GS3 WiFi - Is it Smart???

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you have WiFi turned on with the various connection options, does it only activate when a hotspot or wireless network is detected or do you have to buy an app?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Do I have to do the Ben Stein impersonation to get an answer? I am new to Android and would appreciate some feedback on my question.

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen any difference k, wifi from my Skyrocket. Best answer I can give you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I let my Dinc 2 make the choices all the time. The only time I turn it off is I know I'm leaving (the home or office) a WiFi area and I want to stream something (big MLB At Bat baseball fan) then I will turn off the WiFi because it can take 30 seconds or so as it loses WiFi to switch to 3G. I would just leave it on (3G and WiFi and let your phone choose). Sorry if you haven't gotten better/quicker answers - Welcome to Android.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app in the Play Store that would turn the WiFi on/off depending upon the detection of a hotspot so that the battery is drained? Thanks very much to those submitting answers. Did not mean to get testy.

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app in the Play Store that would turn the WiFi on/off depending upon the detection of a hotspot so that the battery is drained? Thanks very much to those submitting answers. Did not mean to get testy.

Take a look at Y5 battery saver.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

Zaisaroni

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Ypu need Wifi on to find hotspots.... You could use a program like Tasker to activate WiFi based on location though.

Edit: all smartphone WiFi radios will go to a sleep mode if not connected, and periodically check for a signal at some interval.