S III Battery life...

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So it seems that getting a replacement phone has done well for me. I have loaded most of the apps that I had before, except GSAM and The Weather Channel (the AT&T rep advised against them) and I have been running the Hyperion battery for almost 17 hours and I have 57% left right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354513901444.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354513901444.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 73

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
At the moment I don't have time to read all 18 pages of this thread so please excuse me if the topic has already been covered. Did your old phone always have poor battery life from when it was brand new? I just got mine on Black Friday and the battery life is noticeably worse than my Captivate Galaxy S was. I know the fact that the S3 is 4G/LTE accounts for higher battery usage (Captivate was 3G). As an example, today I was testing my phone auto syncing calender/tasks through my Outlook Exchange Server (which worked perfectly) for about a half hour and my battery dropped from 93% to 73%.

I use my phone for business (don't watch videos/play music) and I'm so concerned with the battery usage I'm seriously thinking about getting a Seidio extended battery case w/ Hyperion 4200 because I have times when I'm on the phone for a couple of hours w/ tech support in the field and have to send emails. I don't really want the Seidio case because it won't fit in my Akron car dock and I want a case w/ belt clip that allows the phone screen to face out (which the Seidio won't) but from everything I've read the battery usage demands an extended battery to have more than 4-5 hours of power even under moderate usage (in my case email/text/phone calls). Does everyone agree that's pretty much the case?

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
At the moment I don't have time to read all 18 pages of this thread so please excuse me if the topic has already been covered. Did your old phone always have poor battery life from when it was brand new? I just got mine on Black Friday and the battery life is noticeably worse than my Captivate Galaxy S was. I know the fact that the S3 is 4G/LTE accounts for higher battery usage (Captivate was 3G). As an example, today I was testing my phone auto syncing calender/tasks through my Outlook Exchange Server (which worked perfectly) for about a half hour and my battery dropped from 93% to 73%.

I use my phone for business (don't watch videos/play music) and I'm so concerned with the battery usage I'm seriously thinking about getting a Seidio extended battery case w/ Hyperion 4200 because I have times when I'm on the phone for a couple of hours w/ tech support in the field and have to send emails. I don't really want the Seidio case because it won't fit in my Akron car dock and I want a case w/ belt clip that allows the phone screen to face out (which the Seidio won't) but from everything I've read the battery usage demands an extended battery to have more than 4-5 hours of power even under moderate usage (in my case email/text/phone calls). Does everyone agree that's pretty much the case?

Mine was fine in the beginning (I think I got it in late July) but I started having issues around early October. I'm at 10 hours of battery life today and I've only burned 30% today using the Hyperion 4400 battery. Although usage was a bit lighter today than normal.

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
This isn't to bad at 75percent brightness
evytugad.jpg
se2yza5e.jpg

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Normal use is generally around 14-16 hours and i use my phone almost constantly for that on mostly wifi and sometimes 3g. I was shocked at how well airplane mode saved battery life! The pics below are using airplane mode most of the time. look at the difference! I always have brightness set at 0 and use the stock task manager to kill tasks before screen off.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354629202676.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354629202676.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 132
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354629378221.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354629378221.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 131

bogdaryl

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
@naviwilliams What are you running ROM wise? I'm no where close to anything like this. WOW! I'd love that kinda battery life.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
@naviwilliams What are you running ROM wise? I'm no where close to anything like this. WOW! I'd love that kinda battery life.

I've been getting 19 and 20 hours with 5-6 hours of screen time. I disabled some of the bloatware and have my screen turned down to less than 50%

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been disturbed by how fast the battery is dropping so far, but I have a feeling that has to do with the fact I haven't let the screen go blank since I picked it up this morning. :cool:

This is usually what happens to me. With my iPhones I always let them be, never picked them up except for texting and phone calls. Now with the S3 I can't put it down, I keep finding new things, widgets, everything... can't... put... it... down...!

Of course when I have put it down the JB update seems to have given me more battery life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

rong21

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting 19 and 20 hours with 5-6 hours of screen time. I disabled some of the bloatware and have my screen turned down to less than 50%

Do you have a quick list of bloatware you have disabled? I have disabled some but not getting 19 hrs of use. I used a post I found here back in August as a guide but am curious as to what else I could disable without screwing things up

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
look at your battery usage, disabling bloatware will only improve battery life if it is consuming it. and most of it doesnt...easiest way to improve battery life is to;
disble wifi and bluetooth unless it is being used.
turn screen on auto brightness,
minimize widgets, some our more power hungry than others
minimize applications, if you dont use it dont download it.
change email from push to 15 min - every hour, depending on how important they are
keep volumes low - med, unless necessary
regularly close apps that are multi tasking
disable apps runnning in background you dont need, specifically bloatware

those are just some simple tweeks that will improve battery life if needed... my wifes phone gets 3x the battery life as mine because for starters she doesnt play with it as much, and secondly she doesnt have nearly as many apps and widgets as i do...

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a quick list of bloatware you have disabled? I have disabled some but not getting 19 hrs of use. I used a post I found here back in August as a guide but am curious as to what else I could disable without screwing things up

There are so many..and most of it was "running" in the running apps screen.

What you can do is go to apps and all and then click on it and click "disable" and things that you can't uninstall, like Google +, which I don't use. First you choose "remove updates" and then after that open it again and the "disable" function will be there. I just went through and picked the things I just do not use. The email app is one I can't disable and it is constantly running. I don't even use it but rather the gmail app.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Since things are getting back to normal again after the JB update, I've now decided to check my battery time and this is what I'm getting right now. I'm testing "Easy Battery Saver" to see if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-07-17-19-53.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-07-17-19-53.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 50

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I will say this:
1. Apps that I don't use are disabled.
2. Screen brightness is rather low
3. The only widget I use is the default weather and time one. And sometimes I even remove that
4. For Twitter, I have notifications set to ten minutes, and lately it hasn't been 'very' active with notifications

I believe this is why I get the battery life that I do :)

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
look at your battery usage, disabling bloatware will only improve battery life if it is consuming it. and most of it doesnt...easiest way to improve battery life is to;
disble wifi and bluetooth unless it is being used.
turn screen on auto brightness. . . ? ? ?
minimize widgets, some our more power hungry than others
minimize applications, if you dont use it dont download it.
change email from push to 15 min - every hour, depending on how important they are
keep volumes low - med, unless necessary
regularly close apps that are multi tasking
disable apps runnning in background you dont need, specifically bloatware
Are you sure about the 'auto brightness' actually 'improving battery life'? I think I read somewhere either here or over on xda a while back? that the 'auto brightness' setting was NOT GOOD for battery life, and that it drew on the battery more than keeping the brightness slider down towards the low end.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay