For those that have updated and miss local search..

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
If you don't want to go and install the old version from XDA, you can simply install Google Gesture Search and put the shortcut on your home screen, or customize the swipe up/down action(using a different launcher of course) to auto launch Gesture Search.

It still searches locally and it's quite cool how it does it.

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm running APEX Launcher pro and have enabled search by gesture. What you are saying is that local search still works when search is initiated by gesture after the OTA update??

Edit: I downloaded Google Gesture Search app from Play.Very cool app. I like it better than the search bar and it searches local. I may install that update yet. There are some very good work arounds and there is always rooting. Trying to get my head around rooting still.

Last edited:

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Yep! I've been using it for awhile.. I do like it better than the search bar because sometimes that search bar can lag real bad as it fetches data from the internet.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
If you don't want to go and install the old version from XDA, you can simply install Google Gesture Search and put the shortcut on your home screen, or customize the swipe up/down action(using a different launcher of course) to auto launch Gesture Search.

It still searches locally and it's quite cool how it does it.

Google needs to patent that one, for no other reason than to block the import of the iPhone 6 or whatever. Actually Google needs to spend more effort fighting Apple patents and their own prior art to reduce the number of lawsuits and bans. Maybe since Apple went after the Nexus this last time it will wake Google up and get them more involved.

Mike

Sailindawg

May 10, 2012
Visit site
That's the double edge sword of being open source. Your ideas can be used by others.

I did update and gesture search worked fine afterward for local search. However I did back up the original .apk file and reinstalled local search after updating. Gotta love android! : p

Last edited:

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
That's the double edge sword of open bring open source. Your ideas can be used by others.

I did update and gesture search worked fine afterward for local search. However I did back up the original .all file and reinstalled local search after updating. Gotta love android! : p

Yes, but they cannot patent them AFAIK. Hell with our patent system maybe they can and then sue you for using your own IP...

Mike

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci