headphones + Mic

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
has anyone had any issues with the microphone working with 3rd party headphones. I am thinking I have a bad jack on my phone, but want to see if anyone else has had any issues. I will be checking the headset that came with the phone later tonight, but wanted to confirm Samsung didn't change any of the pin settings or anything on these phones.

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I have the P5 Bowers and Wilkens that work great with my laptop, blackberry and ipod touch but no dice with the galaxy s3. Not a deal breaker, but kinda sucks.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
My power beats have the same issue. Found out its a hardware limitation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Well glad to know I am not the only one, but getting seriously tired of Samsung changing standard things for no damn reason. I can understand, well almost, that volume up and down on 3 button headphones may not work, but seriously the microphone? that has to be one of the most standard things that should work no matter the headset used.

Anyone know what about the hardware limits it or is it just the software configuration in how it interprets the signals coming in from the different sections of the jack.

carlosrey23

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
... but getting seriously tired of Samsung changing standard things for no damn reason.

I think you have all wrong.....the one that changed from the standard was apple. The iphone is the only phone (to my knowledge) that has a four stage 1/8" plug. Everyone else uses a 3 stage (rings) connection. That is why you have all the controls that you get with all the iphone headphones, but they all specifically say that they (controls) only work with apple devices.

This has been an issues for years....

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I see why they send you headphone.... Compatibility issues. SMDH

While the free headphones that come with the phones always suck. Every good smartphone has come with free in ear buds for a while now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I think you have all wrong.....the one that changed from the standard was apple. The iphone is the only phone (to my knowledge) that has a four stage 1/8" plug. Everyone else uses a 3 stage (rings) connection. That is why you have all the controls that you get with all the iphone headphones, but they all specifically say that they (controls) only work with apple devices.

This has been an issues for years....

A few years ago I would have agreed with this, but as my headset works fine on my GS2 there should be no reason for it not working on the GS3. I am a bit confused though as why the stock GS2 headset has no problems with the MIC on either phone. I would think the GS2 headset would not work with the 3 either.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So in the other thread I created asking specifically about my Power Beats not working with the SIII, someone said it was a hardware issue, and not a software issue. Does anyone have proof of this? I'm reluctant to buy an in ear blue tooth piece, and would like to think there's hope for my headset.

thelastred

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just tested galaxy s 3 and the mic and all 3 buttons work on galaxy s3 and Sony ion phone
( I used the ur beats and htc beats solo to test it out ) but the Sony smart should work too

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The NOCS NS200H's for Android have full button support on the GS3. They don't sound quite as good as my NS400's, but at least the mic, volume up, and volume down buttons all work.

djdosage

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So in the other thread I created asking specifically about my Power Beats not working with the SIII, someone said it was a hardware issue, and not a software issue. Does anyone have proof of this? I'm reluctant to buy an in ear blue tooth piece, and would like to think there's hope for my headset.

Okay to finally clarify this issue for all.
In all of these explanations- imagine that the headphone plug is facing right (ie -->)
Connection types for headphones with volume controls, and a mic are labeled as TRRS. The original 3.5mm headphones (for the first ipods etc) used TRS- Tip, Ring, Sleeve- from left to right, Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground.

On TRRS there are 2 types- the original TRRS configuration was produced by Nokia and has a pinout of Left Audio, Right Audio, Mic, Ground.

Apple came along and in typical elitist fashion changed their pinout to Left Audio, Right Audio, Ground, Mic.

This is why many apple headsets will not work with android, because the last 2 connections, for Mic and Ground are switched. It also presents an issue with controls. The way that songs are skipped (forwards, backwards, and pause)comes through signals that are sent down the ground channel. The way that volume is increased/decreased happens through signals sent down the Mic channel. This is why- if you try a set of newer iPhone earbuds on the GSIII- as I have- the center button does nothing, but yet the volume up and volume down both pause tracks, and allow you to skip them!!

Apple has patents on their software that will interpret these signals- and in fact the resistances (the actual ohm resistance in-line on the controls- not to get scientific or anything :) :) :) are designed to work only with Apple products.

Hope this clarifies things up a bit