Navigation App

sburggsx

May 22, 2012
Visit site
And i'm not talking about the per-pay AT&T one.

I got to briefly try the Navigation app today when I picked up my daughter from the pool. My first impression was WOW! I travel a lot for work and use my GPS on a daily basis. I'm using an older model Garmin with 2008 maps. It does the job, and with any GPS you kind of have to get used to the way the software works. Several years and over 80k miles has me kind of comfortable with it.

If the nav app works as well as it seems too. (And if ATT doesn't turn it off.....) then I can almost see myself replacing my GPS with this. It was also fun having it plugged into the Jeep's radio's AUX port and having the lady give me directions in the middle of songs.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips that would be good to know?

sburggsx

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes the AT&T app will be deleted if I ever get that choice.

I got to play with the Nav app for a while again today for work. I'm very impressed with it. So far there are only two things I see as a problem:

1) It hits the battery pretty hard. I can't wait to get a car dock. That might make my GPS obsolete.

2) the screen kept going dim on me. I have a feeling there's a setting for this but I never really got the chance to look. Also I'm going to guess (hope?) that if the phone is docked with external power maybe it won't let the screen go off.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The Google navigation is great. I like the layers that one can bring up, especially the traffic layer. The satellite layer is useful as well. Only thing missing is a more 3D view like the Garmin. I replaced my Garmin GPS with my IP4. I like Google maps nav much better.

ttrimmer

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Another option is Waze. It's free in the Play store and I actually prefer it over Google Nav since it will update the travel time and even reroute due to traffic as you drive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
The navigation is indeed awesome. If I may share a quick story, *and I don't know if this is true or not in reference to the iPhone navigation.

I was with the wife's sister and her boyfriend going to a restaurant about a year ago. They couldn't remember where it was and they both have iPhone's. I said, "Why not just pull up Google maps and choose Navigate"? They said Navigation is paid only on their phones. Of course I'm sure there are many free navigation apps, but being iPhone users if it's not built in they don't know any better. I told them my Droid 2 has Navigation built in and I pulled it up, punched in the name of the place, found it and got voice navigation directions. We got there without a hitch.

Again, I'm sure many iPhone apps probably do this, but it's nice it's built right into Android phones and works so damn well. Can't wait to see how Apple does with their own "Map" software now that they are ditching Google Maps. Nazi a-holes :cool:

Rev.

Judy Jordan

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Any idea why the app disappeared from my phone after the latest update? Now all I have is VZ Navigator which wants $4.99 a month to run. Wish I'd never bought a Samsung phone. Every "update" makes the phone more useless. Waste of money.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Google Navigation icon did go away but it is now built-in to Google Maps. Same happened to Latitude it left Maps and now is in Google +

Hope that helps.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy