Group Texting Help!!

Anthony212

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Heres my problem, I just switched from blackberry and so far the s3 is an awesome phone. Now my friends and I use group text to make plans and stuff. I did notice that with this new phone I don't get any group texts, just individual, meaning I would have to respond to each and every person separably instead in one big conversation. Is there an option to turn on group messaging? Or do I need to download something?

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The stock messaging ap doesn't support group text as far as i am aware. I believe handcent sms supports it and goSMS does as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am also new to Android coming from BB where BBM was great. Is ChatOn only for different Android devices? I thought it was a cross-platform app.

Anthony212

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The stock messaging ap doesn't support group text as far as i am aware. I believe handcent sms supports it and goSMS does as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ok thats great but now my main question is, does everyone need to have the app in order for it to work or will it just take over my current stock message app

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
ok thats great but now my main question is, does everyone need to have the app in order for it to work or will it just take over my current stock message app

Handcent and goSMS are message app replacements and work the same as the stock app except with additional features. So no they do not require other people to have them installed to use them. GoSMS does have a GoChat option for other users of the application, but I usually disable that.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Handcent and goSMS are message app replacements and work the same as the stock app except with additional features. So no they do not require other people to have them installed to use them. GoSMS does have a GoChat option for other users of the application, but I usually disable that.

Will using a 3rd party app like Handcent result in double messages since you will have 2 messaging apps on the phone.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Will using a 3rd party app like Handcent result in double messages since you will have 2 messaging apps on the phone.

Nope they all get delivered and stored in the same database on the phone. You just need to turn notifications off on the stock app to prevent double notifications.

I should point out that the 3rd party apps have had an occasional glitch on certain phones where they would double send messages. this has happened with the stock app on some carriers as well. I don't believe there have been any issues reported with the GS3 regarding that and I can personally say I have not had any issues with goSMS.

Sankentris

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What I had to do to be able to continue group chats with my old iPhone buddies was install GroupMe, and so did they. Then we turned on "Switch to SMS Mode" in GroupMe and then it forwarded all messages to our stock messaging apps, I'm using Go SMS Pro, they are using the iPhone messaging. You can then reply to that message and then everyone can send and receive messages through their stock messaging app instead of continuing to use GroupMe. We all killed off the GroupMe notifications so we basically kind of cheated to get a group chat from different OS's all in the stock app. Works out great for us! Don't know if GroupMe is available on blackberry's tho :-/

Reactions: jsj817

jsj817

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
What I had to do to be able to continue group chats with my old iPhone buddies was install GroupMe, and so did they. Then we turned on "Switch to SMS Mode" in GroupMe and then it forwarded all messages to our stock messaging apps, I'm using Go SMS Pro, they are using the iPhone messaging. You can then reply to that message and then everyone can send and receive messages through their stock messaging app instead of continuing to use GroupMe. We all killed off the GroupMe notifications so we basically kind of cheated to get a group chat from different OS's all in the stock app. Works out great for us! Don't know if GroupMe is available on blackberry's tho :-/

Does this mean you're still paying for your texting plan through your wireless carrier?

lgoucher

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I just got Galaxy S3 and trying to figure out group texting. I downloaded handcent sms app. I am able to send group text, but when individuals reply it does not reply to all. Looks like I have to go back to my original group text to reply to all, otherwise only the person who replied to my initial group text will be the only one to get my reply to their response to my original group text!!! What do I need to do for all group texting replies and responses seen by all?

phil1100

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I too am a new android user. Just switched from iPhone 3gs to Galaxy s3. What is the soltution to this group messaging issue? There must be some solution or app somewhere, right? Dont tell me the sandard iphone messaging app can do something that neither the standard s3 or any of the apps can do. Please help resolve this issue, anyone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21