Phone answers itself AND predictive text issue.

techyguy717

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
1) When my phone rings, it sometimes answers itself to speakerphone, just by me looking at it. It's always when I'm about to put my finger to the screen to answer or reject.

I can't reproduce the problem, but its annoying because it happens at random. What is going on here?

2) I like swipe, but I don't like how the predictive text tries to change what i'm typing after only 2 letters. How do I change that?

danbee46

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with the predictive text. It got to the point that I had to find a way to turn it off. Here's how: Go to any app that uses a keyboard such as email or messaging. When the keyboard appears tap on the settings icon. There will be an option to turn predictive text on or off.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you have face unlock turned on in settings->security->screen lock? Or is smart stay turned on in settings->display?

techyguy717

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank for your response.

danbee46:

I did try disabling "predictive text" but then I can't use swipe. I used swipe all the time on Samsung Galaxy S 1. I would miss it.

Is there another way to change predictive text, so that it doesn't try to change what i'm typing after only 2 letters?

BBrefugee:

face unlock is turned off.

smart stay is turned on.

Does this explain why why phone answers itself into speakerphone mode, without even touching the screen?

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm a clueless FNG but this phone has about 50 permutations when it comes to answering calls. You may have stumbled upon some fatal setting combination. Are you moving the phone at all when this happens? Maybe something is the Motion settings is causing it.

Thank for your response.

danbee46:

I did try disabling "predictive text" but then I can't use swipe. I used swipe all the time on Samsung Galaxy S 1. I would miss it.

Is there another way to change predictive text, so that it doesn't try to change what i'm typing after only 2 letters?

BBrefugee:

face unlock is turned off.

smart stay is turned on.

Does this explain why why phone answers itself into speakerphone mode, without even touching the screen?

Newtoandroid99

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue today. My phone was in my pocket and some how it answered itself while I was walking, I never even heard it ring. The phone was facing my leg in my pocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

kcblessing

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same exact issue with the phone answering itself using the speaker phone. I do use face unlock but the phone was laying on a table and I wasn't even touching it or looking at it.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I had to turn off predictive text, too. I'd be trying to type the word 'protect,' and it goes, "oh you don't, you're typing portrait." Man, that thing is a bully!

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Im glad I'm not the only one. The predictive text on the stock keyboard is way to predictive. I can barely type any words and its trying to change everything. This sucks cause I like predictive text but I had to disable it cause its almost unusable.

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I tuned it off because it was annoying, but it would let me finish typing a word over the suggestion and get on with the sentence.

pippia

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with auto answer and I thought it was random but when I found the setting I realized it was set to auto answer after 10 seconds. Assuming it's the same thing, here is the fix:

go to your phone keypad like you're going to call someone

hit the menu button to the left of the home button

click 'call settings'

choose 'accessory settings for call'

make sure 'automatic answering' IS CHECKED

(Notice it says "Automatic answering only operates with a connected handset") I overlooked that when messing with settings and since I hate auto answer, I unchecked it -- therefore turning on auto answer for my non handset phone calls. I also had the 'Automatic answering timer' set to 10 seconds, which made me think it was randomly answering but in reality I was rejecting or answering prior to the 10 second time frame.)

Reboot your phone (I had to do this to make it take effect)

Hope that works for you!!! Good luck!

jsj817

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for posting this! I was having the same problem with my phone auto answering and couldn't find the setting to fix it.

naldonnis

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a problem that it won't correct anything. If I mistype the word hey with "hye" it will show hey in blue that it should correct to, then when I hit space it will say, "do you want to add "hye" to your dictionary?" It does it with everything that I misspell. I don't know to fix it. The stock samsung keyboard was working just fine before the update. Any one found a way to fix this problem?

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
First thing i did is installed Jelly bean keyboard from the google play and disabled autocorrect and suggested words. Also i turned off smart stay and S voice and some other crap like that. So i dont know if it has something to do with autoanswer but im not experiencing anything like that.

naldonnis

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have another keyboard installed but I do like the stock samsung keyboard. I don't know how to fix the auto correct that doesn't correct anything.

bryanb64

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey Techguy, noticed no one has ever answered your question about changes after 2 letters. Go here on your phone:
Settings > Language & input > Samsung keyboard (setting symbol) > Predictive Text (word) > Word completion point. The last option will allow you to choose 2, 3, 4, or 5 letters for the word completion. I bumped mine to 4. Hope that helps you and maybe others.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I do not like the built in samsung/swype keyboard on the SGS3. I downloaded Swype from the .com website. You just setup an account, it sends you a link to download the installer, and boom you have original swype. :) As far as predictive text, it still bugs out sometimes and when browsing the internet and you are backspacing, the auto text start wigging out and trying to put words back in as you delete the letters. But other than that it works much better then the factory samsung /swype keyboard.