Kies will not recognize my Galaxy SIII

mckain87

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I have downloaded Samsung Kies and I was wanting to back my contacts up on that program and it will not recognize my Galaxy SIII. I have windows 7 and for some reason when I plug my phone it it says "Unable to connect to SGH-I747. Failed to retrieve device information."

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to Kies to recognize my phone. I am very interested in using this program so I can back my phone up.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried using Kies air? I mean as long as you have both the phone and computer on the same network.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Kies will not recognize my Galaxy S3

I have downloaded Samsung Kies and I was wanting to back my contacts up on that program and it will not recognize my Galaxy S3. I have windows 7 and for some reason when I plug my phone it it says "Unable to connect to SGH-I747. Failed to retrieve device information."

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to Kies to recognize my phone. I am very interested in using this program so I can back my phone up.

I had the same problem. If it doesn't detect it, unplug it from the USB, turn the phone off and back on, then reconnect it and it should work. Kies is just buggy as hell period but the above has worked for me everytime it's happened so far.

deucalion

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

3 operating systens xp SP3, W7 32bit, 64 bit, on the phone with sam support and seca hub and kies will not recognize s3 sgh i747m

what a waste of money on this piece of . what a joke samsung is.

I regret selling the iphone 4s for this expensive brick. Now I know why iPhone is King

deucalion

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

To all folks that give recos to help with S3 problems -

With Samsung help desk and SECA hub none of the below have helped -
  1. Reformatting the card
  2. Mounting / unmounting the SD card
  3. Resetting the phone
  4. Performing a "hard" reset on the phone
  5. Re-installing the firmware
  6. Having the USB debug option "on" AND "off" in BOTH cases - as an MTP device AND as a PTP device.
  7. Performing various re-installs on Kies with various stages on Step 6
  8. Un-installing and re-installing hidden device drivers for MTP, ADB and other Samsung drivers

THIS is a piece of junk. Both Samsung help desk and SECA hub were out of answers after an hour on the telephone support.

I repeat, THIS IS A PIECE OF JUNK.

Potential buyers - STAY AWAY.

Reactions: BEaRebel

zeteo

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I feel so badly for your experiences. A few days ago I would heartily agreed. Yours is but one of the problems which prompted me to return my S III. After some encouragement from the adults and mockery by the children, I got a second device. It is everything my first wasn't. I know it's a crap shoot, but you might want to give a new one a chance. I couldn't be any happier now.

BEaRebel

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site

1. Reformatting the card
  3. Resetting the phone
  6. Having the USB debug option "on" AND "off" in BOTH cases - as an MTP device AND as a PTP device.
  8. Un-installing and re-installing hidden device drivers for MTP, ADB and other Samsung drivers

THIS is a piece of junk. Both Samsung help desk and SECA hub were out of answers after an hour on the telephone support.

Wish I would have read your post prior to the ROYAL treatment by Tmobile.
My new Galaxy S III is having same problems with Kies as all of you.
I wonder why I must go thru all this BS for working system.
~BTW, have you had weird issues with images not transferring properly? Images/Files missing, etc? Thnx for your info.

deucalion

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

Wish I would have read your post prior to the ROYAL treatment by Tmobile.
My new Galaxy S3 is having same problems with Kies as all of you.
I wonder why I must go thru all this BS for working system.
~BTW, have you had weird issues with images not transferring properly? Images/Files missing, etc? Thnx for your info.

Yes, Images or pictures on the phone are recognized, but will not transfer.

What I hate about this is that I fell for the hype. In order to "get away" from Apple I opted for a plebian device, not realizing that Samsung just doesn't get it. What a fool I am?

iPhones simply WORK.

Archienj7

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine works fine and although I had trouble with KIES (it is a buggy program regardless) at first it's all working as it should. Maybe you got a bad phone? I know I like this one a hell of a lot better than the iPhone for sure. Sorry yours is acting up though.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

1. Reformatting the card
  3. Resetting the phone

So did you ever get it up and running? I'm having big troubles with mine also. I can't get Kies to connect with it. My Mac is running 10.8, and I'm using the kies20mac_s9 218 version, and it stays on "connecting", but never connects. This is killing me!!!

I've tried EasyTune, no good...DoubleTwist Air, no good... iSyncer, no good.

deucalion

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

So did you ever get it up and running? I'm having big troubles with mine also. I can't get Kies to connect with it. My Mac is running 10.8, and I'm using the kies20mac_s9 218 version, and it stays on "connecting", but never connects. This is killing me!!!

I've tried EasyTune, no good...DoubleTwist Air, no good... iSyncer, no good.

No mate, I gave up - Until the iPhone5 comes out I am using this as is without Kies

malcolmmckee

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

I had the same problem. If it doesn't detect it, unplug it from the USB, turn the phone off and back on, then reconnect it and it should work. Kies is just buggy as hell period but the above has worked for me everytime it's happened so far.

This worked for me. This software sucks but at least I can slooooowly back up my phone. Using Google for calendar synch though, just too slow and unreliable.

Tenjo

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Was having troubles connecting it to kies straight outta the box. Done the following steps and got it working.

Unplug the USB cable from the GS3
go to "Settings" > "Developer Options"
Enable "USB debugging"
Connect the USB cable from the GS3 to the PC
The PC will now install a bunch of drivers automatically
When the drivers have installed, unplug the USB cable from the GS3
go to "Settings" > Developer options"
Disable "USB debugging"
Connect the USB cable from the PC to the GS3

After doing this, the SGS3 connected to Kies

Last edited by a moderator:

Drayk

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I have downloaded Samsung Kies and I was wanting to back my contacts up on that program and it will not recognize my Galaxy S3. I have windows 7 and for some reason when I plug my phone it it says "Unable to connect to SGH-I747. Failed to retrieve device information."

OK....I haven't read all these posts but, I've had the same issue myself. Longtime blackberry guy here and I've learned a few bb tricks over the years.
I discovered that when the GS3 is undiscovered on Keis, it doesn't show in my comp as an external drive either.
Pull the battery. Not a "restart" but pull the battery. Works every time for me. This issue is infrequent, but it does happen.
I'm out....:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae