Back to iPhone 4s

ccfixx

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
And when has anyone been able to send messages on WiFi?

The OP may have been referring to MMS messages over wi-fi, which the Galaxy S III does not allow. From my conversations with Samsung support, Samsung designed the phone not to allow MMS over wi-fi.

On my HTC EVO - SMS & MMS over wi-fi all the time.
On my HTC EVO 3D - SMS & MMS over wi-fi all the time.
On my Samsung Galaxy S III - SMS only over wi-fi.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
The biggest problem for Android is their devices are good enough that Google doesn't have to hire "Genius's" to spoon feed the benefits to consumers. iOS users are so reliant on these bars, that they can't venture out on their own. They needed that status symbol that an iPhone produces or they aren't happy.

Choices and control is not for everyone. Some people need their decisions made for them, and that's why Apple exists. Steve Jobs knows them better than they know themselves and that is how they like it. Tim Cook takes over for them now, and as long as that apple logo is on the back, they trust Cupertino. It would be a shame to have a GS3 in an Apple fan boys possession anyway.

Sent via Droid Razr Maxx

That is silly and juvenile.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I thank those of you who have made serious replies. Because I really had no experiences with which to compare what I was experiencing with the G3, I never thought the device might be defective. I had both called AT&T tech support, and had the phone looked at in store, no one suggested I might have a defective device.

I am glad to see some adults on here.

I too am glad to see adults on this forums because they leave the child like conclusions out of their reviews of products.

I have owned iPhones from the 3G through the 4, which my wife has now. I started using Android a few years ago with the Samsung Captivate (a Galaxy S device).

The Captivate needed some polish, as it was running Froyo when I bought it, but it also had some potential. I eventually sold it to buy a HTC Inspire 4G. It too, had potential, but I am a tech lover, so I sold it when the Galaxy S II came out.

The SII had Gingerbread and was an all around better phone than the Captivate and Inspire in my eyes. I enjoyed the lightweight construction (Apple fanboys call it sub-standard construction, or cheap) as it felt light in my hand and pocket. Samsung was also fine tuning TouchWiz, which I personally like.

After the SII, I bought a Galaxy Note. It is a significantly sturdier device than the SII in a sense that it weighs more and is bigger due to the larger screen. A great device, which in my eyes is already ahead of the iPhone in numerous ways like input, camera and screen size. I also gave this to my wife as she is using it instead of her iPhone for the stylus input alone. She hasn't complained about it once since I gave it to her. Oh, it is upgraded to ICS with no problems whatsoever.

I now own a Galaxy S3 16GB Marble White with a 32GB SD card installed. I run 84 or so apps on it and use it every day. In the month or so I have had it, I use it on WiFi and off. My WiFi has disconnected at home four times to my knowledge and every time it happens, it is because my Apple router was power cycling itself. Hmmmm.

Within that month, my battery life has been on par every day with every other phone I have owned in the past few years, including my iPhones. I take it off the charger at 7 AM, and have around 20 to 30% battery when I put them on the chargers at night around midnight. If I stream video on 4G, because I am not in a LTE area yet, the battery does seem to drain a little faster, but that is why I carry a spare charger in my battery in my laptop bag, so I can live it up and not worry about the battery. On top of that, I went almost a full month and only used around 1.25 of 2.0GB data on my plan.

All in all, I would have to rate the Galaxy S3 better that the iPhone, but that is my opinion, not just because I like Samsung or Android and hate Apple with a passion. The SIII brings to the table a stylish device with a 4.7" screen that honestly is gorgeous. I have never had my device drop WiFi without a hardware failure from my router, I don't bleed data, and surely don't run my battery down every day. If you had the device, it was most likely defective in some way, as others have said.

If you took the device in for replacement/service and was told by techs that there was nothing wrong with it, then that only leaves one explanation for the problems. User Error.

Remember, Sherlock Holmes once said: "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Reactions: slosh74

sphinx23

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm liking my S III,just came over from an samsung infuse and this phone is much better than another one I've had before.I do remember that I was frustrated at times with the android os on the infuse,and now I can say that with the S III I am glad that I have stayed with an android phone.This phone rocks and so do the rest of you out there :cool:

Rooch

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually had this EXACT same error where wifi would constantly be dropping and reconnecting, and the battery life on the S3 was terrible. I had to return it and the new one worked fine, but man seriously the constant dropping of wifi all the time made it terrible and made me want to go back to the Iphone 4s. Having the 4s for a month it was a nice experience to have imessage and it really should not be underestimated how nice that program is it is slick and nice to be able to send all those things over wifi.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
No I sure had it. There were several things I liked but what didn't work was horrible. My usual data usage is less than 200 mb a month, with the G3 I used 2.5 gigs in under a month due to the fact it wouldn't stay connected to my wifi. I am disabled and seldom get out.

I need a totally dependable phone. The G3 failed. I really tried to like it.

I have an apple airport extreme router and I had to go into the wifi settings and force it to stay on the 2.4 ghz band versus allowing it to automatically select. Not sure why it doesn't play nice with dual band routers. I've had other android devices behave in the same manner.

As for sending sms/mms over wifi I have had no issue. Maybe the fact that you weren't holding a solid wifi connection was keeping your MMS from going through. Should not however create an issue with SMS

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually had this EXACT same error where wifi would constantly be dropping and reconnecting, and the battery life on the S3 was terrible. I had to return it and the new one worked fine, but man seriously the constant dropping of wifi all the time made it terrible and made me want to go back to the Iphone 4s. Having the 4s for a month it was a nice experience to have imessage and it really should not be underestimated how nice that program is it is slick and nice to be able to send all those things over wifi.

Don't blame your phone, it could just be your wifi router needs some tune-age.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, my only prior experience has been with BlackBerry, and now I have spent a whole week (yowza!) with the SG3, forcing myself to face the prospect of giving up my physical keyboard in order to move into more advanced smartphone territory (RIM put out its latest development, the fabulous new BB7 a year ago. You can't move that slowly in technology). Well, I am loving it. I have the 5 gig plan to avail myself of the mobile hotspot functionality. I just checked, and I have used all of 87 mbs. I guess I won't be going over this month.

I cannot imagine why the OP has had so much trouble with wifi. I have certainly not heard of any major problem in this regard (as with the Asus Transformer Prime, for instance). If he prefers the iPhone, however, he should by all means go back to it. This is just a device, a piece of electronic equipment, not a religious icon. People should use whatever seems best to themselves.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
According to Apple's latest TV commercials, Apple owners are too lame to know how to use their devices independently and must rely on a "Genius" to figure it out for them. So I guessing the OP's inability to deal with a bad network, operator errors and or bad phone is understandable.

Come on, this guy's a troll. Why else go to the trouble of posting his disdain for the SG S III and his love of Apple. If he really was just a dissatisfied owner he would have returned the phone and moved on with Apple. But no, he has to let everyone know of his plight: troll or lonely attention seeker (aka Apple fan boy).

Reactions: b0btech and 20blks

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I can "GUARANTEE" you that Chaton is way better than imessage. First of all, you can use it on other platforms. Give it a shot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Rooster7six

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My sIII drops wifi a lot. Same problem for me. I'll be at my house and my laptop is showing full wifi signal, but my phone drops. Should I exchange it?

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes a modified luxury car is not for everyone. Too big, too much to handle, and too many bells and whistles.

A Yaris is simple, small, and just works with no thought.

Raneciansamaiya

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Being a long time iphone user since the iPhone 3g... Ive had every iPhone since then. Traded my iPhone 4s in for my SG III and to be honest I love them both. They both two amazing devices. I love the simplicity of the iPhone. Its straight forward. With my SG III I love being able to customize my device to my liking. Which is one of the main reasons for switching.

I own a MacBook Pro every since I had my iPhone and the one things is miss is iTunes. Things were so easy and free. I didnt have to buy an app that would sync my music. Kies is a 50/50 for me. Its just syncs my music but not my playlist which is annoying. I dont think I should have to buy a app to do something so simple. Other than that I like them both. Andriod in my opinion is a little more complex. But its good cause you can pretty much do what you want. With the iPhone you can if you jailbreak.

So to me they are both amazing phone its just a matter of how into your phone you are. If you want something simple and straight forward iPhone is for you. If your a person who likes to completely personalize and customized your phone SIII or Andriod is for you.

Just My two cents...

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I would have loved the G3, but ... not being able to send messages on wifi is bad. The reception was horrible! I am within 8 feet of my wifi, and it would drop the signal land go to 4G with 2 bars! Full bars on my iPhone both wifi and cell.

The spam produced by malicious apps was unbelievable!

I think the reason your thread comes across fishy to others is because you sight an unusual amount of issues that others simply aren't having. And I think the biggest alarm bell is, "The spam produced by malicious apps was unbelievable! I have NEVER received a spam notification on my iPhone." I've never once had spam or malware on my Android phone (had a Droid 2 for nearly two years prior) so it can tend to come across as an iPhone user that read one of those old Android malware articles on the internet. Top that with you also having wifi and cell reception issues? Too many issues to reasonably believe unless you really just had one hell of a lemon. And if you did... why not think, "these are way too many issues to be anything other than a lemon especially if there aren't a flood of these very same complaints online"?

As for feeling cheap... that's always to be expected from a few users. It's an innate human response to feel that things that are lighter or thinner are "cheaper" or more fragile - doesn't make it true though. If you want a real heavy brick of a phone and can't get over the feeling of something lighter or thinner than simply go with what makes you feel right.

Rev.

Last edited:

htabbach

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Maybe he was trolling but I actually switched from Android to iOS and never looked back. I owned a couple Android phones and an ICS tablet and they all gone now after my wife got an iPhone. After playing with it for a few days I dumped all my Android devices and went iOS for the first time. Look, Apple may not be the best company but they sure produce quality products, the reliability of iOS far exceeds Android. No more restarts and lag, that's a fact! Even my 4 years old, who I gave my Android tablet prefers my iPAD, go figure!

ashykat

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The biggest problem for Android is their devices are good enough that Google doesn't have to hire "Genius's" to spoon feed the benefits to consumers. iOS users are so reliant on these bars, that they can't venture out on their own. They needed that status symbol that an iPhone produces or they aren't happy.

Choices and control is not for everyone. Some people need their decisions made for them, and that's why Apple exists. Steve Jobs knows them better than they know themselves and that is how they like it. Tim Cook takes over for them now, and as long as that apple logo is on the back, they trust Cupertino. It would be a shame to have a GS3 in an Apple fan boys possession anyway.

Sent via Droid Razr Maxx

This is absolutely ridiculous. The Genius Bar is set up for technical support, not spoon feeding benefits. I for one think it's great that a technology company has abundant support in store, and at least they know how to fix their users issues rather than taking your Android/BlackBerry/Windows phone into your carrier and having them scratch their head and tell you the red lines on the liquid contact indicator mean you have liquid damage. I support all good technology and iOS is far from perfect, but so is Android. That being said I still choose Android for me, but I know plenty of very tech savvy people who choose iOS because it fits their needs better. I've also known many Genii, many with more Microsoft Certifications than Apple ones, and they're not idiots either. Comments like yours don't help the Android community.

Reactions: slosh74 and XChrisX

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
This is absolutely ridiculous. The Genius Bar is set up for technical support, not spoon feeding benefits. I for one think it's great that a technology company has abundant support in store, and at least they know how to fix their users issues rather than taking your Android/BlackBerry/Windows phone into your carrier and having them scratch their head and tell you the red lines on the liquid contact indicator mean you have liquid damage. I support all good technology and iOS is far from perfect, but so is Android. That being said I still choose Android for me, but I know plenty of very tech savvy people who choose iOS because it fits their needs better. I've also known many Genii, many with more Microsoft Certifications than Apple ones, and they're not idiots either. Comments like yours don't help the Android community.

I guess you haven't seen the latest Apple Genius ads. They take all of the wind out of your argument's sails.

tohio

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe he was trolling but I actually switched from Android to iOS and never looked back. I owned a couple Android phones and an ICS tablet and they all gone now after my wife got an iPhone. After playing with it for a few days I dumped all my Android devices and went iOS for the first time. Look, Apple may not be the best company but they sure produce quality products, the reliability of iOS far exceeds Android. No more restarts and lag, that's a fact! Even my 4 years old, who I gave my Android tablet prefers my iPAD, go figure!

Then why are you still monitoring and participating in an Android forum.. Yes, you have the right but do you have a reason?

Reactions: Tom S.

TnA206

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
wow, thanks for your "contribution"

Just sounded like u were putting everything about the phone down, generally when u run into multiple issues on a new phone out the box and a factory reset doesn't fix it up take it in for an exchange -even iPhone- no pun intended just sounded like a troll. Hope it all works out for u. Don't go back!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

Sent via Droid Razr Maxx

This post is so ignorant I don't know where to begin, but I will give it my best shot. Vanilla Android on it's own is a spectacular OS. However the OEM's skin it so badly and remove certain key features that in some ways the experience almost becomes quite dreadful.

Having the genius bar for the iPhone, or any Apple product for that matter makes owning an Apple product that much more pleasurable especially when you need it. It's so easy to disregard this fact when owning a device that doesn't offer these same benefits. I dread the day my S3 needs physical repairs, and I have to send it back to Samsung when I know I could have gotten it replaced for free had it been an iPhone.

Some people need their decisions made for them, and that's why Apple exists.
Some people need a phone that just works out of the box without having to mod or "tweak" their phone to get it to perform simple tasks. Not everyone needs a special keyboard that can't even get basic text prediction correct, or a separate e-mail client just to manage several accounts. Or even worse, a phone that requires the user to disable half the functionality of the phone just to get it to last most of the day.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot I love about my S3, and I have no regrets making the switch. However it irks me a bit when I ready unfounded ignorance such as what was posted above. Sorry for the rant but it had to be said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21