Galaxy Nexus or Galaxy S III

scottsglock17

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am making the switch from iOS to Android, and I am torn as to which device to get. I was thinking of either the Galaxy Nexus or the Galaxy S III. I am new to Android, and I am sure there will be a learning curve. Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

locote25

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Both of them are beautiful devices...... Cameras( front and back) are waaaaaay better in the GS3.. But with the nexus you get that stock ICS experience.... No carrrier apps... Just like the iphone. Also On android updates the first devices to b updated is the Nexus..... Now the GS3 has more features like Smart Stay, etc. I would strongly recommend go to YouTube and watch some reviews and comparison videos.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Nexus

Plus:
Jelly Bean now
OS updates very timely
Carrier Independence
No vendor skin applied to stock Jelly Bean experience (Touch-Wiz)

Minus:
Not so great camera
Not so great processor
No LTE - Ever
No expandability (no MicroSD card slot)

Galaxy SII
Plus:
Better processor
Better screen (I hate saying this because it is so subjective)
LTE (if your area supports it and it is expanding rapidly in AT&T land)
MicroSD card capability for expandability

Minus:
ICS and probably 5 months before Jelly Bean
Touch-Wiz
Bloatware (Vendor and Carrier add on apps)

If you are the impatient type who can't wait for Jelly Bean then Nexus is your choice unless you want to root and custom ROM the brand new SII. The reason I am going with SII is many of the minuses of the Nexus are permanent (no LTE, no MicroSD, 5Megapixel camera) while many of the major minuses of the SII are fixable (no Jelly Bean, Touch-Wiz) with patience and a third party launcher.

Just my take but both would be major steps up coming from a BB9800...

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: scottsglock17

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Nexus

Plus:
Jelly Bean now
OS updates very timely
Carrier Independence
No vendor skin applied to stock Jelly Bean experience (Touch-Wiz)

Minus:
Not so great camera
Not so great processor
No LTE - Ever
No expandability (no MicroSD card slot)

Galaxy SII
Plus:
Better processor
Better screen (I hate saying this because it is so subjective)
LTE (if your area supports it and it is expanding rapidly in AT&T land)
MicroSD card capability for expandability

Minus:
ICS and probably 5 months before Jelly Bean
Touch-Wiz
Bloatware (Vendor and Carrier add on apps)

If you are the impatient type who can't wait for Jelly Bean then Nexus is your choice unless you want to root and custom ROM the brand new SII. The reason I am going with SII is many of the minuses of the Nexus are permanent (no LTE, no MicroSD, 5Megapixel camera) while many of the major minuses of the SII are fixable (no Jelly Bean, Touch-Wiz) with patience and a third party launcher.

Just my take but both would be major steps up coming from a BB9800...

Mike

Are you talking about the gslll or gsll? You keep on saying the gsll... It was confusing, because this thread was talking about the gslll.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about the gslll or gsll? You keep on saying the gsll... It was confusing, because this thread was talking about the gslll.

He is talking about the s3. The S2 doesn't have LTE support.

It's just people having to get used to type s III instead of s II. Lol ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What are you talking about? The S2 can support LTE.

Anyways... to the original poster... get the Galaxy S3.

Bah yeah your right :x. I was on sprint and att one which didn't have them when I got it.. So my bad OP.

But we still know he meant the s3 but anyways. Like this quote here Get the s3. I'm loving mine

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I sent that from my TF101 and it always has problems with multiple letters. Sorry, I should have proof read but yes I was discussing the SIII (there I typed all three I's).

Mike

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I would and did choose the GS3 only because I am new to Android and have never had an ICS device without TouchWiz or Sense layered on top. Having TouchWiz made the transition from RIM to Android much easier. I believe that it only enhances the UX which is and should be the focus of a high-end smartphone. If the Nexus does not have LTE support, I would think that would be a deal-breaker. I really like the customization potential of my GS3 but am not technically savvy enough nor do I have the interest and time to root my phone. The GS3 meets my needs as I wanted to try a new OS platform as it appears that it would be a while until BB10 device is released.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the advice. Based on what I have read; I think that I will be choosing the Galaxy S III.

Hardware and camera on the GS3 are far superior to that of the nexus. However, if you're worried about always having the latest and greatest updates then you have to go nexus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Get an S3. I'm an ex iPhone user heavily embedded in the iOS ecosystem, and love my S3. Just make sure you download swift key 3 out of the box and avoid yourself a lot of headache.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Get an S3. I'm an ex iPhone user heavily embedded in the iOS ecosystem, and love my S3. Just make sure you download swift key 3 out of the box and avoid yourself a lot of headache.

This^^^^^ Also, go into developer settings and turn animations to 05. You'll be happy you did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dumb1

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat never owned an android device coming from a iphone 4. I'm hoping I can walk into a store tomorrow and pickup a S3. The only reason I'm choosing the S3 over the Nexus is because of the Micro SD slot. It's a shame phones are getting away from this. Anyway good luck in your transition and with the new device let the journey begin!

spicedham

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I own both. The s3 has better specs but i feel the Samsung skin ruined the ease and convenience google tried to do with the ice cream sandwich update. If you want better specs get the s3 but the nexus has the better software in my opinion.

scottsglock17

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the exact same boat never owned an android device coming from a iphone 4. I'm hoping I can walk into a store tomorrow and pickup a S3. The only reason I'm choosing the S3 over the Nexus is because of the Micro SD slot. It's a shame phones are getting away from this. Anyway good luck in your transition and with the new device let the journey begin!

Let me know how that goes. I am looking forward to doing that on Friday. Enjoy your new phone and OS. :)