Can an SIII be charged with an iPad charger?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
With my iPhone, it always charged faster with the iPad charger but what about an SIII? I guess I just need to try it myself but I'm just curious if it would charge my SIII any faster because right now, this isn't the fastest charging device in the world, and I'm always looking for ways to get it charged even faster. Has anyone tried this?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
you can use the usb wall plug.. but theyre's a reason the ipad one would charge faster.. its cause the ipad charger has a higher output voltage.. yea it would charge you phone faster but it wont last as long.. the samsung chargeds longer at a lower voltage , hense it will give you a fuller charge..

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
On the Podcast a couple of weeks ago they talked about chargers and issue for charging time is the amperage of the charger. Jerry said the sweet spot for great charging and battery life seemed to be around 2 amps. The closest one around is the Blackberry Premium Charger that puts out around 1.8 amps to a microUSB plug.

Mike

Reactions: icewater106

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
.. but theyre's a reason the ipad one would charge faster.. its cause the ipad charger has a higher output voltage.. yea it would charge you phone faster but it wont last as long.. the samsung chargeds longer at a lower voltage , hense it will give you a fuller charge..

I believe all USB chargers and ports on computes put out 5 volts, that is the USB standard. Its not the volts its the amps. I am sure your ipad charger has a higher output of amps.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about the Ipad block or cable?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I was refering to the wall charger not the 30pin connector itself. I know the SIII uses mini usb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I was refering to the wall charger not the 30pin connector itself. I know the SIII uses mini usb

Again it depends on the rating of the wall charger block. It should be stamped / written on the charger block itself. The one I have on my TF101 (Original Transformer) is variable voltage from 5-15 volts with a 1.2 Amp rating. The charging circuit of the phone should limit the voltage to 5 volts but the amperage rating is the one that determines how long it takes to charge. The standard iPod charger is 5 Volts and 1 Amp. You just need to check the readings on the iPad charging block. If they are 5 Volts and 1.2 up to 2 Amps then you should be able to use it and get a pretty quick charge without harming your battery.

Mike

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Again it depends on the rating of the wall charger block. It should be stamped / written on the charger block itself. The one I have on my TF101 (Original Transformer) is variable voltage from 5-15 volts with a 1.2 Amp rating. The charging circuit of the phone should limit the voltage to 5 volts but the amperage rating is the one that determines how long it takes to charge. The standard iPod charger is 5 Volts and 1 Amp. You just need to check the readings on the iPad charging block. If they are 5 Volts and 1.2 up to 2 Amps then you should be able to use it and get a pretty quick charge without harming your battery.

Mike

Thanks for the response. The iPad charger says 10W usb power adapter. Output 5.1V 2.1A
I guess my best bet is just to try it out and see what happens. :)

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be right near the Sweet Spot that Jerry claimed in the podcast. You are probably good to go with that charging block.

Mike

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Seems to be right near the Sweet Spot that Jerry claimed in the podcast. You are probably good to go with that charging block.

Mike

Awesome good to know. I bring my iPad with me everywhere, as well as my phone and hate the idea of carrying around 2 chargers so this would be perfect. I know anything less than the iPad charger and the new iPad takes all day to charge. Thanks for the reply.

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm using my iPad charger without any issues. In fact I have bought a few extra iPad chargers and use them with most of my usb devices. Haven't had an issue yet.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I suspect it charges faster, gets hotter, and runs the risk of damaging the battery or phone.

Don't u think Samsung wants their phones to charge as fast as possible?

They did not include a 2 amp charger for a reason.

Just say'n

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I suspect it charges faster, gets hotter, and runs the risk of damaging the battery or phone.

Don't u think Samsung wants their phones to charge as fast as possible?

They did not include a 2 amp charger for a reason.

Just say'n

Mike

Everyone want's their phones to charge as fast as possible and since this trick worked with my iPhone I figured it might work here. Regardless the Samsung charger has been ok but again everyone always wants a faster charge time.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I rather pop in a spare battery at 5pm than rapid charge /fry my phone,tethered to charger for an hour or two in the afternoon.

I like 100% power when I leave work.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Everyone want's their phones to charge as fast as possible and since this trick worked with my iPhone I figured it might work here. Regardless the Samsung charger has been ok but again everyone always wants a faster charge time.

its not a trick, using a higher amperage charger will charge the battery faster , but it can also die faster because charging faster doesnt give it as full a charge

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There's a circuit in the phone that might limit the charging rate. So using a higher amperage charger might not charge the phone any faster.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084