how do I install an *.apk file?

gkamer

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have lost my global search on my phone. I read a post about downloading this file that will restore it. I downloaded the file, GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk but I don't know where to go from here. any thoughts?

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Open your "downloads" app. All you have to do is click on the file and it will bring up an install window. Also you can download a file manager from the market. ES File Explorer is the best. :cool:

gkamer

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I should have mentioned

In hindsight I should have mentioned that file is on my pc and I have not yet been able to afford a micro sd card. I don't know if that makes a difference.

strabo231

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Do you have email access on your phone? You can just email the file to yourself on your computer. Open the email on the phone. Click the link for the file, which will download it. Then you can open the file from either your notifications drop down, or from the downloads in your app drawer. Either way will prompt you with an installation screen. This probably should have been my first suggestion! :cool:

Reactions: myteemike870

pdl2mtl90

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Can also use Dropbox, Google Drive, or SugarSync. Move the apk file to one of them, install the app on your phone, open app, and click on the apk and it will install.

okbow68

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Can someone show me a screen shot of what the global search on the phone looks like. I dont know that i have even seen it. I suppose I dont have it, but am getting it back in an update to come soon? Anyway screen shot please?

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
One other thing. You must check the "Unknown Sources" option in Security to allow installation from anything but the Play Store.

Mike