The paid Norton security app has many of the same features of BB Protect as well as sms/call blocking and virus protection. You can remotely lock and/or wipe your GS4 should it fall into the wrong hands. Unfortunately, no self-destruct feature.

....is this Norton Mobile Security in Norton 360 you're referring to?

spicedham

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't have it either. Seems like typical AT&T BS, same thing on the iphones/dumb phones. AT&T takes the best features and strips them out so they can charge for stuff that should be free.

You don't know what you're talking about. There's nothing AT&T stripped from the iPhone. The only feature att has control over is mobile hotspot that they require a monthly fee. The find my phone on the iPhone works just fine.

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You don't know what you're talking about. There's nothing AT&T stripped from the iPhone. The only feature att has control over is mobile hotspot that they require a monthly fee. The find my phone on the iPhone works just fine.

That is correct. At&t never touches the iPhones. I wish other companies would demand the same thing. You can find your iPhone from another iOS device or a computer. Its very easy to use.

Pdelponte

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Could be a bad/dumb employee but i just spoke with AT&T about this feature missing from the phone and here is what they had to say

Parker DelPonte: hello bobbie

Bobbie Franks: Hello and welcome! Thank you for using AT&T Wireless Online Support Chat for Warranty/Techinical Support! My name is Bobbie Franks and I will be assisting you today .

Parker DelPonte: do you see my question in the initial form i filled out for this chat session?

Parker DelPonte: here it is again if you didnt see it

Parker DelPonte: I just got a new Galaxy S3. I cannot find the "Remote Controls" setting that needs to be enabled for the "Find My Mobile" service from SamsungDive. Can you help me find it or give me info on why its not in my phone?

Bobbie Franks: Please give me moment.

Bobbie Franks: Here is a link to your device tutorial.

Parker DelPonte: k, but that doesnt really answer my question, the setting "Remote Controls" is not in the phone. Why?

Bobbie Franks: Please give me a moment.

Bobbie Franks: I am sorry I am not sure what you are asking.

Parker DelPonte: in order to set up the "Find My Mobile" feature from Samsung Dive i need to enable "Remote Controls". This SHOULD be found in Settings/Security but is NOT. I have read some forums and people are assuming that AT&T stripped this feature from the S3. I was just wondering if this was true or if the setting for "Remote Controls" is somewhere else

Bobbie Franks: I am sorry I am not aware of the that feature.

Parker DelPonte: this comes directly from the Samsung website: "Step 2: Activate Remote Controls After adding a Samsung account, the Remote controls will be automatically activated. The following process describes how to identify the ON/OFF mode of the remote controls. - Select "Settings" from the main menu - Select "Location & Security" - Check the setting of "Remote Controls"

Parker DelPonte: Samsung DIVE

Bobbie Franks: I am sorry if they are not in your setting and security I would contact Samsung.

Parker DelPonte: k, thanks for trying

kjnangre

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Seriously guys, Where's My Droid is a free download from the Google Play store and does everything you're looking for. If you want the remote wipe feature, you can buy the pro version for $3.99. I really don't see what the big deal is here.

Pdelponte

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is what Samsung had to say

Parker: i want to activate the "Find My Mobile" service from SamsungDive

Parker: do you know how to set up this on a Galaxy S3 from ATT

Parker: ?

Lucas: I understand that you want to activate "Find My Mobile" option form Samsung dive to galaxy S 3. Am I right?

Parker: yes

Parker: Galaxy S3 ATT

Parker: AT&T

Lucas: I am sorry to inform you that Samsung dive is not compatible to enable the option for Galaxy S3.

Parker: will it be available soon?

Lucas: As of now we are not provided with the exact information. However, when the option is available you find the details in Samsung website.